E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #61
440films

My Ride: 2005 X5 4.4
I hope this will help someone in the future. I was able to get everything working. My issue was the first line in the SYS.TXT:

app="StorageCard/iGO Primo"

I didn't need it. I had tried to delete the SYS.TXT file in testing but I was getting different errors and the whole process was getting confusing to keep track of what I tried and what I didn't.

I can confirm that formatting my SD Card in a MAC was and is not an issue. Thanks to all on this board (especially Darko) for their help.
440films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #62
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC328i View Post
When I get to a destination and the nav screen is on, I turn off the car. When I turn the car back on, the blue Dynavin nav screen shows, then the white screen with the three options, then the custom screen until it's loaded. I thought when I first loaded Primo, it would go right to the custom load screen, skipping the first two. Was I dreaming or did I change something?
The Dynavin screen is for the unit booting up and is coded into the firmware. It will always show this screen when you turn on the head unit. Think of this as your computer's BIOS screen. It will always load, no matter what operating system you have installed.

The white screen with the three options is the Windows CE interface, so that's also part of the firmware. Think of this screen as your "Windows Desktop". If you go into settings, you can set the navigation program to automatically start when you hit the NAV button. In that respect, hitting the NAV button is like double clicking on an icon and starting iGO Primo. Sometimes you might not see this screen because iGO is started automatically and it'll already be at the iGO loading screen.

The custom loading screen is only for when iGO Primo is loading. It is purely software and has no relation to the firmware side of the headunit.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #63
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
For primo, can someone suggest a good green sports car?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #64
SC328i

My Ride: 03 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncompiled View Post
The Dynavin screen is for the unit booting up and is coded into the firmware. It will always show this screen when you turn on the head unit. Think of this as your computer's BIOS screen. It will always load, no matter what operating system you have installed.

The white screen with the three options is the Windows CE interface, so that's also part of the firmware. Think of this screen as your "Windows Desktop". If you go into settings, you can set the navigation program to automatically start when you hit the NAV button. In that respect, hitting the NAV button is like double clicking on an icon and starting iGO Primo. Sometimes you might not see this screen because iGO is started automatically and it'll already be at the iGO loading screen.

The custom loading screen is only for when iGO Primo is loading. It is purely software and has no relation to the firmware side of the headunit.
I remember seeing the setting for the auto start / nav button. Thanks for the info!!
SC328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #65
SC328i

My Ride: 03 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Turn off overview in the settings
There are a few "settings" in the different menus. The only one I saw with overview on it was the 3D/2D overview. I selected or un selected everyone I saw, nothing seemed to stop the changing view.
SC328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #66
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC328i View Post
I remember seeing the setting for the auto start / nav button. Thanks for the info!!
where?

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #67
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhdez View Post
where?
Press the NAVI button at the bottom right of the Dynavin, then choose Setup/Navigate Setup, then check to start automatically
Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #68
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Yep that's a very good resource for maps
Here's some links to sites with lots of info and downloads (you'll need to register for free to gain access to downloads)......

http://fixmygps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17
http://www.mobilepassion.org/viewfor...2db1aa99839eaf
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/foru...GO-GPS-Systems
http://www.austech.info/gps/ (Australian site but still useful)
Thanks for those links. A few hours of reading and I feel a little smarter about iGo.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #69
440films

I'm having a bit of an issue with the sound dropping out while in navigation mute. I get short audio drop outs when the voice directions or other navigation beeps and audio would normally be. This is when I have the audio muted in the main screen on the little speaker icon in the diMkaWA skin.

Below is how my sys.txt is written.

[sound]
ding=0
pause_mp3_sooner=1
queue_length=200
mute_os_key=1
maneuver_chimes=0
sound_muted=1
voice_muted=0
wheelsound=1
dynamic_volume_type=0

[tts]
tts_buffer=131072
announce_exit_directions=1
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_name=1
announce_street_name=1
skip_exit_numbers=0

Thoughts?

Last edited by 440films; 11-15-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #70
Darkoz

Primo TTS Nuance Voices

A member recently requested a write up of getting TTS (Text To Speech, which pronounce street names during navigation) voices working on Primo 1.1.
There are two different types of TTS voices for Primo, one is Loquendo and the other is Nuance.
I prefer the Nuance TTS voices since they sound more natural and consume less memory which is good since the Dynavin unit has only 64MB of memory.

Firstly you need to download the Nuance TTS voices, there are three different English voices available (I personally prefer the Great Britain, Holly voice).........
Australian - Karen
Great Britain - Holly
US - Samantha

Download Australian - Karen (Nuance TTS_AU.zip) and Great Britain - Holly (Nuance TTS_UK.zip)
here.......
http://fixmygps.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1244

And download US - Samantha (MobileNavigatorTTSNuance-English.rar) here (password to open this downloaded file = MOBILEPASSION.ORG)
http://www.fileserve.com/file/XRgyQ3...ce-English.rar

Once you've downloaded the files you need to extract them to a folder on your computer using Winrar or Winzip.
Now you can copy the files to your Primo folder, so for instance using Karen AU as an example, the following folder and file structure should be like this (folders are in bold text).........

Primo\
vautov5.dll

Primo\tts_nua_v5\common\speech\components\
pp.dat

Primo\tts_nua_v5\ena\speech\components\
apdb_Karen_NNG.dat
apdb-cs_Karen_NNG_f22.dat
depes_ena.dat
depes_ena_Karen.dat
phonmap_ena_Karen.dat
sapi5_conv_ena.dat
synth_Karen_dri40_vssq5_f22.dat
sysdct_ena_cfg2.dat
tokentn_ena.dat
uselect_Karen_dri40.dat

Primo\tts_nua_v5\ena\speech\vautov5\
vauto_pipeline_ena_karen_22_dri40_vssq5f22.hdr
vauto_sapi5_phonmap_ena.hdr

Primo\Content\Voice\
Voice_TTS-nua-Eng-au-Karen V1.1.zip

That's it, now you just choose the TTS voice you want in the Primo settings.
Note that when you choose a TTS voice the confirmation test sound takes a little longer than the regular non TTS voices.

On a side note, for a bit of fun and to impress your friends, (or make them think you're a complete knob) you can edit the Nuance TTS voice to say your name when you are over the speed limit.
Go to your main Primo folder then go to the content\voice folder
Then double click on one of the Nuance TTS voice .zip files, I use Winrar to edit .zip or .rar files which I find better and easier than Winzip, when you double click on a zip or rar file with Winrar you're not actually extracting the file (which you don't want to do here), you're just opening it to edit it.

Now that you've opened the Nuance TTS voice zip file (I'm using UK Holly here as an example) you should have this screen......

Now Open the info.ini file by double clicking on it and you will have this.......

I've shown an arrow next to the line that you can edit so the voice will say your name when you are speeding, of course you can type whatever you want in there but keep it short otherwise it may have problems.
So play around with it and see what works, when your finished editing you then need to save the file by choosing File at the top left and then choose Save.
You'll then get a small dialoge box pop up asking if you want to update the archive, choose Yes.

Note that the only downside with TTS voices is that for whatever reason they are not as loud as the regular voices, I found this entry that you can copy into your Primo sys.txt file which increases the voice volume although I haven't tried it myself yet so I can't confirm whether it hepls or not so give it a shot and see if it helps and if it doesn't then just delete it from your sys.txt file.
**EDIT - I can confirm that it certainly does increase the TTS voice volume quite a bit **
[dynamiccompressor]
compressor=1
a0=56806
thrs=24703
ratio=8
gain=12

And that's about it, I've tried to make it a clear and easy step by step 'cause we know some of you are slightly um 'challenged' with this sort of thing
Have fun.

Last edited by Darkoz; 11-16-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #71
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Awesome. Thanks Darko.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #72
TRBOVNM

Also, since I just searched and looked through 25 pages of another thread, here is the link I found for the Primo manual. I haven't tried downloading, so hopefully it is still there. I will try when I get home and in the future if the link doesn't work, someone could pm me and I should be able to email or put it on photobucket or something to be downloaded.

http://uploaded.to/file/llbc52
Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #73
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdbui View Post
I must be doing something wrong, I keep getting an "error: user interface resolution (800x480) is not supported or skin can not be found."
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdbui View Post
got it. had to update the data.zip for one that supported 800x480.
Care to elaborate more. Im getting the same error when trying to load Primo. I have the chip from member 2003_328ci. How do you update the data.zip file?

