E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
330iZHPftw

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, SV650
BSW Style Dual 10" Sub Box

I think I'm going to try and build a box similar to the original BSW dual 10" box..has anybody tried this? Anybody care to post the dimensions of their BSW box? (nothing against BSW their products seem high in quality but I'm looking for a project)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
hawknthasky

My Ride: is my obsession
I'm thinking of doing that exact project. Except that the box has to fit the woofer. I've got a 10" infinity kappa; the spec sheet says I need a 1.5cu ft for a ported box. So it can fit above the rear strut towers, with my sedan dimensions, the box would have to be 41"w*6"t*16"d using 3/4" MDF.
hawknthasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
330iZHPftw

I haven't picked the woofers yet though am planning on doing some research on a set of 10" shallow mount drivers/woofers in a sealed two chamber box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub box.gif
Views:	79
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	377391  

Last edited by 330iZHPftw; 09-27-2010 at 11:51 PM.
330iZHPftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
hawknthasky

My Ride: is my obsession
Yah, like i said, you really need to make sure the box fits the woofer. I tried putting my woofer into a .70 cu ft q-logic box and sounded like total ass.
hawknthasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
KamPow3r

My Ride: ....
I've been in the market to replace the sound system in the M3. I researched the JL Audio 13 Shallow Sub, Alpine 10" & 12" Shallow Subs and the Rockford Fosgate 10" & 12" Shallow Subs.

From my reviews and speaking to a few different people the Rockford Fosgate ones are going to be the best pick. The price is unbeatable (compared to Alpine and JL) and the RMS on them are good as well.

I'm also looking to have a custom box made (like the BSW) in the bolted in the trunk. When I get these 2 12" Rockford Fosgates installed I'll post some pics for you all to see how it fits in the car and provide dimensions too at this link: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...923&highlight=

Example of what I'm looking to do: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2#ht_722wt_911

Last edited by KamPow3r; 09-29-2010 at 08:31 PM.
KamPow3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
330iZHPftw

I'm finishing up the dimensions of the sub box..but can't decide if I want to use 1/2" or 3/4" MDF!

primarily I want to use 1/2" to cut down on weight and to maximize the volume of the box..also, I am going to use shallow mount subs which I'm assuming won't put out as much SPL as full depth subs meaning it won't flex the MDF as much..this is all an assumption on my part.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge on this?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Enjoy the project

I am sure someone has the enclosures on here.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
One jl 13tw5 would be my choice. Not really a jl fan boy but they win the shallow sub category no doubt. On the 1/2" vs. 3/4" Mdf, consider using 1/2" cabinet grade plywood with well placed bracing accompanied by a internal coat of fiberglass resin to seal it completely. Plywood is far more ridgid. Also adding polyfill inside enclosure will help increase the effective internal volume.

Id still prob go with 3/4 mdf for this given the very slight difference in volume it will make.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
BigT330Ci

My Ride: 2012 Toyota Prius
Send a message via AIM to BigT330Ci Send a message via Yahoo to BigT330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZHPftw View Post
I'm finishing up the dimensions of the sub box..but can't decide if I want to use 1/2" or 3/4" MDF!

primarily I want to use 1/2" to cut down on weight and to maximize the volume of the box..also, I am going to use shallow mount subs which I'm assuming won't put out as much SPL as full depth subs meaning it won't flex the MDF as much..this is all an assumption on my part.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge on this?
Use 5/8" MDF. Works perfect and no issues. Seal the edges and brace the corners and you will be fine. Be sure to mount the woofer with "t-nuts" not wood screws and enjoy the boom!
BigT330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, bsw, subwoofer