E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Maybe GKN is an OE manufacturer for parts other than axles? That's an awfully misleading advertisement if that's the case.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
Maybe GKN is an OE manufacturer for parts other than axles? That's an awfully misleading advertisement if that's the case.
That is the case if they make anything for the car they can be called an "OEM supplier" its very misleading!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Well someone had to make them . . .
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #24
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Well someone had to make them . . .
That is true.

A good example is Behr expantion tanks the OE ones are Behr, however the aftermarket ones are Junk and not the same quality as BMW's Don't know why should be the same part???? The aftermarket Behr ones are stamped made in china though???

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
The expansion tank is really a sticky issue. On the one hand, I didn't want to install a cheap made-in-china expansion tank. On the other, the OEM expansion tank isn't exactly the highest quality either.

I'm kinda surprised an aftermarket aluminum alternative hasn't been produced.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
ACS3_e46_coupe

My Ride: acs3 coupe
gkn is a german company who also makes cv axle's for porsche.
gkn axle's are also used on the dakar vw touaregs and believe me these cars are made from only the best.

and believe it or not the axles under our e46 are gkn.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #27
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
GKN axles: my experience

Kubica:
I have experience with "GKN Loebro" axles. I purchased a right-front axle from Pelican. It installed well and has worked without issues. I've had it in my '02 325xi for 6,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

I compared this axle ($378.75, purchased Jan 2010) to the BMW axle ($700+) sold at the Schomp BMW dealership near Denver. I found 2 notable differences:
  1. Packaging
  2. Missing shield on GKN reman'd axle (see photo)

The packaging of the BMW axle was superb with its internal cradling of the axle at multiple points in order to hold it straight and cushion it during transport. The GKN axle was just stuck in an oblong box without internal support. Maybe it doesn't matter on something as tough as an axle. It wasn't a big issue for me.

But I was made to believe I was going to get an *exact* BMW axle, just like that from the dealership. The BMW axle was more complete, with its shield.

The missing shield that protects the pedestal-to-axle interface was more concerning. The BMW axle had one; the shield on the GKN unit had clearly been removed, probably during the reman process. The shield protects the axle shaft seal (a "grease seal"). That may or may not make a real difference but it was notably missing. See the photo for a side-by-side comparison with the axle that I replaced--an aftermarket axle, I think. I posted this photo on the Pelican website in my generally favorable review of the the axle. Pelican contacted their supplier, at my request, who verified that GKN axles were now supplied without this shield.

Maybe the missing shield isn't a big cause for concern but it is conspicuously absent.

Pelican now sells "Genuine BMW" axles--$479 vs: $333 for the GKN version. I don't know how they compare. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...SUSaxl_pg2.htm

Also, please know that this is the only experience I have with BMW axles. I am *not* a professional mechanic.

Photo note: The GKN axle is compared to the axle that was on my car, which, I believe, was an *aftermarket* axle. The photo does *not* compare the GKN axle to the genuine BMW axle that I mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04369 ANNOTATED copy.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	380778  
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by latitude39 View Post
Kubica:
I have experience with "GKN Loebro" axles. I purchased a right-front axle from Pelican. It installed well and has worked without issues. I've had it in my '02 325xi for 6,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

I compared this axle ($378.75, purchased Jan 2010) to the BMW axle ($700+) sold at the Schomp BMW dealership near Denver. I found 2 notable differences:
  1. Packaging
  2. Missing shield on GKN reman'd axle (see photo)

The packaging of the BMW axle was superb with its internal cradling of the axle at multiple points in order to hold it straight and cushion it during transport. The GKN axle was just stuck in an oblong box without internal support. Maybe it doesn't matter on something as tough as an axle. It wasn't a big issue for me.

But I was made to believe I was going to get an *exact* BMW axle, just like that from the dealership. The BMW axle was more complete, with its shield.

The missing shield that protects the pedestal-to-axle interface was more concerning. The BMW axle had one; the shield on the GKN unit had clearly been removed, probably during the reman process. The shield protects the axle shaft seal (a "grease seal"). That may or may not make a real difference but it was notably missing. See the photo for a side-by-side comparison with the axle that I replaced--an aftermarket axle, I think. I posted this photo on the Pelican website in my generally favorable review of the the axle. Pelican contacted their supplier, at my request, who verified that GKN axles were now supplied without this shield.

Maybe the missing shield isn't a big cause for concern but it is conspicuously absent.

Pelican now sells "Genuine BMW" axles--$479 vs: $333 for the GKN version. I don't know how they compare. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...SUSaxl_pg2.htm

Also, please know that this is the only experience I have with BMW axles. I am *not* a professional mechanic.

Photo note: The GKN axle is compared to the axle that was on my car, which, I believe, was an *aftermarket* axle. The photo does *not* compare the GKN axle to the genuine BMW axle that I mentioned above.
Nice post!

Feel free to chime in anytime!
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Nice post!

Feel free to chime in anytime!
Nice detail I agree!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Here is a photo of the remanufactured one (A1 Cardone) I got.

pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #31
latitude39

A1 Cardone vs BMW axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdsl View Post
Here is a photo of the remanufactured one (A1 Cardone) I got.

I've heard generally good things about this brand of axles.

There are two axles in your photo. Please tell us where each came from. They look identical to me.

Is one the original axle you are replacing? Were the CV joints worn out? If so, how could you tell?

Some aftermarket axles have the "shield" molded as part of the body while the original axles use a separately-formed metallic shield that presses onto the collar of the axle. The axle I replaced (see photo in my earlier posting) is the bottom of two axles--it is an aftermarket version, I believe. Its shield was molded in to the body. Are the shields on your two axles molded in (plastic) or pressed on (metallic)?

I ask these questions because there is no branding information anyway on the axles I've had in-hand and I'd like to be able to identify the real BMW axle when I see it.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #32
pcdsl

Sorry, the bottom one is the new one (A1), the top one is the old one I'm replacing. They are identical in terms of the metallic shields. It's pressed on. The A1's are done with original BMW axles.

My car was vibrating at 100km/h while accelerating. Once I got the old ones off, both inner and outer joints were loose. The new ones are extremely tight. I would recommend you guys replace the differential bushing when replacing the axles, to prevent leaking. I had to replace the passenger side bushing because it was leaking after. Pain in the butt to remove the axles again.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #33
pcdsl

Oh I was also getting a weird grinding noise when the car was cold, and my steering wheel was slipping when turning left.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #34
latitude39

A1 Cardone source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdsl View Post
Oh I was also getting a weird grinding noise when the car was cold, and my steering wheel was slipping when turning left.
Thanks for your response.

Where did you get your axle? Did you have to pay a "core" charge?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
pcdsl

I got it from Rockauto. Yeah they charged $100 for two axles, $50 each. But shipping is $90 to Canada, so I don't know if it's worth for me to ship them back lol

I might just find someone local who wants to remanufacture axles and see if they want them cheap