E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Cool BMW E46 OEM Navigation CD 16:9 Monitor MK4 2010 TELE ATLAS Full Review

Finally everything you wanted to know about the BMW E46 Navigation MK4 GPS System Demystified.

This is a complete review for the GPS Mapping and Guidance Navigation Features found on BMW cars with the MK4 Navigation computer and 16:9 Navigation Monitors running the latest v.31/32 software as of 10/10/10 and using the 2010 Year Tele Atlas North America High DVD set.

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Rated by me: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars
I reviewed and rated it based on key areas that many in car navigation electronics are critiqued on. These are Speed, Integration with other I.C.E components, Precision, Route Guidance, Map clarity

POSITIVES:

-Has a lot of USEFUL and solid features
-Very Quick! Start up & Loading Maps, Also finds GPS Signal Quick
-Seamless integration with other I.C.E Radio functions and Bluetooth
-Map Clarity and Graphics are clear and GPS location mapping is very precise
-Visual and Vocal Directions are also on point
-Navigation Voice Prompt works seamlessly with your music so nothing is paused or disrupted (see video). The voice can also be lowered or raised depending on your tastes.

NEGATIVES:

-Uses DVDs over Hard Drive or SD Cards (not really a full negative since DVDs are really quick to load and easy for updating the maps)
-DVDs are EXPENSIVE! $200 per DVD (1 for East and 1 for West coast) = $400 for the full country with a little bit of Canada and Mexico. You can buy a Round Trip Airline ticket to most places mapped on the entire DVD set for $400!
-Takes a long time to get use to controls and using it. Took me a full week to learn some of the main functions on GPS where as a Tom Tom Go is easy to use and fully understand minutes out of the box.
-A lot of the cool features are buried deep in the menu and takes a while to find and learn to use.
-Entering addresses on the Input Screen on the fly is not advised. The selection text is tiny and it hard to input a destination whiles driving or at a red light. Bigger text on the input screen and a touch screen would make this easier. Not really a full negative since it is against the law and dangerous to be entering information on hand held devices whiles driving.
-Retrofit kits may need coding for some cars and cost around $80 to $200 depending on which dealership you go to.
- The instruction manual that comes with the retrofit kit can be much better at explaining some of the features

Here are some screen shots:

Settings Screen:
Here you can modify many aspects of the Navigation Features in regards to display (full or split screen as well as colours and contrast/brightness settings), sound (navigation volume and language) and data (clock/date)-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Full Screen Mode:
This is the main screen when you start navigation guidance. It has ALL the information for your trip. It can be switched to the Navigation Guidance Route Map Screen that displays the map with the guidance information and route embedded into the map. When the Bluetooth is On and you are in conversation. The Navigation Voice is completely muted and automatically turned off to allow you to talk thru the Bluetooth. Because of that this Data Display Screen will flash up and visually prompt the driver giving him/her the current guidance information at a driving interval where the voice would normally speak to give guidance-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your current music information alongside your Navigation Guidance Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and the navigation map screen (or computer depending on what you had open last) whiles the navigation route data guidance information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Full Screen Mode:

Here is the Route Map Display that details your route in the map with a white line. GPS information is embedding into the map for distance to next action and distance to destination. It doesn't show as much info as the Route Data Display screen (you don't get ETA to destination in the Route Map Display). Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and this Route Map screen (it will also switch to computer or Bluetooth depending on what you had open last). You also get continued voice guidance prompts in this mode providing the bluetooth is not in use.

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your Route Map Display information alongside your Route Data Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the Bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the current Music info and ONLY the navigation Route Map screen whiles the navigation Route Data information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Man looks like you got some spare time on your hands!
I gather you got your replacement screen back
Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Man looks like you got some spare time on your hands!
I gather you got your replacement screen back
Saturday mornings should provide most people plenty of spare time to shoot a 10 minute video.

I know you Aussies think we Americans work 8 days a week and don't know how to enjoy life but I'll let you know I'm diff.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
TioTitin'sBlau3

My Ride: 03 TopazBlau3
Send a message via Yahoo to TioTitin'sBlau3
I'm more interested in your menu file, the computer selection. What is that about? One last question...what is your nav MkIV software you running? 4-80?

///M South on Facebook

Last edited by TioTitin'sBlau3; 10-16-2010 at 07:41 PM.
TioTitin'sBlau3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTitin'sBlau3 View Post
I'm more interested in your menu file, the computer selection. What is that about? One last question...what is your nav MkIV software you running? 4-80?
I have no idea.

what is 4-80?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
joefixum

My Ride: 332 ts , 332 it
mkIV

Hello Del marco,
Was wondering if you could help me out....I just purchased a factory copy of the new 2011 map cds (2 cd set)....For some reason my Mk IV dvd nav unit will not accept it....My old Navteq cd works fine ...Really would like to have the red light and police id feature working...any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thank you in advance.
JOe
joefixum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixum View Post
Hello Del marco,
Was wondering if you could help me out....I just purchased a factory copy of the new 2011 map cds (2 cd set)....For some reason my Mk IV dvd nav unit will not accept it....My old Navteq cd works fine ...Really would like to have the red light and police id feature working...any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Thank you in advance.
JOe

I think you may have purchased the wrong set. BMW makes two versions one for the iDrive car with the DVDs load at the front in the dash (usually called CCC or Professional version) and one for the older cars like ours where the DVDs load in the trunk (usually refered to as the High Version).

I think for the 2011 DVD set only the dash loading versions have been released.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I have no idea.

what is 4-80?
4-1/00 is current. Its the OS that gets loaded tfrom the v.31/32 update CD.

All version #'s here:
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all...ystem-faq.html
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
erod225

My Ride: 2003 M3XI
Bro your car is loaded with nothing but goodies. Dont get rid of hat car, the next that should be on your list for this fine driving machine are rims, mtech front bumer and sprucing up the interior of you choose to do so...
erod225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
-DVDs are EXPENSIVE! $200 per DVD (1 for East and 1 for West coast)
-Retrofit kits may need coding for some cars and cost around $80 to $200 depending on which dealership you go to.
Great information for those of us who thought that buying and installing the OEM nav hardware was going to be all the out of pocket costs of a retrofit.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by erod225 View Post
Bro your car is loaded with nothing but goodies. Dont get rid of hat car, the next that should be on your list for this fine driving machine are rims, mtech front bumer and sprucing up the interior of you choose to do so...
yeah I hear you. I'm soooo itching for that 2008 535i w/ sport package. Prices are dropping daily. I can get a decent one within the 30k to 60k mileage range, for under $30k now. This one below is exactly configured to my specs (color & package w/ the space shuttle sport package seats ) with like 42k on the clock for only $28,900!

Sooooo tempted.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
delmarco

EDIT 10/26/10: Updated Thread with Screen Shots-

Finally everything you wanted to know about the BMW E46 Navigation MK4 GPS System Demystified.

This is a complete review for the GPS Mapping and Guidance Navigation Features found on BMW cars with the MK4 Navigation computer and 16:9 Navigation Monitors running the latest v.31/32 software as of 10/10/10 and using the 2010 Year Tele Atlas North America High DVD set.

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Rated by me: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars
I reviewed and rated it based on key areas that many in car navigation electronics are critiqued on. These are Speed, Integration with other I.C.E components, Precision, Route Guidance, Map clarity

POSITIVES:

-Has a lot of USEFUL and solid features
-Very Quick! Start up & Loading Maps, Also finds GPS Signal Quick
-Seamless integration with other I.C.E Radio functions and Bluetooth
-Map Clarity and Graphics are clear and GPS location mapping is very precise
-Visual and Vocal Directions are also on point
-Navigation Voice Prompt works seamlessly with your music so nothing is paused or disrupted (see video). The voice can also be lowered or raised depending on your tastes.

