E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
MT's weak point

After all my praise of these tires, they finally let me down. After my tire went flat today, I discovered a split all the way around the inside, where the tread meets the sidewall. They still have a decent amount of tread, so I took it Discount to see about some kind of warrantee. They told me they have tried to have that issue warrantied before, with no luck. Guess i'll try to find another tire that hooks well and lasts a little longer.

Last edited by Evil Twin Rob; 10-15-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Evil Twin Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
sorryto hear about that but you were lucky

that the tire did not come apart while you were driving high speed.....i think you luck out kind of on that flat.....
bob
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
That's really unfortunate...has Jesse had any problems with his? I was thinking about pulling the trigger on these next year.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Thats weird......I have still had no problems. if you got the added warranty with discount, then its discount that warranties you. not where the tire came from. they bullshittin you and you need to make them replace it.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
No warranty for a tread that's coming off? That's crazy...frankly, whether you had tread or not...but if it did have no tread, I'd understand them not wanting to just give you new tires...

Though, as those are, I also think you'd be crazy to have them warranty them by giving you the same tire. Maybe if you go back to place that sold you the tire and mention that you understand, but would hope they'd try again, coz otherwise you'll be mentioning this issue on the Internet...where you have 150K close friends!

I don't know what you were doing at the time, but will presume you hadn't exceeded speed rating of tire or did any drifting...but still... I won't be buying those tires!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
I wonder if this is common, I've never heard of this before form an MT, but frankly all tires have some percentage of failure through sidewall separation.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
I wonder if this is common, I've never heard of this before form an MT, but frankly all tires have some percentage of failure through sidewall separation.
yeah if you got the discount tire warranty you should be able to have them replaced. hell they replaced this for me.........got really lucky i was in rush hour traffic at about 25-30mph when this happened....could have been real nasty at speed, had both of the little ones in the back seat and everything.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo09011824.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	379837  

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Evil Twin Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Thats weird......I have still had no problems. if you got the added warranty with discount, then its discount that warranties you. not where the tire came from. they bullshittin you and you need to make them replace it.
I didn't figure they would last long enough to bother with a warranty.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
jtrejo

My Ride: e46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy316 View Post
yeah if you got the discount tire warranty you should be able to have them replaced. hell they replaced this for me.........got really lucky i was in rush hour traffic at about 25-30mph when this happened....could have been real nasty at speed, had both of the little ones in the back seat and everything.

extreme garage make over needed ASAP!!! just playin
Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo View Post
No your not.....Def needs one. atleast a cleaning.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
After all my praise of these tires, they finally let me down. After my tire went flat today, I discovered a split all the way around the inside, where the tread meets the sidewall. They still have a decent amount of tread, so I took it Discount to see about some kind of warrantee. They told me they have tried to have that issue warrantied before, with no luck. Guess i'll try to find another tire that hooks well and lasts a little longer.

Thanks for the post Rob. This is what I was getting ready to order for my car since you and Taza had really good reviews for traction on them. Well this sucks..
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Might just be a fluke, I wouldn't throw out these tires as a solution just from one tire doing this...
Old 10-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Evil Twin Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
Might just be a fluke, I wouldn't throw out these tires as a solution just from one tire doing this...
Both tires did it, and the separation was even starting to occur on the outside. I will ask Discount if their warranty would have covered this. If so, I will buy another set with a warranty. If not, I want to try the Toyo r888.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
No your not.....Def needs one. atleast a cleaning.
its just the shed, not where the car sleeps....lol if you can tell it has been alot of things, paint booth, fiberglass shop, cabinet shop, junk storage.....lol

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Both tires did it, and the separation was even starting to occur on the outside. I will ask Discount if their warranty would have covered this. If so, I will buy another set with a warranty. If not, I want to try the Toyo r888.
Wow, both at the same time, that's crazy! A warranty would be worth it then
Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
There's a number on the tire that tells you the date it was made. Can you find that # and post it up?

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
UrineMachine
Banned

My Ride: Mysterious 5
Send a message via AIM to UrineMachine
That is consistent with sidewall rip from running low air pressure for sustained amounts of time.

What pressure did these see?

Honestly.

It also doesn't help that this is a large rim size - it's hard to tell visually that they're low on air.

Low air, soft compound, small sidewall, rip.

Last edited by UrineMachine; 10-16-2010 at 10:25 PM.
UrineMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrineMachine View Post
That is consistent with sidewall rip from running low air pressure for sustained amounts of time.

What pressure did these see?

Honestly.

It also doesn't help that this is a large rim size - it's hard to tell visually that they're low on air.

Low air, soft compound, small sidewall, rip.
I was thinking that. Soft compounds with lots of heat are good for traction, but the heat generated by running lower air pressure also can lead to sidewall separation (anyone remember Firestones and Explorers?).

I'm not saying there isn't an issue, but that it might require some investigation, MT's are beloved tires.

As a side note, a buddy with a GTO mentioned a newer goodyear drag radial has gotten a ton of respect from the GTO crowd.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
UrineMachine
Banned

My Ride: Mysterious 5
Send a message via AIM to UrineMachine
A lot of people will run their cars on drag radials (R2 compound) or true slicks (whether nylon belted or bias ply) when dyno'ing on dual-roller units and be surprised when the tires are ruined in like 30 seconds of pulling. The heat generated by low air pressure or high load weight is remarkable. The only time you can REALLY get away with it on the street is on a 15 - 16" wheel where theres lots of material to transfer the heat to. But, if you drove down the street on ET Street Radials @ 10 psi on a 15" you'd melt them in a few miles too.
UrineMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #20
InDiGlOM3

Rob also took these from wa to cali and back. I have takin mine (same size) from Tx to Az and back, 2k round trip.