E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
getchellad
Living Large

My Ride: 02 330xi, 01 C320,
Send a message via AIM to getchellad
XI Guys please respond... Driving on beach

Hey has anyone with an XI driven there car out on the beach where you would typically need a 4wheel drive, such as in the outerbanks. I'm wondering if our cars have enough clearance, and if they will sink in the sand.
getchellad is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Smoothpnoy

My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
i've driven it on the beach, snow, puddles, no problems here.... but the sand wasn't that deep... it was pretty even and a little compact. the snow, i've plowed through about 10-12" of snow and no problems, felt some wheelspin a little but gotta love Xi.
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
MJTSUB

My Ride: E63 M6, E60 M5
a little deflating of your tires will help you from sinking as much and provide better traction also.
MJTSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
getchellad
Living Large

My Ride: 02 330xi, 01 C320,
Send a message via AIM to getchellad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothpnoy
i've driven it on the beach, snow, puddles, no problems here.... but the sand wasn't that deep... it was pretty even and a little compact. the snow, i've plowed through about 10-12" of snow and no problems, felt some wheelspin a little but gotta love Xi.

Yeah I've driven through snow such that the car was acting as a snowplow. When the driveway in CT was unplowed this last winter in the morning, I actually had to reverse through the snowbank at the road in order to get out, it was so steep.

I'm wondering though, how well it will handle deaper sand, such as you find in the outer banks, nc. Where you have deaper ruts in the sand etc... Do you think I'll start dragging in the sand, or do you tink the XI xtra inche of clearance will help out with this.
getchellad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I would be extremely hesitant to take my car out to any loose sand. It definitely doesn't look like it has the ground clearance to handle that kind of terrain. But I'm no sand-driving expert, so, if people can prove otherwise, I shall stand corrected.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Nick325xiT 5spd
BMW Land Barge

My Ride: '04 M3 & '99 323i
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd
if you care about your car, you won't do that.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
Smoothpnoy

My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
beautiful picture nick
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
wolf328ci

Location: in my garage welding your rear subframe mounts back together
My Ride: magic carpet
not the greatest idea in an xi, but

if you aired down the tires, kept the rpms low and consistent, and MOST IMPORTANT, washed the underside profusely afterword, it should be fine. Hope you have a buddy with a decent 4x4 to pull you out should the need arise.

"Boys, tonight the beer is gonna flow like wine"
wolf328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
I'm sorry, you want to drive your car on WHAT???

I won't even begin to list all the nasty things sand will do to your poor bimmer.

Keep her on the road and in the snow where she belongs. The XI is a road car. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
Wrong Way

My Ride: work in progress
Haha, sounds like you want to go fishing off the beach. I think you're better off in a 4x4 if you're driving on sand. If you deflate your tires like you're suppose to, you'll lose 1-2" of clearance.
Wrong Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
So whats the XI for???
Quote:
Keep her on the road and in the snow where she belongs. The XI is a road car. Nothing more. Nothing less.

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
So whats the XI for???
Better traction is snow and rain maybe?

To the O.P. I wouldn't do it. I was in the Marine Corps and when I got FAP'ed out I was one of the game wardens on base and I had a brand new 2008 Dodge Dakota with a 4.6? Magnum V8 4x4 and I kept the tire pressures at like 18 out on the beaches and even that little lightweight (relative term) powerful (again relative) truck had plenty of troubles out on the Carolina Beaches. Granted that we used those beaches for landing AMTRAKS on, so there were DEEP ruts. Heck I even got stuck chasing someone down out there and to get them to yank me out (needless to say they didn't get a ticket) that was one of the more embarassing moments of my life...
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
So whats the XI for???
Please take videocamera along, and when you get on beach, start recording for us...please.

After I fitted mine with my new roof--many here know I cut off my original one and trimmed a Range Rover roof to fit on...and it really looks much better than you think (will have to update sig photo one of these days)...anyway, that got me to thinking about how to carry my fishing poles...so, a few holes in front bumper, some pvc pipe with caps at the bottom and voila. Anyway, was on the beach, cruising along, and this, mind you , in just an "i"...anyway, wheels got stuck, but no problem at all. It was winter, so I had 100 lbs of sand in the trunk...just sprinkled some down in front of tires, and then it struck me...there's like tons of sand around...my extra sand didn't do anything.

The next day I returned to find that high tide had dug the car down to halfway up the doors...and covered my pole holders. No problem...new holes in roof, pipes went in...poles went in, and me and my buddies just fished atop my strong roof. You like flounder? It's still there...parking area E at Sandy Hook. Bring yours by...mine is lonely.

Please videotape whatever you've got planned!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by getchellad View Post
Hey has anyone with an XI driven there car out on the beach where you would typically need a 4wheel drive, such as in the outerbanks. I'm wondering if our cars have enough clearance, and if they will sink in the sand.
Car is too low for the sand on the Hatteras beaches. Hard pack datona or South Padre sure. Maybe even Ocracoke down the sand access road until you get to the loose sand. Only if the water holes have been filled in though. For Hatteras you will need a 4" lift to accomplish anything out there in your xi.

EDIT: Just noticed this was bumped from 2004. I think the OP has already found out the hard way....
Here is what you want for the Hatteras beaches:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	379607   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	379608  

Last edited by GCoop; 10-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Driving your car on sand just sounds like a bad idea. Snow is one thing, but sand can be highly unpredictable. The depth, density... plus who knows where it ends up.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
don't

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
I gotta tell ya, I think this is a great idea!
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Ivanhoe

My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Driving your car on sand just sounds like a bad idea. Snow is one thing, but sand can be highly unpredictable. The depth, density... plus who knows where it ends up.
Agree, I will not do this never with a BMW, unless you have a very good reason
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
Agree, I will not do this never with a BMW, unless you have a very good reason
Yeah, like a gun-wielding manic running after me.

I can just imagine the buzz kill as your cars tires spin deeper and deeper into the sand, far from land, as you watch the tide slowly come in.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
xFalleNx330Ci

My Ride: '01 330Ci
yay for bumping 6yr old threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingdevious View Post
OT is like a bunch of rabid horny monkeys that run around and rape other forums, any new monkeys, and then throw **** at eachother, take pics, and demand nudes.
xFalleNx330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote