E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #41
DSpencer18

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)
Send a message via AIM to DSpencer18 Send a message via Skype™ to DSpencer18
I am not really sure why I am adding to the fire, but its 2:32am and I have no classes tomorrow and nothing else to do. First off, I don't take sides with anyone. I don't own any of the products. But I have a friend that drove down to fl to intall; has the AA supercharger, AA SSK, meth injected, etc, and it's down every 3 weeks. (and is down currently...I am sure they know the guy) I don't think it's the driver..he has been to about 5 racing schools (skip barber, etc). I personally bought the dinan intake and sold it because I thought it was just a fancy air box top and didn't look like a $300 dollar investment. So there is my .02 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I'm going to go against my first impulse and try and explain this to you in a less harsh manner.

The Shark Injector doesn't cause the vanos rattle, cams do, and it's usually exclusive to ZHP and Shrick cams. I've yet to find one thread claiming a vanos rattle in conjunction with using Shark, so don't lie to push a product. It doesn't help the OP, and it doesn't help the community as a whole.

Further more, I gained 14whp DYNO PROVEN with a shark and intake, and have yet to find ANY dyno data (provided by shark or otherwise) proving the gains of AA software. Jim C. on the other hand, has made a database of dynos for every car and every injector he he sells, not to mention the most powerful N/A cars on this site use SHARK software.

And I'd be wary of AA's claims of tuning for your parts, how would they be able to measure the A/F ratio and airflow of one intake vs another, or header, or exhaust, or proper cam timing vs stock cams on your car without it being present? Just like Shark, AA uses a cookie cutter tune which may, or my not be better. But without data all we have if fanboy hearsay.

Finally, Shark is a flash module, you can do it in your garage in 20 minutes. AA requires you send them your email to flash it. No thanks.

And I don't put stickers on my car.
Bold, but factual statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
2.5 weeks turnaround is a joke. If you send your ECU directly to AA they'll have it out next business day s via 2nd day air.

I'm sure many shops like ours that are AA dealers have the ability to flash on the spot. We pull the tune, send it to AA, and it's back in the customers car within an hour or so.
Please dyno a car just getting the tune.

AA - I live in Tennessee..may take you up on the offer, if I head to FL anytime soon. The best way to get hp gains is FI.

In saying all this, I would think just adding a tune/flash to the car wouldn't give you too much extra hp. But, I would like to do it to my car in the future with my mods and AA is in the runnings for sure.

2005 BMW 330ci (ZHP)

• Has: - BSW d210 Subs/Amp - iSimple Ipod Integration - Smoked Side Markers - Smoked Reflectors - LED White Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs - Hardwired Valentine V1 Radar Detector - AVT Ram Air Scoop - BMW Performance Intake - BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit -
    - Lambda Chi Alpha Zeta Phi 1067 and E46Fanatics.com stickers. -

• Last edited by DSpencer18; 10-29-2010 at 01:37 AM.
    DSpencer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #42
    Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
    Bold, but factual statement.

Please dyno a car just getting the tune.

AA - I live in Tennessee..may take you up on the offer, if I head to FL anytime soon. The best way to get hp gains is FI.

In saying all this, I would think just adding a tune/flash to the car wouldn't give you too much extra hp. But, I would like to do it to my car in the future with my mods and AA is in the runnings for sure.[/QUOTE]

Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #43
    xixixi
    Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
    Initial one will be done here in house on a stock car. When you find a car let me know. Thanks.
    Not to make this harder than it should be... but instead of a modded car with the (custom tune for custom mods, the tune everyone wants) We need to find a M/T ZHP thats bone stock.. almost 6 years since they have been made. I'm willing to pay for a tune for my "mods" Throw up a dyno of my current tune a shark dyno and the AA dyno plot. If I show no gains or a loss refund? To think Jim's tunes suck... I'm not here to throw gas on the fire. But asking to find a cherry unmolested ZHP is crap. 95% of the people that would be interested in this tune already have mods. I think Ice's car is a great platform, he has a shark dyno with his current mods?? Sounds like a slam dunk? On the other thread we have a list of 4 people waiting for dynos to purchase your product. I'm confident MANY others will join to that list with the dynos. Lets get the info out there.
    xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #44
    ikeupinya
    Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
    You can get your AA chip tuned for certain mods once you upgrade. There is a noticable throttle response, im not sure about the mpg because i added headers, chip, mid section, and exhaust all at once. Never been a fan of Dinan, most of their products are over priced for what they deliver. On top of that, ive never met anyone with a Dinan mod, so im sure theres not too many out there. That alone speaks for itself. Although Dinan is covered under warranty with your factory BMW one. However AA are great guys and theyll work with you if something is not right. Just my experience. BTW a chip alone wont do much for HP unless you have other mods to go along with it. example..headers, intake, exhaust
    True story!!! AA Software FTMFW...
    Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #45
    murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
    Very bold statement my friend for someone recommending a generic 'piggy back tune' for a NA BMW. These have been debated for several years and whether you choose AA or Dinan our options are clearly better for a NA BMW motor than a piggy back for several reasons. We have been tuning BMW's for well over 20 years and while they are same cases where a piggyback may be recommended on newer cars I cannot think why you would want a piggyback.
    Just to clarify, a flash != piggyback. A piggyback intercepts sensor signals and changes them to achieve the desired outcome.

To the OP - if you're 17 and stretching the budget for a tune, don't bother!

As far as I can tell most of what the Shark did for my car was to make the throttle response more aggressive at the low end, which I find really annoying. (harder to be smooth on the throttle!)

I've never heard of a tune that really did much, and I don't really understand why AA can't flash a car similar to the Shark. Are you actually reading the tune from the car, modifying a few values based on that tune, and sending it back? Why couldn't a device like the Shark be made to do this? Silly.

And lack of Dyno? Seriously, what respectable tuner doesn't back it up with a dyno? The E46 is in no man's land in the area of tuning, it's ridiculous. If there were an AA shop within 300 miles of Minneapolis I might consider it, but mailing my ECU somewhere isn't an option.
    murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #46
    xixixi
    Banned User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
    Sir as i said before i wasent 100% positive on the shark=rattle but in more than 1 case the shark was the initiating factor for a small rattle noise. whether it be the shark or not ive yet to hear anything negative from AA tune. im personnally glad that you fellow Fanatics feel you can call a shark a tune Hahah and pushing a product persoannyl ive had shark SB and my AA tune, and the SB was a no result product. i liked the increase rev limit of shark but still not really that great. maybe you had 14 hp but in reality the extent of my butt dyno was shifting at a latter point. Having the AA tune on my car trippled the pickup at around 3,500 rpm.. almost felt like changing your spark plugs after 100,000 miles of corrosion. And buddy if your going to spend 300 you might as well spend 200 more and get a custom tune for everything you have. Shark dosent even get close to that. And AA gives you a warranty which having the SB and shark, if i didnt feel a difference i would shot it right back to them and dropped AA to hell! but NO! im overall impressed with the top end pikup when racing in 2nd at high r.p.m.'s with the rev limiter removed and my bimmerbrakes headers actually sounded different with the AA tune.. i dont think AA secretely put a cat-back on my car when i was sleeping. but instead of there being intervals of bum da bum (sound of exhaust while idling) its a thick low thmmmmm( sorry best way i can describe it.) But i happen to be fortunate enough to try all 3 and if shark was really that good i would have reflashed my AA tune to stock and put on my shark. Hasent happened yet. IDK man honeslty besides the wait time for my brain ( which just go to your local approved shop) i have no issues with my tune..

F.Y.I - M.P.G. went from 19 to 22 hahaha not kidding and i even drive the car harder now that they reopened a canyon pass i go to every week with my buddys.

And double F.Y.I. i think the AA sticker is freakin sweet!
    I'm getting 23.4 mpg with a 5spd and 3.46's.. Please tell me how I get better gas mileage than you? 04 330 should be a 6speed with 2.93s? good post
    Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
    vXCONSTANTINEXv
    Banned

My Ride: 2001 325i
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
    Just to clarify, a flash != piggyback. A piggyback intercepts sensor signals and changes them to achieve the desired outcome.

To the OP - if you're 17 and stretching the budget for a tune, don't bother!

As far as I can tell most of what the Shark did for my car was to make the throttle response more aggressive at the low end, which I find really annoying. (harder to be smooth on the throttle!)

I've never heard of a tune that really did much, and I don't really understand why AA can't flash a car similar to the Shark. Are you actually reading the tune from the car, modifying a few values based on that tune, and sending it back? Why couldn't a device like the Shark be made to do this? Silly.

