E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
rew7602

My Ride: 04 330xi
cluster problem or lkm?

I have a 2004 330xi and seem to be having either a cluster or lkm problem. First, the car was involved in an accident this summer. The front end was repaired and on my first night back with the car the motor failed. (part of the air box sucked into 2 cylinders bending valves. As the body work was all done when this happened the insurance company covered the motor as part of the accident. Yay for me! I now have gotten the car back and was informed that it would need a new cluster as the cluster and lights stay on when the key is shut off and removed. If I take out fuse #43 the lights all go out when the car is off and I can not see any negative side effect of removing the fuse. Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? I'm not sure if this is the right place on the forum to get the best answer. I don't really want to spring for a new cluster and then have to have it programmed. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
rew7602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Sounds like a wiring harness was damaged, the shop probably missed it.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
rew7602

That may be, it's just odd that it didn't do it before the motor and now does it after the motor. Figured out what fuse 43 does. Without it no clock memory or trip odometer. Both zero out every time the key is removed or the ignition is shut off.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Talk to the insurance company and get an opinion from another garage, this garage is trying to cover the fact that they haven't repaired the car. This is an outcome of the accident. Make sure you don't get a tamper dot as a result on any cluster swapping.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
rew7602

So, it turns out that I neither had a cluster or light control module problem. I drove the car around a couple days with the #43 fuse removed. By the way it gives constant power to the cluster as well as the obdII port. When I went to get my inspection I had to put the fuse back in. I was getting ready to explain the problem with my cluster, but when I shut the car off the lights all went out like they are supposed to. My only guess is that there is some type of capacitor in the cluster which was run down from having the battery disconnected for 2 weeks. Oh well, all is well in any event, looks like my shop didn't know what they were talking about.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew7602 View Post
So, it turns out that I neither had a cluster or light control module problem. I drove the car around a couple days with the #43 fuse removed. By the way it gives constant power to the cluster as well as the obdII port. When I went to get my inspection I had to put the fuse back in. I was getting ready to explain the problem with my cluster, but when I shut the car off the lights all went out like they are supposed to. My only guess is that there is some type of capacitor in the cluster which was run down from having the battery disconnected for 2 weeks. Oh well, all is well in any event, looks like my shop didn't know what they were talking about.
Good to hear. I was also thinking that sometimes it takes several drive cycles to reset/clear. Whatever the cure was, glad it's fixed.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
There's an M3 convertible in my neighborhood- sometimes the cluster stays lit while it's parked.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote