E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
just like i already said.... it happens but not to everyone. but its a risk i would not like to take being rattle kit install will run you a buck and a half. honestly i have never seen dynos from aa's software but it worked 100% for me. my friend has a 350z with intake and ive been a car and a half behind him with headers, intake, and pulleys. got the tune and im literally inches behind him now. ive yet to beat him but im thinking if i do 1 more legitimate upgrade that ill have that z in a basket. i can take a video of it possibly but i never took a before vid. im sure its the little bit of power but the rev limit increase is also very nice to. and think of it as you would spend a lot of money on individual tunes and tweaking for different mods here and there when you get them.. you have all your upgrades and AA can tune it for just about anything you have bolted on. and apparently there's no down time with aa software you can flash it on the spot.

and fyi: AA sticker looks better than a shark
I'm going to go against my first impulse and try and explain this to you in a less harsh manner.

The Shark Injector doesn't cause the vanos rattle, cams do, and it's usually exclusive to ZHP and Shrick cams. I've yet to find one thread claiming a vanos rattle in conjunction with using Shark, so don't lie to push a product. It doesn't help the OP, and it doesn't help the community as a whole.

Further more, I gained 14whp DYNO PROVEN with a shark and intake, and have yet to find ANY dyno data (provided by shark or otherwise) proving the gains of AA software. Jim C. on the other hand, has made a database of dynos for every car and every injector he he sells, not to mention the most powerful N/A cars on this site use SHARK software.

And I'd be wary of AA's claims of tuning for your parts, how would they be able to measure the A/F ratio and airflow of one intake vs another, or header, or exhaust, or proper cam timing vs stock cams on your car without it being present? Just like Shark, AA uses a cookie cutter tune which may, or my not be better. But without data all we have if fanboy hearsay.

Finally, Shark is a flash module, you can do it in your garage in 20 minutes. AA requires you send them your email to flash it. No thanks.

And I don't put stickers on my car.

Last edited by Iceman00; 10-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
i have a dinan and i'm happy w/it. just a little time w/Scott and i'm good.
the only downside is if i granny it around town it takes a little time to "wake it up".
strange thing: if my car sits for a few days, when i take it out again it seems ready to rock and roll.
now if i'd just get the headers done!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
vXCONSTANTINEXv
Banned

My Ride: 2001 325i
yea stickers do no belong on my car either,
sure AA seems fantastic but HELL NAH im not going without a car for 2 weeks, i'd rather shark it...anyone have problems with it?
vXCONSTANTINEXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
OP, check and see if you have a dinan rep close and ask them to provide info.
i'm happy w/mine but, but admittedly, i've never tried anything else(for bmw).
Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
Iceman00

Don't do Dinan or AA. Get a Shark. Period.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #26
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Prototype BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I'm going to go against my first impulse and try and explain this to you in a less harsh manner.

The Shark Injector doesn't cause the vanos rattle, cams do, and it's usually exclusive to ZHP and Shrick cams. I've yet to find one thread claiming a vanos rattle in conjunction with using Shark, so don't lie to push a product. It doesn't help the OP, and it doesn't help the community as a whole.

Further more, I gained 14whp DYNO PROVEN with a shark and intake, and have yet to find ANY dyno data (provided by shark or otherwise) proving the gains of AA software. Jim C. on the other hand, has made a database of dynos for every car and every injector he he sells, not to mention the most powerful N/A cars on this site use SHARK software.

And I'd be wary of AA's claims of tuning for your parts, how would they be able to measure the A/F ratio and airflow of one intake vs another, or header, or exhaust, or proper cam timing vs stock cams on your car without it being present? Just like Shark, AA uses a cookie cutter tune which may, or my not be better. But without data all we have if fanboy hearsay.

Finally, Shark is a flash module, you can do it in your garage in 20 minutes. AA requires you send them your email to flash it. No thanks.

