E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #201
Teenee

My Ride: 328ci
Talking No Reverse Yes Reverse esreveR oN esreveR seY

My story is...... I have 220,000k miles on my 328CI when the reverse gremlin hit! I drove it, lo & behold I had reverse again! The BMW mechanic I sometimes have to use, said it's the tranny, needs to be replaced 2-3-4K. The tranny shop said just a matter of time before the D goes out, needs to be replaced 3-4K! My friends say time for a new car...

My question is how do I figure out what fluid to get, they are pretty specific.
I can't wait to fix it now! Thanks so much for the post! Great info on this web site!

Last edited by Teenee; 09-16-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Teenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #202
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Teenee, search the DIY section for Trans Flush
------------
Update

So all I have done was replace the trans fluid and filter with Red Line D4. Before the reverse was failing 1/20 times ish. Directly after the flush, reverse was failling at about 1/50 times. Now, over the past 2 months and 100 ish drives, Reverse has worked every time. So it appears to be getting better with time after the flush, not sure why.

I still plan on replacing the Valve Body at some point, but if its over 100 drives before reverse fails once, then I can probably just live with it.

Also I noticed the last time it failed, I drove forward for a block and it was working again, which is faster than it was before.

Not at all sure why, but good news none the less.
------------
Update again

Reverse has not failed in over 150 drives and 3-4 months.

Last edited by Toad21; 10-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #203
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenee View Post
My story is...... I have 220,000k miles on my 328CI when the reverse gremlin hit! I drove it, lo & behold I had reverse again! The BMW mechanic I sometimes have to use, said it's the tranny, needs to be replaced 2-3-4K. The tranny shop said just a matter of time before the D goes out, needs to be replaced 3-4K! My friends say time for a new car...

My question is how do I figure out what fluid to get, they are pretty specific.
I can't wait to fix it now! Thanks so much for the post! Great info on this web site!
The very first post in this thread gives several links out to other information, one of those links is to a fluid guide.

I replaced the TCC solenoid a few thousand miles ago, and I've had no repeates of No Reverse. The solenoid will fix the problem in all 2000 328s, and 323s built before Mar. 00.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #204
slow-motion

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Well as fate would have it my reverse just went out a few days ago! I have a 2000 323CI (auto) and the mechanic wants $2000 to fix it. Does that sound like a fair price? Anyone know any reputable mechanics in the L.A. area?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #205
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The very first post in this thread gives several links out to other information, one of those links is to a fluid guide.

I replaced the TCC solenoid a few thousand miles ago, and I've had no repeates of No Reverse. The solenoid will fix the problem in all 2000 328s, and 323s built before Mar. 00.
Wrong, you have not read this thread at all apparently. The TCC helps some, not all of the models you listed.

Last edited by Toad21; 10-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #206
Toad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-motion View Post
Well as fate would have it my reverse just went out a few days ago! I have a 2000 323CI (auto) and the mechanic wants $2000 to fix it. Does that sound like a fair price? Anyone know any reputable mechanics in the L.A. area?
Depends on what component is bad, and what transmission you have. Read the thread and you will have your answers. Assuming you have the GM trans, a new Valve Body is all you need, and that should run around 700-1000$ Installed.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #207
gdelcanto

My Ride: 1999 323i
I had this no reverse problem on my 99 323i about a year ago and so I replaced the solenoid and that seamed to fix the problem, for the most part. I drove my car everyday over the summer and only had the reverse fail 2 times. I am now away at college and only get to drive my car a couple times every 3-4 weeks. Now, every time I am home, the reverse fails at least once within the first couple hours of driving (but never on the first start-up). Anyone else have this similar problem? I am now looking into getting a new valve body over the summer. Hopefully that will fix it.
gdelcanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #208
shakiller

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I seem to have the same problem on my 2000 323ci. When I put it into Reverse and give it some gas, the car rolls but does not accelerate while the engine rolls. I am fairly sure it is a ZF transmission, but what is the best way to know if its ZF or GM in order to be sure? Also if it is a ZF transmission and the drum is shredded; what is the best way to go about fixing this problem (considering that I am not a mechanic and will have to go to the shop no matter what). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Its a beautiful car that I don't want to lose without a fight =)
shakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #209
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
Wrong, you have not read this thread at all apparently. The TCC helps some, not all of the models you listed.
The TCC solenoid will fix No Reverse in the GM5L40E transmission used in the 2000 328 and 2000 323 until Mar. '00 production. That's what I learned by reading the first post...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #210
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakiller View Post
I seem to have the same problem on my 2000 323ci. When I put it into Reverse and give it some gas, the car rolls but does not accelerate while the engine rolls. I am fairly sure it is a ZF transmission, but what is the best way to know if its ZF or GM in order to be sure? Also if it is a ZF transmission and the drum is shredded; what is the best way to go about fixing this problem (considering that I am not a mechanic and will have to go to the shop no matter what). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Its a beautiful car that I don't want to lose without a fight =)
Your 00 323 will have the GM5 transmission IF the car was built before MAR. 2000, otherwise it will have the ZF transmission. Look on the driver side door jamb, there is a sticker that will give the production date of the car. YOU CANNOT DETERMINE THE LOGICAL COURSE OF ACTION UNTIL YOU KNOW THE PRODUCTION DATE.

