E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
basyo1

My Ride: 323ci e46
Fuel Cover Problem!

Filling up yesterday and I go to push the fuel cover in so it pops out to reveal the fuel cap, but it simply clicked in, then would not unlock. Luckily i checked around the car and found the manual release in the boot and opened it that way. When i filled up and closed the cover it clicked in perfectly, then i could also unlock it as well after i had used the manual release. Then i started the car and turned it off again and the fuel cover wouldn't unclick!

Is it the locking system to the cap that has malfunctioned or.........?

The door jammer went earlier this week and now this! jeez...

Thanks, hope i can find out what to do.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
CroVlado

My Ride: 2004 MB BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to CroVlado
with age come problems.. might be an electrical issue where it locks it... does ur car lock everything when u go over 5mph.. next time try to hit the unlock button on ur key and see if it unlocks for u... if not. check fuses or the solenoid that unlocks it.

| 04 Mystic Blue M3 | 07 White R6 |

MY LAGUNA SECA BLUE INTERIOR DYE PROJECT
CroVlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by basyo1 View Post
Filling up yesterday and I go to push the fuel cover in so it pops out to reveal the fuel cap, but it simply clicked in, then would not unlock. Luckily i checked around the car and found the manual release in the boot and opened it that way. When i filled up and closed the cover it clicked in perfectly, then i could also unlock it as well after i had used the manual release. Then i started the car and turned it off again and the fuel cover wouldn't unclick!

Is it the locking system to the cap that has malfunctioned or.........?

The door jammer went earlier this week and now this! jeez...

Thanks, hope i can find out what to do.
The door 'jammer'? Not sure what that is in American English, but sounds like the door lock cylinder that you put your key in to manually lock car. It almost sounds to me like that is related. That, or your car is set to automatically lock the doors when you drive and you're forgetting to click the unlock button, as mentioned above, when filling gas.

That, or maybe in the repair of jammer, that you left it in a locking position that works in conjunction with the 'lock all doors when driving' feature.

Just guessing.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
Your fuel cover lock rod may be jamming or sticking. If you have to use the manual release then do that. Once the fuel cover is open, leave it fully open. Shut all the car doors and arm the car with remote. When the car is armed a little black rod should stick out about 1/2 inch and that is what holds the fuel door closed. Arm and disarm the car a few times. It should freely stick out when armed and retract when disarmed. Check how freely it moves. If it's moving freely but intermittently then it may be a faulty motor or solenoid (can't remember which it uses).

Note: the fuel door should only lock when car is armed. When you are in the car driving etc even with doors locked the fuel cover door should be unlocked.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
basyo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The door 'jammer'? Not sure what that is in American English, but sounds like the door lock cylinder that you put your key in to manually lock car. It almost sounds to me like that is related. That, or your car is set to automatically lock the doors when you drive and you're forgetting to click the unlock button, as mentioned above, when filling gas.

That, or maybe in the repair of jammer, that you left it in a locking position that works in conjunction with the 'lock all doors when driving' feature.

Just guessing.

Doug
Hey doug, the door jammer (very american term) is the device which holds the door at points so you can get out without the door closing on you, you know like the little notches when you open your door? its mechanical and manual, not related to any electrics
Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
basyo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlau330Ci View Post
Your fuel cover lock rod may be jamming or sticking. If you have to use the manual release then do that. Once the fuel cover is open, leave it fully open. Shut all the car doors and arm the car with remote. When the car is armed a little black rod should stick out about 1/2 inch and that is what holds the fuel door closed. Arm and disarm the car a few times. It should freely stick out when armed and retract when disarmed. Check how freely it moves. If it's moving freely but intermittently then it may be a faulty motor or solenoid (can't remember which it uses).

Note: the fuel door should only lock when car is armed. When you are in the car driving etc even with doors locked the fuel cover door should be unlocked.
Hey thanks heaps. Yeah the little black arm was not retracting when I went to open it and hence stopping it from opening. I locked and unlocked the car about 10 times and then it started retracting when the car was unlocked and closed when i locked it, seems like its started working again.. odd. It will probably start sticking again so ill take it down to the shop and have a look at the solenoid (pretty sure is not a motor). Thanks

Tags
cover, e46, fuel, lock, unlock