E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Race Ramps - A Revolution for Do It Yourselfers?

Maybe they're not revolutionary, and more evolutionary but either way they're a huge improvement over anything I've ever used. Being an avid "do-it-yourselfer" (DIYer) I've upgrade many of my tools along the way but I've still been tirelessly pumping my jack handle, positioning jack stands and crawling under my car hoping nothing slips and crushes me. I try to avoid thinking about that happening, but it happens more often than any DIY enthusiast wants to know about.

Everyone knows about drive up ramps and anyone with a BMW knows they're impossible to use. Ramps sold at auto parts stores have ramp angles that are laughable. Trying to use cheap ramps is like driving your bumper into a curb.

Enter the revolution of Race Ramps, drive up ramps built specifically for auto enthusiasts with low cars and wide tires. The first thing you notice is how long the ramps are, and they have to be to get the ramp angle down to a front bumper friendly angle of 10.75 degrees. The next thing you notice is the weight, they're amazingly light. They're made out of some sort of structural foam covered in an anti-skid coating. The two ramps weigh in at 23 pounds, total! That's seriously cool and make the thought of lugging my 50lb "lightweight" aluminum jack and jack stand so much less appealing.

Like so many DIYers I don't have a dedicated shop, I pull all my tools out for each project and then put them all away again. That's a two fold advantage for the ramps. Their weight makes them easy to grab and setup and the drive up nature means I spend my time working on what needs fixing, and not wasting time on setup. When I'm done stash them away on the top of a cabinet or in the garage rafters until needed next time. The ramps are so light and compact (I have the two parts ramps) I was able to fit them in my E46 M3 trunk! The ability to move them around, take them to the track or a friends house for a DIY is a huge bonus.

With the XT two part ramp design that I got means once my M3 is up on the ramps I simply removed the base giving me unobstructed access to the under side of the car. That might not sound like a big deal, but you don't realize how much the jack stand is in the way until its not there. Transmission fluid, fuel filter (my DIY fuel filter completed on Race Ramps), exhaust all sit right in the middle of the car, and on the BMW so does the side jack pad where the jack stand goes.

Is there still a place for jacks and stands, absolutely. You obviously can't change your wheels and tires if your car is sitting on them but for the most common maintenance DIY, an oil change I'll never use my jack again. The safety of having all the wheels firmly planned and the pure simplicity of "driving up" makes DIYs that much more enjoyable.

If you're interested in a set of Race Ramps you're in luck. They're running a fall giveaway sweepstakes!

Free Race Ramps - Register to Win - $1,000 in Prizes!
A total of 3 prizes will be awarded:

Grand prize: $600.00 of Race Ramps products - Models of your choice
1st Prize: $250.00 of Race Ramps products - Models of your choice
2nd Prize: $150.00 of Race Ramps products - Models of your choice

Winners are determined by random drawing at the end of the sweepstakes. Sweepstakes will be held October 20th through November 17th 2010. Winners will be announced and notified on November 22nd, 2010.

All entires must be submitted by midnight November 17th. Jump over to RaceRamps.com to register!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3263.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	380685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Views:	18917
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	380686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	380687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3273.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	380688  

Name:	IMG_3279.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	380689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Views:	107543
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	380690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	16845
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	380691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	2232
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	380692  

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	2068
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	380693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	380694  
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.