And lack of Dyno? Seriously, what respectable tuner doesn't back it up with a dyno? The E46 is in no man's land in the area of tuning, it's ridiculous. If there were an AA shop within 300 miles of Minneapolis I might consider it, but mailing my ECU somewhere isn't an option.
    yea im not trying to stretch my budget, i make about a grand every two weeks...i just hate throwing it into my car and just going on a buying spree.

i cannot of said it more perfectly. EXAMPLE>> i wanna get exhaust for my car so i type in remus in youtube and i get 2 search results. one is on a camera phone...really? Then I type in eclipse exhaust and everybody and their uncle posted a vid of one.

and im about 22 mpg stock
    vXCONSTANTINEXv is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #48
    badfast

My Ride: A Car
    So, what we have here is another thread about chips with no dynos.

Quote:
    Our customers/dealers install these on a daily basis and love it.
    AA claims this. If they are installed so much (on a daily basis) why is it difficult to put up a dyno? The more and more I think about, the BMW tuning community is in a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by badfast; 11-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #49
    Ronin951

My Ride: 2013 328i MSport
    AA,
    I have a bone stock zhp and dyno time in the bank. I'll be more than happy to dyno and mail you my DME for a flash. I can get you dyno details if desired. It's at a reputable Porsche race shop...not a retailer.

The only catch is if I don't like the results you'll restore for free.
    Ronin951 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #50
    xixixi
    Banned User

bump!!! Still no dynos!!
    Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #51
    Viral@ActiveAutowerke
    Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
    bump!!! Still no dynos!!
    Still looking for a Local car to get this done.
    Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
    Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #52
    TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
    How about a 323, 325, or 328? Why does it have to be a ZHP? If you can tune ANY E46, why not back that up...with a dyno of ANY E46?!?

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
    TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #53
    Iceman00
    I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
    Especially since a small number of cars came with the ZHP package.
    Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #54
    Tu MaDRe

My Ride: 3 series
    I know this thread is old and I still have a lot to learn but I'm looking into a legit tune for my 4dr '00 323i 5 sp. I was lookin at a different company that nobody mentioned in this thread for a tune. I'm really curious about this tune claiming more horsepower then 15
    http://oetuning.com/index.php/bmw-323i-e36-2-5.html

but after reading this thread and now that I'm aware of some other companies out there.
    Now that I read; I should wait to do a tune & basic bolt on's (intake, headers, exhaust. Could somebody referred me any good performance brands? Exhaust; what company is out there that doesnt sound like a honda, that's just me), evosport under drive pulley kit (not sure if this recommended), all at once.

Could I also put on a different intake manifold for more power? If so, which one??

What would happen if I go with a tune on a stock motor first and then later down the road I decide to put in bolt on's?

Sorry to bring up old commen & noob questions here but I just don't want to create an thread and get yell at.

Thank you

Last edited by Tu MaDRe; 11-26-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Tu MaDRe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #55
    Steven747

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tu MaDRe View Post
    I know this thread is old and I still have a lot to learn but I'm looking into a legit tune for my 4dr '00 323i 5 sp. I was lookin at a different company that nobody mentioned in this thread for a tune. I'm really curious about this tune claiming more horsepower then 15
    http://oetuning.com/index.php/bmw-323i-e36-2-5.html

but after reading this thread and now that I'm aware of some other companies out there.
    Now that I read; I should wait to do a tune & basic bolt on's (intake, headers, exhaust. Could somebody referred me any good performance brands? Exhaust; what company is out there that doesnt sound like a honda, that's just me), evosport under drive pulley kit (not sure if this recommended), all at once.

Could I also put on a different intake manifold for more power? If so, which one??

What would happen if I go with a tune on a stock motor first and then later down the road I decide to put in bolt on's?

Sorry to bring up old commen & noob questions here but I just don't want to create an thread and get yell at.

Thank you
    you can use the search function. all your questions have been answered on this site more than once
    Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
    Tu MaDRe

^Thanks Estephanie^
    Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #57
    Steven747

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tu MaDRe View Post
    ^Thanks Estephanie^
    let me guess 3 years old?
    Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #58
    Tu MaDRe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
    let me guess 3 years old?
    May I second guess? You sure do have a life

Last edited by Tu MaDRe; 11-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #59
    SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
    Idk about any other of you AA guys but my CEL was not removed like promised. Didn't throw a CEL until maybe 6 hours after getting the AA tune flashed. But besides that the AA tune did make my car feel a little smoother.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

- Phil
    11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
    05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
    01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
    Financial Help
    SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote