X-drilled rotors - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #21
cbrommer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2004 325i
The new ones look like they are drilled and slotted.

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp
__________________

innovative concepts :: e46fanatic :: cbrommer

cbrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
WALKD U
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 5,433
My Ride: Just Fast!
Send a message via AIM to WALKD U Send a message via Yahoo to WALKD U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Whats different about the new version? Are they still even floating rotors? I can't tell.
They are Triple Drilled and Slotted Rotors. I believe they are Semi Floating Rotors. Just a Different Design.

-TrippinBimmer
__________________
2005 AW/IR M3
MaximumPSI Stage4
993whp/651wtq SAE Corrected

2005 JB/BLK 330i ZHP
NA Bolt-ons
207whp/216wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

1988 SETA 325I
NA Bolt-ons
165whp/160wtq SAE Corrected
WALKD U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
Brian N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The OC
Posts: 10,436
My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
They are Triple Drilled and Slotted Rotors. I believe they are Semi Floating Rotors. Just a Different Design.

-TrippinBimmer
They do look better but I would probably rather have full floating. Unless there is an advantage to semi-floating rotors? I don't even know what a semi floating rotor is.
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
WALKD U
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 5,433
My Ride: Just Fast!
Send a message via AIM to WALKD U Send a message via Yahoo to WALKD U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
They do look better but I would probably rather have full floating. Unless there is an advantage to semi-floating rotors? I don't even know what a semi floating rotor is.
Solid Rotor = A single piece of metal is bolted to the wheel.

Semi Floating Rotors = You have a center piece and a separate outer part that the brake pads touch. The two are connected by a bunch of round "buttons" that allow a small amount of movement between the two.

Full Floating Rotors = The braking surface is relatively loose so that it can move around to hopefully become in perfect alignment with the pads. Full floating rotors are less likely to pulse than solid or Semi Floating rotors. Full floating rotors make noise at low speeds as the parts move around, since they're kind of loose.

-TrippinBimmer
__________________
2005 AW/IR M3
MaximumPSI Stage4
993whp/651wtq SAE Corrected

2005 JB/BLK 330i ZHP
NA Bolt-ons
207whp/216wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

1988 SETA 325I
NA Bolt-ons
165whp/160wtq SAE Corrected
WALKD U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #25
Brian N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The OC
Posts: 10,436
My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Solid Rotor = A single piece of metal is bolted to the wheel.

Semi Floating Rotors = You have a center piece and a separate outer part that the brake pads touch. The two are connected by a bunch of round "buttons" that allow a small amount of movement between the two.

Full Floating Rotors = The braking surface is relatively loose so that it can move around to hopefully become in perfect alignment with the pads. Full floating rotors are less likely to pulse than solid or Semi Floating rotors. Full floating rotors make noise at low speeds as the parts move around, since they're kind of loose.

-TrippinBimmer
Thanks for all the info!
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
franz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 3,968
My Ride: 03 330i
It appears Turner Motorsport still has them in stock for $179/pr fronts, not a bad price at this time.
I got a pair from them and a pair from Tischer, the first set is working really well so far.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
Brian N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The OC
Posts: 10,436
My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
It appears Turner Motorsport still has them in stock for $179/pr fronts, not a bad price at this time.
I got a pair from them and a pair from Tischer, the first set is working really well so far.
Yup I ordered a full set of them yesterday from Turner fronts for 179 and rears for 150. Which is still a really good deal if you ask me.
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.