E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
charlesrock

My Ride: 2003 bmw 325i
*video* Idling seems rough.. feels like it wants to stall

Hey guys,

another post by me, and im very thankful that you are all a great help.

So, I noticed that when I give my car gas in idle, when coming down to the 1500 RPM, it stops, then goes down slower.. I also recently noticed that it feels like it wants to stall when its idling and i just barely tap the gas.. the power feels like it wants to cut. any idea as to what this can be? I posted a video below, but it doesnt do any justice.. u need to be there to see it.

charlesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Oh please, that's nothing

Mine goes under 500 sometimes
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
charlesrock

I am just wondering why it slows down when its going back to normal rev idle when i rev it up... also, why does it feel like its gonna stall when i just barely touch the gas in idle? anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Next time I go for a drive I'll show you my needle (no pun intended)
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
charlesrock

haha no problem.. i think i may just need to check the intake rubber boot.. it still feels abit weird.. maybe im just too seeing things as this is my first bmw..
Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Whats the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
charlesrock

the problem is when i rev it, it feels like at 1500 rpm it stops and then drops slowly... and when its in neutral (car is manual) and i give it just abit of gas, it feels as if it wants to stall and turn off
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
If anything, clean your ICV. but other than that, your idle fluctuation is perfectly normal. When you let your foot off the gas, the engine speed will obviously go down. The computer senses the dip in idle speed and adds fuel to stablize the idle. It's working exactly as intended. Stop worrying and enjoy your car. Trust me, you'll have real problems to ask us about down the road.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
red.stephen71121

My Ride: 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
If anything, clean your ICV. but other than that, your idle fluctuation is perfectly normal. When you let your foot off the gas, the engine speed will obviously go down. The computer senses the dip in idle speed and adds fuel to stablize the idle. It's working exactly as intended. Stop worrying and enjoy your car. Trust me, you'll have real problems to ask us about down the road.
agreed.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.stephen71121 View Post
agreed.

every body said that this normal. but in my openion this is not normal at all. there is somthing wrong. it wasnt like that before right? so how it's normal?!!

Maybe it's not big problem, but it's not normal too.

I didnt have time to chech my ICV, but I have checked for vacum leak, found nothing.

Please update us if find the cause or the selution of this.

Thanks,

Last edited by maxi; 11-06-2010 at 06:43 AM.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Next time I go for a drive I'll show you my needle (no pun intended)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Hukerfaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
I have post same vids for my car has the same prob exactly, plus it can be happen when turn the AC off ( it will dip to 500 ).

every body said that this normal. but in my openion this is not normal at all. there is somthing wrong. it wasnt like that before right? so how it's normal?!!

Maybe it's not big problem, but it's not normal too.

I didnt have time to chech my ICV, but I have checked for vacum leak, found nothing.

Please update us if find the cause or the selution of this.

Thanks,

Your 100% right pal, that's not normal at all. I know because my current e46 works perfectly and doesn't give a **** about it if I turn AC on or off, there's not even a slight change in engine operation nor fluctuating idle or such.
But my previous car did exactly what you described.

The first person who ever solves fluctuating/rough idle and roughing with AC on or when the whether is high will be celebrated as a ****ing hero.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
huh mine idles at 700ish, I have no idea why though =/ yours is perfectly fine
Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP...your little dip might be a very early...very early indicator of icv with a little dirt on it. Nothing serious...looks like to me anyway.

But, when it starts surging up and down...then search 'idle surge'--there's a massive thread on it...some had mixed results...I posted after I took a trip to throttle body myself and fixed my issue. Don't know when I did that trip...but been idling steady at 700 since...cleaned everything in my path and have written about it a lot...evidently too much...so I'll just let you search!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
charlesrock

thanks guys, im going to get my ICV cleaned and hopefully solves the minor problem!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrock View Post
thanks guys, im going to get my ICV cleaned and hopefully solves the minor problem!
You know, you have time to plan the trip and take care of lots of stuff while you're there anyway...so okay...the list is clean maf, disa, icv, tb...replace rubber behind disa, icv, tb. Replace lower intake boot and get new clamps just in case you get frustrated and want to cut off that one on the tb turned upside down often that gives everyone headaches. The icv grommet is optional, I suppose...but I did it...figured at my then mileage of something like 180K miles...all rubber had done its time. I also lubed my tb cable (if you have one...prolly not) and also sealed the loose vac hose on upper intake boot.

You up on all other maintenance? filters, plugs, fluid changes, etc? Just saying...I love recommending maintenance...and use SolidJake's vid for icv...the hot bikini babes really make it worthwhile viewing in any case!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
charlesrock

Hey,

Yup, did every fluid change possible on the car and spark plugs! I have an AEM filter for more air flow (removed the stock air box)...

questions, where is that video your talking about and im a noob to this other question, when people refer to "vacuum leak" is that where the intake boot (hose) is?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
dmax

Jake linked the vid in the other icv thread you'll find right next to yours.

The lower intake boot, if cracked, causes unmetered air to enter engine and the car doesn't know where it came from, coz the maf (mass air flow sensor) didn't register it, so it will add extra fuel to compensate and you'll run lean...at some point, this may trigger 02 sensors who see lots of unburnt fuel, coz mixture was bad...and you'll get the CEL...and if unattended, will end up shortening the life of your cat.

There are a number of vac lines around...one runs the instant mpg gauge in your car, others work in the emissions control system...and I'm sure there are others too...but don't quiz me...would be guessing even more! LOL

Oh...this air filter you have...is it an oiled kind? If so...don't seem to like all the stories we hear about them messing up the MAF...so clean that.

And finally, since we had a guy blowing up his intake manifold...after you clean the icv (remove to clean!) let it dry thoroughly before starting the car...and don't spray TB cleaner into TB...either just wipe with a rag with cleaner on it (parts or TB cleaner) or remove it and spray it well. Assuming you didn't plan to do TB...I think I'd prolly leave it on...or search for whether guys seal it with touch of rtv. You want all that stuff on intake side sealed...and that might be the vac leak you're talking about...air can suck into through the disa, I know (again, unmetered air) coz there is a vacuum inside engine...slight, but enough to suck in air...so get things sealed up well is all I can say. If you can, pull things off and replace rubber behind...if you have a car that drives to go and get what you need from dealer...which may or may not have these things...suspect they prolly use rtv...but don't know if they'd use anything at all.

Doug

Last edited by dmax; 11-07-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #19
Hukerfaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You know, you have time to plan the trip and take care of lots of stuff while you're there anyway...so okay...the list is clean maf, disa, icv, tb...replace rubber behind disa, icv, tb. Replace lower intake boot and get new clamps just in case you get frustrated and want to cut off that one on the tb turned upside down often that gives everyone headaches. The icv grommet is optional, I suppose...but I did it...figured at my then mileage of something like 180K miles...all rubber had done its time. I also lubed my tb cable (if you have one...prolly not) and also sealed the loose vac hose on upper intake boot.

You up on all other maintenance? filters, plugs, fluid changes, etc? Just saying...I love recommending maintenance...and use SolidJake's vid for icv...the hot bikini babes really make it worthwhile viewing in any case!

Doug
You are dude from hell dmax. This forum would be nothing without you
Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukerfaker View Post
You are dude from hell dmax. This forum would be nothing without you
Thanks, Huker, but the forum would be nothing without all the guys on the forum I learned everything from. Aside from Bentley...this, and formerly bmwdigest for my e36, is where I learned everything from. I got good at searching...thanks to seeing what happens to noobs when they don't...and since I care about the subject...my car...studied long and hard...and then just remember and regurgitate (I know...putting it politely from what some think!).

Anyway...I'm just a current messenger and there are many of us...never enough...but many...and most know far more than me about lots. But, I'll take credit for typing quickly and writing as thoroughly as I can...much to the dismay of many!

Anyway...will take that as your appreciation for fanatics....the forum, the people, and the search feature! LOL

Doug