E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Enemy

My Ride: '03 ZHP & '01 740iS
Send a message via Yahoo to Enemy
How do I raise my lowered car?

Im a suspension mod noob.

Bought an '03 330i ZHP lowered on TC Klein S/A Coilovers in August. One tire on my 18" ASA's blew out this morning and I switched to my winter setup 17" BBS wheels with 225/50/17 Dunlops on em. Now the wheels/tires rub on my car cause it's too low.

How do I raise the car back up a bit?

Please help. Thanks!
Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
jpjp

My Ride: '08 335XI
The fronts can be done by first releasing the two collars with the special wrench that comes with the kit. You turn then in opposite directions to release the pressure. You then turn the top ring that the coil spring sits on up until you get the desired height.

The rear should have a pod that the spring sits on. You would loosen the set screw and rotate the outer part to regain the height you need to clear the tires. You will not have to remove the center bolt or the spring but you will have to jack up the car and release the lower shock mount.

Once you get everything set, remember to bring the bottom collar up to the top one and tighten them up and retighten the rear set screw as well.

You can do this with a jack and jack stands.
jpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
where are u rubbing?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Enemy

Crap. I don't have the "special wrench" that you mentioned, or jack stands. All I have is a low-pro hydraulic jack and the stock the stock jack.

19mm socket for the lower shock mount?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0w View Post
where are u rubbing?
At the fender right where you would roll them.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Enemy

Here's some pics of my coilovers and the car. I don't have the coilover wrenches and the PO told me he still has them and will mail them to me. Will I truly need jack stands or can I do one corner at a time?

Front

Rear

Side profile

Front passenger wheel

Rear passenger wheel

I guess since I'm running the winter setup now, I would feel better with the car running a safe height. I realize it's not the lowest car, I've seen much lower, but I wanna be on the safe side. Possibly run stock height and proper alignment. It doesnt ALWAYS rub right now, but going over a low-medium bump is enough to make me scrape the tires somehow.

Last edited by Enemy; 10-18-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
jpjp

My Ride: '08 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy View Post
.... I don't have the coilover wrenches and the PO told me he still has them and will mail them to me. Will I truly need jack stands or can I do one corner at a time?......
No, You don't need jack stands but it is safer to use them being you will have your head underneath the car. If the tools don't show up, you could always use a flat screwdriver and lightly tap the tabs on the collar to break them free.

The rears are done with the allen wrench. You don't need any sockets. This can all be done by hand.

You can do one wheel at a time but just don't tighten anything up until you are happy with the height.

jp

Last edited by jpjp; 10-22-2010 at 10:21 AM.
jpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Can I have your suspension? You can have mine.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote