E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
masseydl

My Ride: 2002 325i
Diagnosis on a Lock Problem?

Hey, gang.

So the battery in my key crapped out about 9 months ago, so I've been using the old school "put the key in the drivers side lock" to lock and unlock my baby.

Past couple months the door lock has been acting up a bit, i.e. not always completely unlocking the door on the first try, but usually worked on the next try.

Long story short, today I tried to lock the door and felt more resistance than usual. Then a light "cracking" sound, then the door did not lock. Tried to turn the key again, and it was stuck inside the lock (wouldn't pull out).

Finally got it free of the lock, but it doesn't lock my door.

NOTE: The "lock unlock" button on my center console works fine. But I can't lock my damned car because of some safety feature that won't let me manually depress the driver's side lock.

Is this an actuator problem, or just the mechanical lock failing? Any and all advice is welcome, and thanks in advance for any tips.
masseydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
catso

My Ride: 2000 323i 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseydl View Post
Hey, gang.

So the battery in my key crapped out about 9 months ago, so I've been using the old school "put the key in the drivers side lock" to lock and unlock my baby.

Past couple months the door lock has been acting up a bit, i.e. not always completely unlocking the door on the first try, but usually worked on the next try.

Long story short, today I tried to lock the door and felt more resistance than usual. Then a light "cracking" sound, then the door did not lock. Tried to turn the key again, and it was stuck inside the lock (wouldn't pull out).

Finally got it free of the lock, but it doesn't lock my door.

NOTE: The "lock unlock" button on my center console works fine. But I can't lock my damned car because of some safety feature that won't let me manually depress the driver's side lock.

Is this an actuator problem, or just the mechanical lock failing? Any and all advice is welcome, and thanks in advance for any tips.
The lock cylinder is probably the problem. There's a little pot metal part that usually breaks in the mechanism. Take the cylinder out. Start by removing the black rubber plug on the doorjamb side of the door near the lock. then insert a 5mm. hex (allen) wrench into the slot angled toward the door handle. It's hard to see but pretty easy to find by feel. Unscrew the hex setscrew and the you can pull the cylinder assembly out of the door. Put your key into it and see if it rotates the star shaped actuator link on the end. If not you can replace the cylinder for about $100 or buy a repair kit on ebay for about $20. It's shipped from Turkey so it takes about 3 weeks. You can also take the cylinder apart and reuse your key with another used cylinder. You'll also need that cylinder's key to disassemble it. It's not hard but takes a little patience.
catso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseydl View Post
But I can't lock my damned car because of some safety feature that won't let me manually depress the driver's side lock.

Is this an actuator problem, or just the mechanical lock failing?
The driver's door lock can not be pushed down when the door is open. You much close the door and then push it down. So to lock the car you would need to go through the passenger door to lock the driver door and then the driver door can be locked while it is open and then when you shut the door all the doors will be locked. BUT, how will you unlock the doors when you come back to the car? Your key fob doesn't work and your door lock cylinder sounds like it's failing/failed.

Last edited by scottjoh; 10-15-2010 at 04:47 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
masseydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
The driver's door lock can not be pushed down when the door is open. You much close the door and then push it down. So to lock the car you would need to go through the passenger door to lock the driver door and then the driver door can be locked while it is open and then when you shut the door all the doors will be locked. BUT, how will you unlock the doors when you come back to the car? Your key fob doesn't work and your door lock cylinder sounds like it's failing/failed.
Yeah, kinda figured that out a little while ago. totally sucks. I got a good shop in town who seem to think it is also the cylinder, so they're going to take a look.

Not that I leave anything of value in my car anyways, but I still don't like leaving it open for anyone to just jump inside.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
It's your lock cylinder. Go buy a new one. It's easy to replace, really easy.

When I bought my e46 the dealer had bought a new cylinder but didn't put it in, and just had it still packaged in the glove box. I replaced it myself before I even signed the papers on the car.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
masseydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
It's your lock cylinder. Go buy a new one. It's easy to replace, really easy.

When I bought my e46 the dealer had bought a new cylinder but didn't put it in, and just had it still packaged in the glove box. I replaced it myself before I even signed the papers on the car.
Is it a special order piece? Like would need something custom specific to my lock? Or just a generic part?

Tags
door, lock, problem