E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #41
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
noob!

u get flats like weekly and you never spot that.
lol.

I actually need a jack, i'm rockin a jack from an e-36.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #42
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
Do you have a picture? I stripped my trunk completely once and didn't see a wheel chock.
here you go...

it's official and in the owner's manual!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #43
Rocko123

My Ride: E92 335i
it doesnt feel like an outdated car and exterior and interior is hella fresh STILL

Rocko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #44
carlos916

My Ride: 08 328 / 05 Raven R6
Send a message via AIM to carlos916 Send a message via Yahoo to carlos916
The Wedge stikes again!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #45
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
It's a BMW not a DELL!

never heard of that.

What is cool to me is that our cars originally cost the first owners some serious coin:
Mine was like 42,500

yea %61 depreciation!

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #46
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
1. When the temperature drops below 37 F degrees, the car beeps to let you know to watch out for icy roads. Also, the rear defroster comes on.
2. You can read the odometer with the car off; all you have to do is press the needle on the left.
3. When car is off, hit the volume knob on the radio the radio turns on (it only works with 02 decks)
4. There is a "secret" compartment underneath my car's armrest and a Coin box in center console.
5. There is a trunk release right above the hood release (not on all cars)
6. There is an exterior trunk release above the license plate and under the ledge.
7. There is flashlight in the glove box.
8. There are amber lights that shine on the center console.
9. You can change radio station on the steering wheel by holding up/down button longer to scan to next station rather than preset ones.
Interior lights can be turn off when you open/close door or shut the engine down.
10. The two knobs on the center control panel are to reset the short trip mileage and the other one is for changing the time on the clock and changing the time from army time (24 hour time) to normal time. And you could also switch the temperature display both on the dash and on the climate control between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
11. You may be able to auto-roll down of windows from the remote control. Another way is to put the key in the door handle and turn to the unlock position and hold it there. This will also open and close the moon roof or put a convertible top down.
12. If you push the unlock button on the remote once it will unlock the driver door, for '02s if you push the unlock button on the remote twice it will unlock all the doors...then once all that is done.... push and hold the unlock button on the remote the windows will start to roll down... then the sunroof will open too.
13. If you hit the 'counter reset button' with the ignition in position 2 (or very quickly when you start your car), then it will show you when you are due to change your brake fluid!
14. There is also a first aid kit under the passengers seat.
15. There is a compartment by your leg when you are in the drivers seat. The compartment is on your left if in a LHD, and on your right if in RHD (located next to your knee).
16. The safety strip along each window and sunroof that detects obstructions and retracts them. (Along with a timer that prevents the motors from burning out if in use too long).
17. The OEM side mirrors are designed with slats and ridges to reduce wind noise.
18. The airbag system is 2 stage deployable depending on if the seat belts are latched. If there is no passenger, that front airbag wont even go off to save repair costs. (Along with the explosive seatbelt tensioners).
19. The radio, sunroof, and other "ignition" triggered accessories are available for a period of time after the car is turned off until a door is opened.
20. The fact that the car goes into "sleep" mode after 16 minutes of inactivity to reduce battery drain and eliminate dead batteries from "left on" accessories (lights, etc).
21. The suspension is designed to limit body dive under hard braking, instead the entire chassis dives evenly for stability.
22. The A/C compressor has a variable displacement thrust plate to eliminate the shock load of compressor cycling and use varies depending on need and load.
23. Flashing the high beams after ignition is turned off will leave the headlamps on for a preset amount of time for security while parking the vehicle.
24. The Keyless Entry system utilizes antennae in the rear window, change key codes every time, will deactivate keys if a key is pressed too many times without response from the car, the key recharges while in the ignition switch, and they store all sorts of presets, from seat positions to IHKA control settings.
25. The radio remembers the settings separate for each input. (E.g., CD input can have the bass/treble/balance/fade settings different from the F.M. radio)
26. Left Side Mirror will tilt in reverse (check to make sure your mirror selection switch is in center or left position to use this feature)
Door locks that engage when you go 8 Miles per hour (Dealer need to turn this feature on).
27. As some of you may know, the BMW On-Board Computer (OBC) holds more functions than is documented, including a very nice instrument panel test. I managed to get a lot of this information from the web, but it was far from complete. Subsequently I asked my dealer for the missing info, but they could not provide the complete list either. Following is a list for the items I could find, they work in my car (E46 323i). I gather most of them also work in the E36 models. Who can tell what the missing entries represent (especially functions
9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 which are very mysterious)?

Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s

BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
Example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9 Battery
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v
9.1 242013+?
9.2 074_78+?
9.3 0011+?
10 Not used
11 Not used
12 Not used
13 GonG Gong Test
14 Not used
15 Status cluster I/O-ports (bit codes) 0=low; 1=high
1st-belt contact, seat belt fastened=0; 2) ignition lock contact, key inserted=0; 3) door contact, door open=0; 4) clock button pressed=0; 5) SI reset=0, for reset=0; 6) EGS transmission failure=0
Status Digital Outputs (bits) 0=inactive, 1=active
1) Gong output; 2) Brake warning lamp; 3) Low fuel warning lamp; 4) EGA lamp; 5) seat belt lamp; 6) manipulation dot
16 Not used
17 Not used
18 Not used
19 Lock Status; unlocks functions in range 3-18
19.0 L-On/L-Off Unlock: press button when "L-Off"
20 Not used
21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
00 End of test

28. Put your turn signal either on the left or right position, with no key in the ignition, close the door and walk away. What you will see is the front blinker, and rear turn signal stay lit. From what I read, it's supposed to be a feature to for people to see your car when it's parked at night in those really tight streets in Europe. This way no one accidentally drives into your car.
29. If you look on your roof, there will be two flaps on each side that are plastic and body colors. You can remove them and there is a little hole in each one that accepts the BMW Roof Rack.
30. Hold down the PTY button (this works, to my knowledge, on cars w/nav) and you will turn on AUTOPTY--it'll display the type of music station if the data is present. I think this works for RDS too.... that way, you don't have to keep pressing it when you switch to radio or change stations etc.
31. Change the Speed Sensitive Volume Ratio - E46 Business CD Head Unit:
Turn the radio off then on again. Don't touch any button except the 'm' button - the button you use to tune the radio frequency manually. Press and hold the 'm' button for TEN seconds or until the display changes. It will then show the serial number of the unit. Normally when you press 'm', the display will reflect that by replacing 'ST' (stereo tuning) with 'm'. When holding the 'm' button for this procedure, the display should not do this - you will continue to see 'ST' for the ten seconds. Now if the display has changed, you are in a configure mode on the radio. If you press the '>' or '<' button you change modes. The mode you want will display as "GAL (1-6)". This mode allows you to adjust the speed-sensitive volume control. Use the radio preset buttons 1-6 to set the amount of volume change you want at speed. Setting 1 is the smallest change, 6 is the highest. I use 1 with the windows closed, and 5 when it's a nice enough day to drive with the windows open, which makes for a lot of ambient noise at speed. The car is so quiet with the windows closed that setting 1 is fine. Then turn the radio OFF to save the settings. Turn it back on; go for a drive to test it. The other semi-useful test mode will tell you the signal strength of any given station from 0 to 15 (highest). Use the preset buttons to change stations in the mode. This capability is probably used in the automatic tuning function in the radio.
32. The multiple 'auto heater/AC combinations at start-up' memory options are nifty.
33. If you want to leave your windows down but have the alarm set, but not have to worry about the motion detector go off, you can arm you alarm by hitting the lock button, and then wait a second and hit the button again. You'll see the clown nose light up for a second, which means the motion detector is deactivated
34. If you flicker your high beams when the car is off, your xenons go on for 30 seconds to give u a lighted path to walk
35. If you have auto wipers, the headlights go on when the wipers activate, if on auto.
36. Where the spare tire is, next to the portable jack there is a wheel chock!!
37. In Euro delivery cars, there is a warning triangle in a blue plastic case that bolts to the left rear of the trunk and a first aid kit under the passenger seat.
38. Apparently "there's a cheat code in the software running the BMW M3's sequential manual gearbox (SMG). Press the right buttons in the right order and the car will launch you from a stop after revving the engine to 5,000 rpm". "But there is a catch. In Europe, where the feature isn't so hush-hush, doing more than 15 launches voids the car's warranty. Federal laws prohibit such stipulations here, so BMW has turned down the which. US-spec cars are programmed to wind to only 2,500 rpm. That's why you have to ask your dealer to install the European software. Most will happily oblige"

"For lucky drivers of this hot car, here's how: Switch of the stability system and select shift program six. Switch the engine to sport mode. With the hand shifter in drive, hold it in the downshift position and press the has pedal. The engine will rev to the preprogrammed rpm and hold. Now release the shifter. The car will launch forward violently and the engine's revs will climb quickly, so be prepared to up shift"
39. When you have your wipers on fast and medium (don't know what you call it) Anyways if you come to a stop it'll go to intermittent
40. Want to know your odometer reading but no key... no problem. Just press the computer toggle button at the end of the turn signal lever. The computer read-out lights up with the odometer reading.
41. Everyone knows that the screwdriver in the tool kit is reversible.
42. When windshield wipers are going, and the a/c is on, regardless of the temp, warm air is coming out of the windshield defrost vent.
43. Holding down the DSC button to completely turn it off

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #47
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
i wish they had a aftermarket upgrade for the flashlight, like an led one or something
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #48
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Does anyone's horn beep when you lock the car because i would like mine to do that.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #49
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
Does anyone's horn beep when you lock the car because i would like mine to do that.
you mean the "car alarm"

If you didn't install one or pay to get it to do that
then you don't have one. BMW is not charitable at
all when it comes to extra frills.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #50
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
The iBus is cool. The display of text and car info it's capable of. MP3 song titles is the tip of the iceberg. Kind of good to see the Dynavin come along to tap into it, 12 years into the design life.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #51
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Kind of good to see the Dynavin come along to tap into it, 12 years into the design life.

+1.

Dynavin has been a great and noteworthy addition to the E46.

What is iBus? I hear that term get thrown around alot. Never really understood the relation to the BMW E46.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #52
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post

1. When the temperature drops below 37 F degrees, the car beeps to let you know to watch out for icy roads. Also, the rear defroster comes on.

13. If you hit the 'counter reset button' with the ignition in position 2 (or very quickly when you start your car), then it will show you when you are due to change your brake fluid!
14. There is also a first aid kit under the passengers seat.
^^
(1.) mine only beebs but the rear defroster doesnt come on!
(13.) have to try that.
(14.) no first aid for me
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #53
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
you mean the "car alarm"

If you didn't install one or pay to get it to do that
then you don't have one. BMW is not charitable at
all when it comes to extra frills.

Mine only beeps. I think its a dealer setting to change between beep and siren.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #54
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
My quad projectors D
Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #55
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Mine only beeps. I think its a dealer setting to change between beep and siren.

yeah Terrarphantm who programmed my car said that the facelift BMW E46s after 3/2003 beeps like a computerized beeping whiles the prefacelift cars chirp.

IDK either.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #56
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
Quote:
What is iBus? I hear that term get thrown around alot. Never really understood the relation to the BMW E46.
The I-bus is the data bus that the components in the car use to communicate. It is used by the radio, nav, phone, ihka, steering wheel buttons, etc.
On page 600-5 of the Bentley manual there is a diagram of the Ibus, although they label it the Kbus.
The Ibus wires in my car are all white, redstripe W/ yellow hash marks on the wire.

And that's whats cool about my E46!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #57
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
To clarify on my last post here is an example of data that is on the ibus.

The insterment cluster sends current speed to the radio on the ibus.
the steering wheel buttons also send their data to the radio as well.
When you unlock the car, the GM5 sends a command to the LCM to turn on the dome lights.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #58
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
To clarify on my last post here is an example of data that is on the ibus.

The insterment cluster sends current speed to the radio on the ibus.
the steering wheel buttons also send their data to the radio as well.
When you unlock the car, the GM5 sends a command to the LCM to turn on the dome lights.
Is this why whenever I take apart the steering wheel the steering wheel buttons seem to all run on like 2 wires going into the car?

I mean all 6 buttons for music/bluetooth and 4 for the Cruise control all seem to run into the car via like 2 wires.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #59
sunny

"5)The clown nose under the mirror is the adjuster for night time diving"

It is for the alarm (if you install one from the dealer as an accessory) and not for night time driving
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #60
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Is this why whenever I take apart the steering wheel the steering wheel buttons seem to all run on like 2 wires going into the car?

I mean all 6 buttons for music/bluetooth and 4 for the Cruise control all seem to run into the car via like 2 wires.
The iBus can accept info from various sources like sensors, steering wheel buttons, radio, cluster, cruise, displays, OBC, etc by treating all these like clients on ring type network. Each is connected to those 2 wires with the iBus handling the network traffic.
Without the iBus, the wiring to pull off the functionality would be massive.

Last edited by xi_ter; 11-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, cool, e46, features, hidden