Assuming the car is built before 03/00, you should be able to fix the No Reverse problem on your car by flushing the fluid and replacing the TCC solenoid. The symptom set is that the car will randomly refuse to go into Reverse when selected.

I bought a 323 built in 09/99 that had the No Reverse problem. I scored a very good price on the car because the seller was told that it needed a transmission. I gambled on the solenoid as the problem, and so far the gamble has paid off. I didn't feel like dealinig with the transmission fluid -- I haven't got the proper facilities and didn't want to lay on the floor in my garage -- so I took the car to a BMW mechanic in my town. He flushed the fluid and that helped for a few weeks, but before long the car was up to its old tricks again. I confronted him with the fact that I really wanted him to replace the solenoid when he was replacing the fluid, and since he didn't do the primary job I wanted, then he should repeat the task but not charge me labor for the second time he flushed. He finally agreed that he should have done the job I SPECIFICALLY asked for, and now he will do it for free -- no labor costs. I paid for the solenoid and some more fluid, and the car works perfectly now. It's been more time and miles on the second attempt than it was on the first, but I admit that the jury is still out on the fix. So far it's looking good.

If you car is from 03/00 or later, then you have the ZF transmission, and it should not ever go into reverse again until the transmission is rebuilt/replaced. When the reverse drum fails, this is generally a fatal condition.

In addition to the Production Date printed on the sticker in the door jamb, there is a tag on the transmission that gives the make and model. You can open the door and look at the sticker, or you can crawl under your car and read a greasy metal tag. The tag should be the definitive information, but odds are very good that the transmission is still original and the door jamb will suffice to figure out what you have.

If you elect to flush the fluid yourself, BE SURE TO SELECT THE PROPER FLUID. There are far too many fluid options for my tastes, so read the chart carefully and get the right fluid.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #211
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
ima victom , its weird though it still goes in reverse but not if im am climb up the driveway in reverse.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #212
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacsierra06 View Post
ima victom , its weird though it still goes in reverse but not if im am climb up the driveway in reverse.
If you read the First Post in this thread, you will learn a wealth if information on this issue. You will learn -- if you follow the links provided -- about the dozen different fluid types for the various transmission models used. You will learn that the failure mode has multiple manifestations. You will learn that the Production Date of your car is important in determing which problem you have.

With the scant information you provided, I'm going to guess that you have a GM5L40E transmission with a solenoid that is hanging partially activated. The result is that the fluid that is supposed to be moving through the system is insufficient to properly propel your car. If you wait long enough, it'll stop going backwards at all.

If you have replaced the transmission fluid, AND the wrong fliud was used, this can cause your problem too.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #213
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
im am hoping i have a gm tranny, crossing my fingers!!! need to go under there and check.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #214
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacsierra06 View Post
im am hoping i have a gm tranny, crossing my fingers!!! need to go under there and check.
Why don't you just look at the Production Date printed on the door jamb?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #215
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
Hum,

My trans' valve body has been replaced 2 years ago and works good.
But now I don't have a reverse light.

Is it relative with trans?
Does anybody know?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #216
dephantn

My Ride: 740iL-325xi
WHICH REVERSE LIGHT?. ON CLUSTER OR ON THE SHIFT LEVER?
and others still light on? D- 4-3-2 ? That only the LED /lamp out or fuse.
or you mean " back up light on tail"?.
Any way it is not transmission, only lamp.
dephantn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #217
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
Back up light. haha. Sorry about it.
Anyway, I don't have back up light anymore.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 AM   #218
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
What do you guys mean reverse fail? I have a 2000 323Ci Manual at 129,000 Miles. Should I be expecting this soon? Does it pop out of gear?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #219
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
What do you guys mean reverse fail? I have a 2000 323Ci Manual at 129,000 Miles. Should I be expecting this soon? Does it pop out of gear?
We are talking about automatic transmissions. Manual gearboxes do not have the problem we are talking about.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #220
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
In that case..... Suckers!!!!

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission