E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
daonlydann

My Ride: 05 330i
Exclamation Power Steering Pump Causes Metal Fillings Contamination and Failure

A couple of days ago, I had posted my experience encountering steering wheel locks when I steer fully to the right, especially when reversing and parking in tight quarters. Only when I steer fully to the right due I encounter the "locks" (heavy resistance and the steering does not automatically return to the middle so I have to manually steer it back)

I took it to the an renowned indy shop in the area. They say that BMW has posted a service bulletin indicating that the old power steering pumps causes metal filling contaminations in the PS system and that I would need to replace everything with the new "updated" pump. This includes the new pump (I assume the LF-30), pressure hose, and the reservoir. (I assume they will replace the other 2 or 3 hoses, not sure if they come in contact with power steering fluid) They say I have to replace the whole system and not the pump only since it has been contaminated with the metal fillings. They wanted $1500 to replace the whole system.

I called 3 different BMW dealers in the area and ask them about the power steering pumps they used. One indicated the LF-30, and the other two said the LF-20. I also noted through searching the forums that the LF-30 will require new pressure hose. Dealer part quoted prices $500 for pump, $289 for pressure hose, $100 for reservoir, wtffffffffffff! PART ONLY

What to do now? Replace at indy, leave as is until fails, diy, if diy what parts to use? I have limited DIY experience, everything is first time. I recently did control arms/bushings with the help of my uncle. And cleaned MAF, power steering flush (baster method) (which is when I had the symptoms right after I did it)

BTW, I have 2005 330i auto with 72K miles.
daonlydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
juliado

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlydann View Post
A couple of days ago, I had posted my experience encountering steering wheel locks when I steer fully to the right, especially when reversing and parking in tight quarters. Only when I steer fully to the right due I encounter the "locks" (heavy resistance and the steering does not automatically return to the middle so I have to manually steer it back)

I took it to the an renowned indy shop in the area. They say that BMW has posted a service bulletin indicating that the old power steering pumps causes metal filling contaminations in the PS system and that I would need to replace everything with the new "updated" pump. This includes the new pump (I assume the LF-30), pressure hose, and the reservoir. (I assume they will replace the other 2 or 3 hoses, not sure if they come in contact with power steering fluid) They say I have to replace the whole system and not the pump only since it has been contaminated with the metal fillings. They wanted $1500 to replace the whole system.

I called 3 different BMW dealers in the area and ask them about the power steering pumps they used. One indicated the LF-30, and the other two said the LF-20. I also noted through searching the forums that the LF-30 will require new pressure hose. Dealer part quoted prices $500 for pump, $289 for pressure hose, $100 for reservoir, wtffffffffffff! PART ONLY

What to do now? Replace at indy, leave as is until fails, diy, if diy what parts to use? I have limited DIY experience, everything is first time. I recently did control arms/bushings with the help of my uncle. And cleaned MAF, power steering flush (baster method) (which is when I had the symptoms right after I did it)

BTW, I have 2005 330i auto with 72K miles.
Ok... So I have a similar problem only that my power steering does not work at all! I have an 01-330i production = November 2000. My ps pressure hose that connects pump to rack is shreded & cost roughly $160 at dealership in Dallas but online have found it for $89. Apparently the early pump (through 11/2000) was faulty and beginning December of 2000 they fixed the problem with the new and improved pump. The old pressure hose has a different connection size than the new pump and do not connect; which is why you need to replace both. If you don't want to buy the whole system then replace the old pump with a brand new same model pump. To my knowledge your 05 should have the newer pump lf 30 regardless! You shouldn't have to buy all new system. Hope this helps
juliado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Subscribed.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
You guys ever gave used parts a thought.

I sell them, and last PS pump I sold was around $85 with all hoses and reservoir would be around $200. That said I dont have any right now, nor am I advertising myself. I'm simply stating that one can buy used parts in excellent condition for a fraction of a new cost.

Check your local scrapper or eBay just make sure you know who to buy from. If you have a little more money you can try the sponsors on this board, thats what they are here for , right? I'm pretty sure if you just PM one of them they'll give you a smoking deal that will make your local Dealer look like an old greedy jew.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
LUK-30's are the newer improved ones with a thicker shaft from my readings. I didn't read this until after a few months of buying my LUK-20. I also had already bought the high pressure line and all the other lines. However, if you were wanting to go the LUK-30 route, you only need to replace the high pressure line since that goes with the pump. If you want to do the other hoses it's up to you.

Here's pics for the two different ones:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=48

For those with the time and patience, you can do it yourself. I never did any extensive mechanic work, but I dived into this E46 with many first time things.

Here is an comprehensive write up on power steering flush:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414455

I have pics and processes on a flush I did without the use of turning on the engine like the original Op's DIY. Mine starts here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=40

and

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=41

and

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=42

I also show all the parts you need to do this flush without the use of turning on the engine. I couldn't since mine was all torn apart.

Undoing the hoses and also reconnecting new ones are pretty easy. Just make sure to follow torque spec whenever possible. The nut going to the pump is hard though...I did it by feel and apparently it's a bit overtorqued since the O-ring is slightly failing to hold it all back. I fixed it with some universal compound silicone for now.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
daonlydann

My Ride: 05 330i
I ended up replacing the pump with the Luk-30 and all power steering hoses + reservoir. It ended up costing me about $700 on autohausaz.

The locks have disappeared but i feel steering is still quite heavy at slow speeds, but i think thats the way its suppose to be.
daonlydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
nineironkitty

My Ride: 2002 330cic
Hmmmph! My 2002 330cic has the LUK30 and it did not solve the problem! I also have metal shavings in my fluid. Luckily I already have everything else right and just need the ps pump. What I'd like to know is why BMW is not just replacing them for FREE? This is a major safety issue...they should stop making the small parts crap (like all the plastic crap that breaks) and stop nickel and diming their customers to death!
nineironkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineironkitty View Post
What I'd like to know is why BMW is not just replacing them for FREE? This is a major safety issue...they should stop making the small parts crap (like all the plastic crap that breaks) and stop nickel and diming their customers to death!
Job security...built-in flaws to guarantee continuing customers, but let me not mention extremely proprietary designs instead of going with standards. Sad but sometimes it is true. Sure, one can argue that they have to achieve 50/50 somehow but at the expense of plastic; however, that is such a cop out.

The price tag of buying replacement parts that are engineered better and also to fix the all the flaws of the E46 has been a costly battle.

I guess they sucker us all into the ultimate driving experience and we just all have a love/hate relationship with BMW.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I have no hate relationship with BMW. Maybe this explains why they only put good parts on my car from the factory.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
I have no hate relationship with BMW. Maybe this explains why they only put good parts on my car from the factory.
They put those lifetime parts for you, eh?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
juliado

My Ride: 2001 330i
Anyone know where I can get the pressure hose for the luk-20 for less the $88.95? I found it in the junk yard but the guy wants $75 for it
juliado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
going on my second pump tomorrow. Those metals pieces seem to come from the propeller inside the pump. And yes I took the pump apart to verify.
The mistake I made replacing the pump the first time around was I didn't thoroughly flush the system cause man that fluid looks like diahrea
The broken propeller blade(s) get caught up on the propeller, causing it to lock up and snap the shaft
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
genuity

^are you going with an LUF-20 or LUF-30? Supposedly the 20's have a weak shaft.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Lf-30 and will be flushing the system with the old pump in then ill put the new one in after fresh fluid
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Lf-30 and will be flushing the system with the old pump in then ill put the new one in after fresh fluid
This is the same method I used prior to changing mine out. If purchased new, there is usually a warning by the manufacturer that they will void warranty if not flushed. I'd rather flush before replacing since I don't want all that crap to get caught up in the new one
Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
WBVenom

My Ride: Car 54
Don't forget that the LF-30 is a higher-pressure pump than the LF-20. It is not just a matter of pump shaft strength. This means reduced steering effort with the LF-30, which may or may not be a good thing. Many customers of cars with the LF-30 complained about this sometime ago, and BMW offered to put LF-20s in their cars to fix the "problem."

So if you are swapping to the LF-30, be prepared for a decreased feeling of connection with the road.
WBVenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lf 20, lf-30, power, pump, steering