E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
veli510

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Getting code: P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off

I just got this code P1347 today. I've changed spark plugs but the cheap NGK not to long ago, and the seem to be fine for about a good a month. I also changed valve cover gasket as well and it was running fine. I also took my car for a fuel pump change at AMMCO about 2 months ago. Changed the fuel filter myself and fuel relay. I do have codes p0174 which is my intake but i'm more concern about the P1347 code cause i have rough idle now and it bugs me. Should i buy a new set of spark plugs?
veli510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
The first thing you should do is search here for the code you have. That will return many threads where others have had the same code.
Like this one with additional troubleshoot steps:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sfire+cylinder

You should fix the intake boot that you know is bad. Running lean could contribute to the misfire condition.

You should do some troubleshooting on cylinder 3 rather than just throwing a set of plugs at it.
Coils do fail, you could move the coil from cylinder 3 to another cylinder, see if the misfire code changes to that cylinder. If the misfire follows the coil, it is likely the cause and you can replace the coil. While moving the coil inspect the spark plug boots for any obvious signs of issues.

Last edited by shanneba; 10-20-2010 at 07:42 AM.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
veli510

Thanks for the information. I changed the ignition coil so it's good now. But yea I really need to change the intake boot
Old 10-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
+1 on the boot. My torn boot caused be to throw misfire codes and fuel cut off. Fixed the boot and haven't thrown a code since. A $12 part from the dealer and 45min of time is about as cheap as trouble shooting can come. I'm pretty sure that is going to fix your problem. And make sure you give the ICV a good cleaning and check you're DISA while you're at it

I'll just ad that I did do the non-invasive DISA check that is in a video somewhere on this site and it seemed fine according to that test but upon further inspection the flap was actually broken so it doesn't hurt to pull it out and look. Just REMEMBER NOT TO LET THE PIN FALL INTO THE ENGINE. That issue also may have been contributing to my codes so I can't say it was 100% the torn boot.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
veli510

thanks ill definitely change the boot, i need to head to the dealership tomorrow or sometime this weekend. I've already cleaned my ICV, but ill surely check the DISA for a broken flap or anything abnormal. Thanks again!