Very bold statement my friend for someone recommending a generic 'piggy back tune' for a NA BMW. These have been debated for several years and whether you choose AA or Dinan our options are clearly better for a NA BMW motor than a piggy back for several reasons. We have been tuning BMW's for well over 20 years and while they are same cases where a piggyback may be recommended on newer cars I cannot think why you would want a piggyback.

As far as your comments on sending in the ECU, we have dealers across the country that have the ability to tune the ECU in house. We also have several options that we will be releasing for DIY'ers.

Bottom line is the Shark injector is a basic/generic tune.. we tune these cars the same way the factory does, IE BMW performance... which is through the factory DME. We have the ability to change the tune for certain mods like, cams,FI,headers,track,etc...

BTW, ill send you some stickers and a free tune if you want
Omar@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #27
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
But you guys have never backed up your claims with proof. The best we got was Viral's failed dyno on his Auto ZHP. Show us a real tune and we'll be all smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
Very bold statement my friend for someone recommending a generic 'piggy back tune' for a NA BMW. These have been debated for several years and whether you choose AA or Dinan our options are clearly better for a NA BMW motor than a piggy back for several reasons. We have been tuning BMW's for well over 20 years and while they are same cases where a piggyback may be recommended on newer cars I cannot think why you would want a piggyback.

As far as your comments on sending in the ECU, we have dealers across the country that have the ability to tune the ECU in house. We also have several options that we will be releasing for DIY'ers.

Bottom line is the Shark injector is a basic/generic tune.. we tune these cars the same way the factory does, IE BMW performance... which is through the factory DME. We have the ability to change the tune for certain mods like, cams,FI,headers,track,etc...

Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
Iceman00

Bottom line is Jim supplied dynos of his product on every car he sells it for, he was willing to put up, and guess what, it worked. I own a Shark injector, which I dynoed with an Intake for 14whp. Could I have gotten more with an AA tune, who knows, as AA has consistently been dodging and ignoring our request for over a year and a half. If you can't do something as simple as producing a dynograph, why should I, or anyone else, "trust you" on said unsubstantiated results?

Good Luck.

Last edited by Iceman00; 10-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #29
Iceman00

Quote:

I'm right next to Lutz performance, an authorized AA dealer. You set me up with a tune, and I will dyno it back to back with my Shark. Name the time and the place.

Last edited by Iceman00; 10-28-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
But you guys have never backed up your claims with proof. The best we got was Viral's failed dyno on his Auto ZHP. Show us a real tune and we'll be all smiles.
I will give a free tune to anyone in the Miami area with a manual ZHP willing to come down and have us video and dyno the car...

As far as proof, we did several dyno's years ago with Sammy's car and a few others in house. Our customers/dealers install these on a daily basis and love it. With that said we did have an issue with our dyno computers crashing but it is still not an excuse. I will keep my offer above available until it is completed.

Thank you guys for your patience and we will get this done ASAP.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #31
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
I'm right next to Lutz performance, an authorized AA dealer. You set me up with a tune, and I will dyno it back to back with my Shark. Name the time and the place.
Initial one will be done here in house on a stock car. When you find a car let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Do a tune for my car, I'll dyno and video. Just can't get to Florida!

Quote:
I will give a free tune to anyone in the Miami area with a manual ZHP willing to come down and have us video and dyno the car...

As far as proof, we did several dyno's years ago with Sammy's car and a few others in house. Our customers/dealers install these on a daily basis and love it. With that said we did have an issue with our dyno computers crashing but it is still not an excuse. I will keep my offer above available until it is completed.

Thank you guys for your patience and we will get this done ASAP.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
AAblown

My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
i would disagree with this. Im making 380hp without pullies, and most of my mods come from AA. Thats a big jump over stock. And i have dyno sheets to prove it. I dont try to push anyones products, but i can say what worked for me. And i dont have to send my software to anyone. My installer (LUTZ) has AA's computer to do it themselves.

