E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
G328

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
SIMPLE QUESTION - 2000 328i - Gas Tank Cap

Ok guys, so here is the deal... I am new to this forum and to the Bimmer world

Just bought a 2000 328i a week ago and the stupid service engine soon light came on yesterday... I want to go with the cheapest solution... buying a brand new OEM gas tank cap... but I would like to kind of know mine is not working properly...

So the question is, when you guys tighten up the gas tank cap... how many "clicks" you hear? - With mine, I kinda have to tighten it up using more than regular strength and it barely clicks just on time... I would even say its like "half click"...

Thanks for your time and I hope anybody can tell me how many clicks you get and if you have to really tighten it up hard to make it click....
G328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
TitaniumSedan

My Ride: is my portfolio
Just one click for me. Go to autozone or similar and have them scan the codes for you (for free). Then search these forums for the code and get to work.

TiAg, Grey/Black Interior, HK, ZSP/ZPP/ZCW, 5MT
Carbon Fiber Trim (DIY), M68 Wheels, LED AE's, Interior LED's
Smoked Depo's all around w/ stealth bulbs, Black Grill,
35% Tint, BMW Perf CF Strut Bar

My 3D Design Portfolio: briansteere.carbonmade.com

My YouTube channel - Cars and Guns
TitaniumSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Why are you replacing the gas cap? Did you get a code to indicate an Evaporative Emission System fault?

There are literally a thousand and one reasons for the Check Engine light to come on. Going to the store and buying parts in hopes of hitting the right one is a poor troubleshooting technique. You really should buy an OBD II Scan Tool to pull the codes so you know which parts to put into your shopping basket.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Why are you replacing the gas cap? Did you get a code to indicate an Evaporative Emission System fault?

There are literally a thousand and one reasons for the Check Engine light to come on. Going to the store and buying parts in hopes of hitting the right one is a very expensive troubleshooting technique. You really should buy an OBD II Scan Tool to pull the codes so you know which parts to put into your shopping basket.
Fixed,

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
G328

The code I got is p0442
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Eliott's-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G328 View Post
The code I got is p0442
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
G328

Yep, thanks.. That's why I want to replace the cap first to see if that's the problem, if not then I'll just take it to the BMW dealer and have them inspect it
Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
I have the same car and had the same problem. Replace the cap. If that doesnt work check the fuel expansion tank and charcoal canister and connecting hoses. My problem was the spout on the lower side of the exp tank.(near the gas fill nozzle) had a crack in it. Good luck.

Also, any issues filling up at the pump? Do you top it off? I noticed gas leaking out of my car only when topping off. The gas was leaking out of said crack.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
G328

Quote:

There are literally a thousand and one reasons for the Check Engine light to come on. Going to the store and buying parts in hopes of hitting the right one is a poor troubleshooting technique. You really should buy an OBD II Scan Tool to pull the codes so you know which parts to put into your shopping basket.
Hey I think my poor troubleshooting technique worked. I just got a gas cap and as soon as I started the engine the light went off.

So my advice to you guys is to go to auto zone instead of getting a scanner and they will let you know what's going on and start from there

Thank you all for your replies!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by G328 View Post
Hey I think my poor troubleshooting technique worked. I just got a gas cap and as soon as I started the engine the light went off.

So my advice to you guys is to go to auto zone instead of getting a scanner and they will let you know what's going on and start from there

Thank you all for your replies!
Go ahead and buy a scanner. This is not, repeat not the only time you will see the dreaded SES light.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Eliott's-BMW

As long as you can get the codes from the ECU is fine, but some autozone stores will not clear the codes (some will not go away until the ECU is reset) so it may be better just to get a scanner. Also you had the code before your first post and that's how you suspected the gas cap right?

Last edited by Eliott's-BMW; 11-27-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
G328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliott's-BMW View Post
As long as you can get the codes from the ECU is fine, but some autozone stores will not clear the codes (some will not go away until the ECU is reset) so it may be better just to get a scanner. Also you had the code before your first post and that's how you suspected the gas cap right?
Yes before posting I went to autozone and they told me what code it was but they said they can't reset it because it's against the law. After replacing the cap it went away after starting the engine. I'd like to get a scanner just in case, which one you recommend ? They have scanners that go from 59 up to 300... I don't mind if it doesn't specify what the code means ( i'll google that) but I just want something that works with my car and maybe any other car
Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The OBD II specification says that the scan tool you get for your car MUST work on any 1996 production or later vehicle sold in the USA. The scan tool for your BMW will work on your Mom's Chevy, if the Chevy is a 1996 or later model year. It will work on anything starting from the 1996 model year.

The data port for the OBD II scan tool is located along the bottom of the dashboard in the area of the driver's legs. Typically the port is located generally over the clutch pedal area (whether or not there is a clutch pedal), but I found a Suzuki that had the data port on the driver's side of the center console, about over the gas pedal. I've heard that Acura cars might have the data port behind the ashtray.

The Scan Tool will accept any of the data schemes -- there are different ways to present the data, and the tool has to be able to accomodate each of the ways. The data port is a standardized size and shape so the connector from any scan tool will fit any car.

I don't think the average Joe like you and I should need a $300 scan tool, but I encourage you to get more than a $50 scan tool. My scanner ran about $150, and it tells me most of what I need to fix my car. I was getting some strange readings that I didn't have enough information to confirm, but it turns out that what I though was the problem turned out to be correct so I did have the information I was looking for. I'd suggest without reservation that you should have a scan tool that ran from $120 to $150. Spend more if you want, spend less at your peril.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
G328

Quote:
The OBD II specification says that the scan tool you get for your car MUST work on any 1996 production or later vehicle sold in the USA. The scan tool for your BMW will work on your Mom's Chevy, if the Chevy is a 1996 or later model year. It will work on anything starting from the 1996 model year.

The data port for the OBD II scan tool is located along the bottom of the dashboard in the area of the driver's legs. Typically the port is located generally over the clutch pedal area (whether or not there is a clutch pedal), but I found a Suzuki that had the data port on the driver's side of the center console, about over the gas pedal. I've heard that Acura cars might have the data port behind the ashtray.

The Scan Tool will accept any of the data schemes -- there are different ways to present the data, and the tool has to be able to accomodate each of the ways. The data port is a standardized size and shape so the connector from any scan tool will fit any car.

I don't think the average Joe like you and I should need a $300 scan tool, but I encourage you to get more than a $50 scan tool. My scanner ran about $150, and it tells me most of what I need to fix my car. I was getting some strange readings that I didn't have enough information to confirm, but it turns out that what I though was the problem turned out to be correct so I did have the information I was looking for. I'd suggest without reservation that you should have a scan tool that ran from $120 to $150. Spend more if you want, spend less at your peril.
Thank you very much for your help. I will consider your advice!

Tags
2000, 328i, cap, gas, tank