E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
BimmermanE46

My Ride: M3 E46
Brake question

Hey guys, the light to change my brakes just lit up on my 02 m3 and I wanted some advice on what to do. I was initially planning on only changing just my front break pads but the mechanic said it's typical to change everything ie: rotors sensor and pads. He quoted me $671 for everything(front). I have 80k miles on my car and my question is.. Is it necessary to change the the rotors? Is it typical not to change the rotors and just the pads and sensors. He quoted me 260 with labor for this. Any advice would help. Thanks guys
BimmermanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Typical to change everything?!? If rotors are above minimal thickness, no need to change them. If brake pad sensor is still working (i.e. your rear one) then no need to replace it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Chris__B

My Ride: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmermanE46 View Post
Hey guys, the light to change my brakes just lit up on my 02 m3 and I wanted some advice on what to do. I was initially planning on only changing just my front break pads but the mechanic said it's typical to change everything ie: rotors sensor and pads. He quoted me $671 for everything(front). I have 80k miles on my car and my question is.. Is it necessary to change the the rotors? Is it typical not to change the rotors and just the pads and sensors. He quoted me 260 with labor for this. Any advice would help. Thanks guys
It would depend on the surface condition of the front rotors. Minimum thickness is only one of the parameters. If they are heavily grooved, resurfacing them may not be the best option. Rather, replace them.

If they are generally smooth and have plenty of life left, it is usually best to lightly resurface them to give the new pads a fresh start -- as well as dramatically reduce the chance of the new pads squealing. Yes, you technically can just run the new pads over the old rotors without resurfacing them (if the pads are the same compound), but the better shops won't offer that as the come-backs are much higher. They would rather do the job once and send you on your way than hear you complain at the counter in front of others as to why you aren't happy with their work.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
BimmermanE46

My Ride: M3 E46
Brake sensor?

How do i know if I should replace the sensor as well?
BimmermanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmermanE46 View Post
How do i know if I should replace the sensor as well?
you change the sensors everytime you change brakes. Besides there are only two, one in the rear and one in the front
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
Get the sensors you'll need them.

What brand full brake replacement parts is the shop providing? Stoptech Stage kits have always been a really popular choice!

BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote