E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
millamber

My Ride: 2003 E46 330CI
E46 Haulingan unit

Hi
Iím new to the forum but just wanted to post on my experience with the alternative to the Dynavin, the Haulingan head unit.
I bought the Haulingan mainly because it is cheaper, and seemed to provide most of the features I was looking for.
I ordered it from a guy who supplies similar units for the MG rover cars. Who trades from www.autogpsdvds.com. Simply because of the positive reviews about him on the rover forum.
On receiving the unit all looked well it is solidly put together and I think it looks pretty good in the car. The overall sound quality is pretty good and I would say better than my stock (non HK) unit. The unit functions well except for my major gripes below.
There is a very high pitched sound coming out of the speakers all the time the unit is on, it is quiet but once you notice it It drives you nutss! And secondly there is a buzzing interference noise on some of the unitís inputs. Namely the Bluetooth and Ipod modes, but not on the AUX in? This seems to be caused by the GPS "side" of the unit, because if you turn down the GPS volume the noise greatly reduces but doesn't go away. I think it must be a grounding issue inside the unit but I donít have enough knowledge to try to fix it. My thoughts on the Ipod buzzing are that it is due to the charging as the sound is very similar to if you plug a normal car charger into the phone and then try to play music via the headphone jack to a car stereo.
Iím hoping that my unit is faulty and not that the units are rubbish as that would be a shame.
The main thing I would caution you on is the Manufacturers (Hualingan) have awful customer service they refuse to accept that the unit is faulty and their solution is not to turn the volume up! Which is really helpful. If I had bought direct from them I would be stuffed now with a useless unit. They are refusing to help at all. Thankfully I have the buffer of my supplier.
Does anyone have any ideas about the issues above or similar stories? I also get a much louder buzzing with my headlights turned on....... I have read on forums that this is cured by grounding the unit. However no one states where they are grounding it or what to, everything I try has no effect
Cheers
Matt
millamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Grounding and isolation. You need power filters. And hope the source of the interference is not inside the unit. Which it sounds like it is, as it is source dependant. There is a reason people go for the 5th generation Dynavin. They have worked through most of these bad design issues.

When you order cheap Chinese crap with no warranty, don't be surprised by what arrives in the box.

Sorry.

Last edited by Arty; 11-03-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millamber View Post
........snip
I bought the Haulingan mainly because it is cheaper,
Cheers
Matt
This right here tells the story. Sounds like with this unit, the old motto of "you get what you pay for" fits.

sorry you are having issues, but seems like you may have needed to do more research first. I hope you get the problems worked out so it isn't a total waste of money.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
millamber

My Ride: 2003 E46 330CI
Thanks for the replies it does have filters, which is why I think your right its comming from inside the unit. Fortunatley I do have a warranty otherwise I would be stuffed, I just wanted to point out about the attitude of the manufacturers, and that its not a good idea to order direct. I did research on the units and there are loads of happy customers with different models for different cars, either my unit is just plain faulty or the Bmw units are not as good as the others. It does seem that most people on here have gone with the Dynavin so perhaps that should have been the way forward. Hopefully a replacement unit will solve my problems though.
millamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
The problem you will find is that these companies won't want to throw the old units that are a bit dodgy in the bin. They will ship the old PCBs even though there is a known fault and often a replacement available. Dynavin at least have got to V5, (3G) so you know which revision of hardware you are getting (the latest).
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Yep, there is a reason the dynavin is so popular here....There were issues early but we worked through them and dynavin has done a great job of addressing issues quickly and listening to customer feedback, thats why I decided to get involved with them as a dealer.

That said, it doesnt help you out of your current issue....if your car has the oem amplifier it is likely that you are experiencing the same issue that the early dynavins had, the output of the headunit is too high for the amp, installing a line output converter in line on the speaker outputs to reduce the level to better match the amp should eliminate a lot of the noise you are experiencing.

If you dont have the factory amp....get a warranty replacement because you have something wrong.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 11-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
What do you expect from a 'Hooligan'

Tags
buzzing, dynavin, haulingan