I currently have the WinCE Patch running with the stock iGo 8. But when I swap mem chips with the Primo it wont run because of the resolution.

Last edited by Flybot; 11-16-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #74
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:

And that's about it, I've tried to make it a clear and easy step by step 'cause we know some of you are slightly um 'challenged' with this sort of thing
Have fun.
Wow... good job Darkoz. It's a very nice and complete write up of the Nuance voices. I wish I would have had this when I was first starting (It would have saved me hours of reading and troubleshooting) but alas, it was not in the cards for me. Regardless, thanks for the write up, I'm sure it'll help anyone who is getting started on the TTS voices.

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #75
440films

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440films View Post
I'm having a bit of an issue with the sound dropping out while in navigation mute. I get short audio drop outs when the voice directions or other navigation beeps and audio would normally be. This is when I have the audio muted in the main screen on the little speaker icon in the diMkaWA skin.

Below is how my sys.txt is written.

[sound]
ding=0
pause_mp3_sooner=1
queue_length=200
mute_os_key=1
maneuver_chimes=0
sound_muted=1
voice_muted=0
wheelsound=1
dynamic_volume_type=0

[tts]
tts_buffer=131072
announce_exit_directions=1
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_name=1
announce_street_name=1
skip_exit_numbers=0

Thoughts?
After muting all sounds except Master and Voice Commands it seems to happen when the entering the freeway and when the different Exits appear on screen as well as when other navigation TTS directions would normally be.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #76
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
A member recently requested a write up of getting TTS (Text To Speech, which pronounce street names during navigation) voices working on Primo 1.1.
Darkoz,

Thanks very much for this! Very clear and with pictures!

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #77
TRBOVNM

Darko,

I ended up getting the Primo from Chase and it works much better than the one I tried putting together. There must have been a file or something missing in what I downloaded. I looked at the sys.text file and it has the dynamiccompressor section in there, but not as much info. He did have some TTS stuff in the program, but it never worked he said and I never tried it. Here is what he has in it

[dynamiccompressor]
compressor=1
ratio=9
gain=9

I was just going to replace it with what you included in your post above. That is corrrect right?

I do have a backup of what I got from Chase. I am changing a copy of it.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #78
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
Darko,

I ended up getting the Primo from Chase and it works much better than the one I tried putting together. There must have been a file or something missing in what I downloaded. I looked at the sys.text file and it has the dynamiccompressor section in there, but not as much info. He did have some TTS stuff in the program, but it never worked he said and I never tried it. Here is what he has in it

[dynamiccompressor]
compressor=1
ratio=9
gain=9

I was just going to replace it with what you included in your post above. That is corrrect right?

I do have a backup of what I got from Chase. I am changing a copy of it.
Yes I've tested the sys.txt entry that I posted which increases the TTS voice volume and it works well.
You'll then need to experiment with the master and navigation voice volume settings in Primo to a level that suits you.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #79
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
Care to elaborate more. Im getting the same error when trying to load Primo. I have the chip from member 2003_328ci. How do you update the data.zip file?

I currently have the WinCE Patch running with the stock iGo 8. But when I swap mem chips with the Primo it wont run because of the resolution.

Yes it looks like you need a Primo data.zip file that supports 800x480 resolution.
You can download it here, assuming you're not a member of this file hosting site so choose slow download (this is for Primo v1.1 only).........
http://www.rapidshare.com/#!download...1115.rar|40516

Just copy the data.zip file to your main Primo folder replacing the existing one.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #80
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
I acquired a copy of Primo earlier, but I think it's a generic one as the sys.txt is, well, empty pretty much.

[device]
type="navon_N480"

That's it!

Assuming what I have is a basic (no frills) version, what is the simplest sys.txt I can get away with for a Dynavin e46?

Thanks.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote