E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
TMS E46 M3 solid differential mounts

Does anyone have these? Im looking to upgrade mine because the front mount is starting to fail. My main concern is if I get these solid mounts will I have added noise in the cab? or does the subframe bushings block the noise still?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Does anyone have these? Im looking to upgrade mine because the front mount is starting to fail. My main concern is if I get these solid mounts will I have added noise in the cab? or does the subframe bushings block the noise still?
I would just get OEM bushings again. Think how much abuse those bushings take especially with the power you make. All the energy your bushings absorb is going to be turned into vibration and noise. If it was a track-only car it would be one thing - but I'd never use solid bushings on a street car.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
I would just get OEM bushings again. Think how much abuse those bushings take especially with the power you make. All the energy your bushings absorb is going to be turned into vibration and noise. If it was a track-only car it would be one thing - but I'd never use solid bushings on a street car.
Frame that statement.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
PowerFlex 90A Bushing FTW!
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Powerflex from Bimmerworld.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
InDiGlOM3

Powerflex makes a e46 m3 "DIff" bushing kit?? I couldnt find anything from them.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Powerflex makes a e46 m3 "DIff" bushing kit?? I couldnt find anything from them.
Oh snap...overlooked it as for subframe

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Call up turner or bimmerworld...see what they are using????

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 11-08-2010 at 02:08 PM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
That's the mistake everyone keeps making - everyone thinks you're talking about your subframe.

Food for thought - I'm not sure what Turner and Bimmerworld run, but I know of at least one team who runs alongside them in Grand-Am that uses only rubber bushings on their BMW racecar. I, too, only use rubber bushings on my racecar with the exception of billet aluminum/delrin combo subframe bushings.

If racecars can get away just fine with rubber, it shows you that street cars really don't need any solid or polyurethane bushings. If I was going to upgrade any bushings in my street car to "solid," it would be the subframe bushings - and I'd replace them with the billet aluminum/delrin combos - just like my racecar. Everything else would be kept rubber - especially the "moving" bits like FCABS, RTABS, and Differential bushings.

I just don't see the advantage of polyurethane. I've had them and I didn't notice any discernible difference.

Ultimately, the call is yours, but I honestly don't see the benefit.

Just my opinion, though.

Good luck

Last edited by FTWeisse; 11-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
That's the mistake everyone keeps making - everyone thinks you're talking about your subframe.

Food for thought - I'm not sure what Turner and Bimmerworld run, but I know of at least one team who runs alongside them in Grand-Am that uses only rubber bushings on their BMW racecar. I, too, only use rubber bushings on my racecar with the exception of billet aluminum/delrin combo subframe bushings.

If racecars can get away just fine with rubber, it shows you that street cars really don't need any solid or polyurethane bushings. If I was going to upgrade any bushings in my street car to "solid," it would be the subframe bushings - and I'd replace them with the billet aluminum/delrin combos - just like my racecar. Everything else would be kept rubber - especially the "moving" bits like FCABS, RTABS, and Differential bushings.

I just don't see the advantage of polyurethane. I've had them and I didn't notice any discernible difference.

Ultimately, the call is yours, but I honestly don't see the benefit.

Just my opinion, though.

Good luck
Its not really for the feeling or a notice in performance, just a wont go bad ever type of thing. My factory bushing, the center part got ripped free from the rubber.....so whats to say that wont happen again, the bushings isnt rotted at all so not sure why it happened. But I ordered the solid ones because Ive talked to a few others that say they dont hear it as long as the subframe bushings themselves arnt solid or delrin and they have the interior still in.