NEGATIVES:

-Uses DVDs over Hard Drive or SD Cards (not really a full negative since DVDs are really quick to load and easy for updating the maps)
-DVDs are EXPENSIVE! $200 per DVD (1 for East and 1 for West coast) = $400 for the full country with a little bit of Canada and Mexico. You can buy a Round Trip Airline ticket to most places mapped on the entire DVD set for $400!
-Takes a long time to get use to controls and using it. Took me a full week to learn some of the main functions on GPS where as a Tom Tom Go is easy to use and fully understand minutes out of the box.
-A lot of the cool features are buried deep in the menu and takes a while to find and learn to use.
-Entering addresses on the Input Screen on the fly is not advised. The selection text is tiny and it hard to input a destination whiles driving or at a red light. Bigger text on the input screen and a touch screen would make this easier. Not really a full negative since it is against the law and dangerous to be entering information on hand held devices whiles driving.
- The instruction manual that comes with the retrofit kit can be much better at explaining some of the features

Here are some screen shots:

Settings Screen:
Here you can modify many aspects of the Navigation Features in regards to display (full or split screen as well as colours and contrast/brightness settings), sound (navigation volume and language) and data (clock/date)-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Full Screen Mode:
This is the main screen when you start navigation guidance. It has ALL the information for your trip. It can be switched to the Navigation Guidance Route Map Screen that displays the map with the guidance information and route embedded into the map. When the Bluetooth is On and you are in conversation. The Navigation Voice is completely muted and automatically turned off to allow you to talk thru the Bluetooth. Because of that this Data Display Screen will flash up and visually prompt the driver giving him/her the current guidance information at a driving interval where the voice would normally speak to give guidance-

Navigation Guidance Route Data Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your current music information alongside your Navigation Guidance Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and the navigation map screen (or computer depending on what you had open last) whiles the navigation route data guidance information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Full Screen Mode:

Here is the Route Map Display that details your route in the map with a white line. GPS information is embedding into the map for distance to next action and distance to destination. It doesn't show as much info as the Route Data Display screen (you don't get ETA to destination in the Route Map Display). Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the music info and this Route Map screen (it will also switch to computer or Bluetooth depending on what you had open last). You also get continued voice guidance prompts in this mode providing the bluetooth is not in use.

Navigation Guidance Route Map Display in Split Screen Mode:
Here is your Route Map Display information alongside your Route Data Information. In this mode you will still get the voice guidance prompts as long as you are not using the Bluetooth system. Pressing Info or Switch Display button will switch between the current Music info and ONLY the navigation Route Map screen whiles the navigation Route Data information will remain shown on the right side of the split screen-

Last edited by delmarco; 10-26-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
The 2008 5 series headlight and taillights are fugly IMO. Also curious why you like driving an automatic? Is it just a city traffic thing?
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
The 2008 5 series headlight and taillights are fugly IMO. Also curious why you like driving an automatic? Is it just a city traffic thing?
IDK.

After 6 years of driving, this summer was the first time I got an opportunity to drive a manual transmission vehicle (a 1992 SR5 V6 Toyota 4Runner with 120k miles in mint condition) for a day. I got to drive it off road as well and I admit "stalled" the clutch a few times at the beginning but by the end of the day I was okay with it. I could see how guys could feel macho about it, it makes the entire driving experience feel serious and grown up.

However now that the whole driving a manual tranny mystery is over for me, I still don't see the big deal when it comes to BMWs.

BMW's Steptronic set up gives me enough driving pleasure as is. I won't go "out of my way" to get a manual car but if the car I really like and want has a manny box in it then I would buy it. But what tranny a car has is not a make or break option for me.

Last edited by delmarco; 10-27-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
delmarco

I have a new 2011 review at this link:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=814904

Last edited by delmarco; 01-07-2011 at 12:21 AM.