E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Differences between brake rotors?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ampaign=rotors

vs

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=34210431907

I see theres a weight difference, but how will the top choice benefit me over the bottom? Im not a brake expert , but want to go with a good set.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
One of them is a Front Rotor Set and the Other Link is a Rear Rotor Set.

The Front Rotors u are lookin at is Semi-Float Rotors and the Rear are a Solid Rotor.

Solid Rotor = A single piece of metal is bolted to the wheel.

Semi Floating Rotors = You have a center piece and a separate outer part that the brake pads touch. The two are connected by a bunch of round "buttons" that allow a small amount of movement between the two.

Full Floating Rotors = The braking surface is relatively loose so that it can move around to hopefully become in perfect alignment with the pads. Full floating rotors are less likely to pulse than solid or Semi Floating rotors. Full floating rotors make noise at low speeds as the parts move around, since they're kind of loose.

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
opps didnt mean to link the rears, but for the extra 20-30dollars , sounds like I should do the semi floating rotors then no?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by acpstunts View Post
opps didnt mean to link the rears, but for the extra 20-30dollars , sounds like I should do the semi floating rotors then no?
If you got the money and want a Semi-Piece Rotor go for it

-TrippinBimmer
Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
ianmc54

My Ride: 01' 330i
Do the semi-floating rotors make noise as well? Are the new BMW motorsport rotors now full floating?

The TMS ones are the old part numbers. If you enter that part number in Tischer you get the new part number and discs that are $239 a piece! Much more expensive.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672

BMW must have changed vendors. And Turner snatched up the last batch of those rotors. Which makes me wonder, was there an issue with the semi-floating rotors?
I'm in the same spot, kinda want to buy these cause at ~$30 more than stock blanks, I'm getting a semi floating cross drilled rotor.
Please chime in if anyone has had these rotors or can suggest them for a street alternative.
ianmc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmc54 View Post
Do the semi-floating rotors make noise as well? Are the new BMW motorsport rotors now full floating?

The TMS ones are the old part numbers. If you enter that part number in Tischer you get the new part number and discs that are $239 a piece! Much more expensive.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672

BMW must have changed vendors. And Turner snatched up the last batch of those rotors. Which makes me wonder, was there an issue with the semi-floating rotors?
I'm in the same spot, kinda want to buy these cause at ~$30 more than stock blanks, I'm getting a semi floating cross drilled rotor.
Please chime in if anyone has had these rotors or can suggest them for a street alternative.
Semi-Floating Rotors do not make nosies. Reason why BMW made Semi-Floats then Full Floating. The new BMW MotorSport Rotor is not a Full Float but still Semi-Floating. I ran the old semi-float rotors. No issues with them just $$$.

-TrippinBimmer