PS i love lamp...........and stickers

Quote:

Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #34
vXCONSTANTINEXv
Banned

My Ride: 2001 325i
Fellow fanatics, I know we all want HP, HP, HP but you gotta look at the other pros and cons. Active Autowerke, I believe your products kick the hell out of any other product out there. THE CON IS THAT I AM 17 AND DON'T HAVE ANOTHER RIDE OR RENTAL AND I CANNOT DE-COM MY CAR FOR A WEEK OR EVEN TAKE TIME TO DRIVE ACROSS STATE...AA is like the exquisite dining of chips while shark is like the McDonalds. The Dinan is looking really good right now
vXCONSTANTINEXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #35
Iceman00

As far as we know, AA could potentially be garbage. As you've seen in this thread, it's always some excuse on why they fail to produce numbers. It was claimed they could "tune" for mods, which is a silly concept considering all parts are different. Get the Shark, and be happy like the rest of us.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #36
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:

Sir as i said before i wasent 100% positive on the shark=rattle but in more than 1 case the shark was the initiating factor for a small rattle noise. whether it be the shark or not ive yet to hear anything negative from AA tune. im personnally glad that you fellow Fanatics feel you can call a shark a tune Hahah and pushing a product persoannyl ive had shark SB and my AA tune, and the SB was a no result product. i liked the increase rev limit of shark but still not really that great. maybe you had 14 hp but in reality the extent of my butt dyno was shifting at a latter point. Having the AA tune on my car trippled the pickup at around 3,500 rpm.. almost felt like changing your spark plugs after 100,000 miles of corrosion. And buddy if your going to spend 300 you might as well spend 200 more and get a custom tune for everything you have. Shark dosent even get close to that. And AA gives you a warranty which having the SB and shark, if i didnt feel a difference i would shot it right back to them and dropped AA to hell! but NO! im overall impressed with the top end pikup when racing in 2nd at high r.p.m.'s with the rev limiter removed and my bimmerbrakes headers actually sounded different with the AA tune.. i dont think AA secretely put a cat-back on my car when i was sleeping. but instead of there being intervals of bum da bum (sound of exhaust while idling) its a thick low thmmmmm( sorry best way i can describe it.) But i happen to be fortunate enough to try all 3 and if shark was really that good i would have reflashed my AA tune to stock and put on my shark. Hasent happened yet. IDK man honeslty besides the wait time for my brain ( which just go to your local approved shop) i have no issues with my tune..

F.Y.I - M.P.G. went from 19 to 22 hahaha not kidding and i even drive the car harder now that they reopened a canyon pass i go to every week with my buddys.

And double F.Y.I. i think the AA sticker is freakin sweet!
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #37
Iceman00

^no Dyno sheet = talking out of your ass. This conversation is over.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #38
Steven747

Quote:
^no Dyno sheet = talking out of your ass. This conversation is over.
not worried man i know its preety pathetic. ive never seen a dyno myself either and my place charges me 90 a session witch im not about to do..... Can someone from AA tell me how many e46's they have tuned and maybe post some feedback because appearently my feedback isint doing the trick.. I happen to have a few extra bucks on the side and went through these threads for 5 months trying to figure out witch chip to use. Is it because your biast and never felt the AA tune and what it does becuase you have a shark, or is it AA did something wrong to you.. After the SB i sold it second hand.. The shark i couldent do anything with because you cant resell it, and a job helps me do this.. im 17 and have a little extra money on the side and thought people that are searching for there next chip want to hear some feedback. Honestly man im more than satisfied with my AA tune and would strongly hesitate going back to anything besides stock for whatever reason it be.

Last edited by Steven747; 10-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #39
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
2.5 weeks turnaround is a joke. If you send your ECU directly to AA they'll have it out next business day s via 2nd day air.

I'm sure many shops like ours that are AA dealers have the ability to flash on the spot. We pull the tune, send it to AA, and it's back in the customers car within an hour or so.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #40
Steven747

yeah thats what i heard. i wish i would have done that but for some reason it was posted back because of no service to p.o. boxes