E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
e46pauler

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
My e46 Performance & Exhaust mods/Exhaust Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I just have a few questions.

Here are my list of performance mods for my newly acquired 2005 330i Steptronic with 60,000kms:

-F1 Autohaus Headers (picked up locally off another member)
-BMW performance intake (ordered because of the great deal)
-Active Autowerke ECU tune with O2 sensor deletion (Shop 10 mins away from my house, will do when headers installed)
-Exhaust, preferably catback (Undecided, this is what I need help with)

What I want from my exhaust is to not even know its modified until I go into the higher RPMs/WOT. I HATE drone. I have been in other vehicles where there's obnoxious exhaust drone and it's absolutely the most irritating thing in the world.

So far the only exhaust that I've found to somewhat meet my criteria is the following:

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I know this guy's obviously screwing around and getting pretty high in the RPM's in this video, does anyone know how it sounds shifting low around town? Any info/opinions is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
e46pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
badfast

My Ride: A Car
I wish I could get the BMW Performance Intake. Apparently it doesnt fit a 323. What is the difference betwen a 325 intake and a 323?

And that Borla sounds damn good!
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
e46pauler

Well looking at a picture of your engine the throttle body is in the same spot as it is in my engine, and the vent mounts in the same spot as it does in my engine. I'm assuming the only difference is the size of the throttlebody, if you really want this intake just buy a cheap piece of silicone pipe and 2 hose clamps. Stick one side on the new intake and one on your throttle body, it should work. Or if you want to do it properly find out the outside diameter of your throttle body and the diameter of the intake and just find a place that sells a silicone adaptor that size. Shouldn't be too hard, looks pretty straight forward but there could be some small technicalities to it.

And thanks! I think it sounds badass as well I'm just worried about interior drone/excessive noise in the morning when I leave for school. I was hoping someone could chime in with something in respect to that?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Wish I could help you with firsthand reports, but I have always heard the Borla and magnaflow cat-back's coupled with headers sound like pure sexual relations. Hopefully can answer more directly as to their tone at idle/cruising/low RPMs

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Don't do a catback like the uuc tse3 with headers because it will be too loud for any sane human being lol...

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
e46pauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Wish I could help you with firsthand reports, but I have always heard the Borla and magnaflow cat-back's coupled with headers sound like pure sexual relations. Hopefully can answer more directly as to their tone at idle/cruising/low RPMs
sounds good, I Love the sound too, my biggest worry right now is the sheer decibels it'll produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Don't do a catback like the uuc tse3 with headers because it will be too loud for any sane human being lol...

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
Exactly why I'm avoiding that one, it's way too loud!

Is there anything thats quiter at idle/cruising speed? What's your view on the borla catback + header?

Also I should ask, how much of a performance increase will I likely get with a catback exhaust? I know I'll get around 10 WHP from the headers, is there much that an exhaust can do? Should I just pick up a BMW performance exhaust and add in some new piping + new cat? Very confused right now as to what to do.

How is the "kpeng" exhaust as far as loudness/sound of the exhaust?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46pauler View Post
sounds good, I Love the sound too, my biggest worry right now is the sheer decibels it'll produce.

Exactly why I'm avoiding that one, it's way too loud!

Is there anything thats quiter at idle/cruising speed? What's your view on the borla catback + header?

Also I should ask, how much of a performance increase will I likely get with a catback exhaust? I know I'll get around 10 WHP from the headers, is there much that an exhaust can do? Should I just pick up a BMW performance exhaust and add in some new piping + new cat? Very confused right now as to what to do.

How is the "kpeng" exhaust as far as loudness/sound of the exhaust?
Header + Catback Does Not Equal Quiet.

What I would do is a get a deep toned muffler and drop one of the resonators. Your gonna have to play around with which one to drop. The first is the one that makes the system pretty quiet, and its also pretty heavy.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
e46pauler

Quote:
Header + Catback Does Not Equal Quiet.

What I would do is a get a deep toned muffler and drop one of the resonators. Your gonna have to play around with which one to drop. The first is the one that makes the system pretty quiet, and its also pretty heavy.
What about getting the BMW performance exhaust for my car and getting the shop to weld in a new resonator + new high flow cat?

I just can't justify spending so much $$$ on the header + the install and then attaching it to an old exhaust.

I don't mind if its louder than stock but I don't want civic fart cannon everywhere I go, and when I put my foot down I want to hear the car scream.

Oxymoron and they seem like they're contradicting each other but oh well, lets see if I can figure something out.

Last edited by e46pauler; 11-06-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
TrickTizzle

Quote:
What about getting the BMW performance exhaust for my car and getting the shop to weld in a new resonator + new high flow cat?

I just can't justify spending so much $$$ on the header + the install and then attaching it to an old exhaust.

I don't mind if its louder than stock but I don't want civic fart cannon everywhere I go, and when I put my foot down I want to hear the car scream.

Oxymoron and they seem like they're contradicting each other but oh well, lets see if I can figure something out.
Highflow cats are pretty much useless, and your catalytic converters are apart of your headers, so get aftermarket header to get rid of your cats for more power, and put the bmw performance muffler on, and remove one of the cats to your liking.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
e46pauler

Quote:
Highflow cats are pretty much useless, and your catalytic converters are apart of your headers, so get aftermarket header to get rid of your cats for more power, and put the bmw performance muffler on, and remove one of the cats to your liking.
I'm still really indecisive on this. I'd pay someone money to hear their car in person, or atleast have someone with a borla catback + headers take some non WOT videos. I might just finally give in and just get the borla and throw it on with my headers and just see what happens It's gonna be a lot of $$$$ if I don't like it though, only reason I'm still on the fence about it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
TrickTizzle

Quote:
I'm still really indecisive on this. I'd pay someone money to hear their car in person, or atleast have someone with a borla catback + headers take some non WOT videos. I might just finally give in and just get the borla and throw it on with my headers and just see what happens It's gonna be a lot of $$$$ if I don't like it though, only reason I'm still on the fence about it.
Dont get a borla or magnaflow. Everyother BMW here has one, make yours different!

EDIT: Although the Borla does sound very nice!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I had a custom single 3" exhaust built with two Borla Pro XS mufflers in-line, and I loved the sound! Nice and quiet, but a little more than stock with a nice gurgle off-throttle.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
e46pauler

Quote:
Dont get a borla or magnaflow. Everyother BMW here has one, make yours different!

EDIT: Although the Borla does sound very nice!
the borla sounds I think I'm just gonna go for it and hope it's not too loud and avoid the cop hot spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
I had a custom single 3" exhaust built with two Borla Pro XS mufflers in-line, and I loved the sound! Nice and quiet, but a little more than stock with a nice gurgle off-throttle.
Sounds kinda like exactly what I want. Did you run a header also?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Sounds kinda like exactly what I want. Did you run a header also?
I'm running a stock header for now. The first person who can build me an STX-legal header with high flow cats in it for a reasonable price gets my money. =]
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote