E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #41
The Thomas J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 531
My Ride: 2002 325Cic
How did you get into this field. I've always been intrested in it, & in the past had given some thought to get into it but never really knew how. I also have been making a pretty good living in the Trucking industry. I have 18 years in the Trucking & frieght forwarding industry & currently own a small trucking company, but with the economy the way it has been the past couple of years new CSA regulations & another reduction in driver HOS, not to mention sky rocketing fuel, maintence, tolls & a decline in over all rates, i'm thinking I need to prepare for life after trucking.

Could you provide me with some guidance. I'm in NYC & I would enjoy field work as i'm used to being on the road for most of my day every day.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #42
Andy2108
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,037
My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Is it possible to claim stone chips on your hood under comprehensive? What about bent or cracked wheels?
And door dings?

I wish..
__________________


De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #43
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Is it possible to claim stone chips on your hood under comprehensive? What about bent or cracked wheels?
yes, it is. Remember though, that each separate rock chip is considered an "incident" and would require a deductible. Unless, say, you were driving behind a gravel truck that dropped a whole bunch of crap onto you. If you bend a wheel by hitting a pothole, yes that could also be claimed.

For an aftermarket wheel, though, you'd have to check with your insurance company and state to see what their coverage of aftermarket parts is. Some states and companies require an additional rider on your policy for any customization. I know in Virginia, we'll cover up to $1000 of aftermarket parts on the basic policy. After that, you need to let us know about them, and we'll adjust the policy from there to cover the aftermarket parts.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #44
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
And door dings?

I wish..
yes, door dings are also covered, but would be considered collision, since ostensibly, another car hit you. Some states do reduced deductible for "uninsured motorist" accidents. In Virginia, if somebody hits you in a parking lot and drives off, you can claim that as uninsured motorist, and you get coverage under a $200 deductible.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #45
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
How did you get into this field. I've always been intrested in it, & in the past had given some thought to get into it but never really knew how. I also have been making a pretty good living in the Trucking industry. I have 18 years in the Trucking & frieght forwarding industry & currently own a small trucking company, but with the economy the way it has been the past couple of years new CSA regulations & another reduction in driver HOS, not to mention sky rocketing fuel, maintence, tolls & a decline in over all rates, i'm thinking I need to prepare for life after trucking.

Could you provide me with some guidance. I'm in NYC & I would enjoy field work as i'm used to being on the road for most of my day every day.
Just check out the company websites. I had a friend that worked for my company and suggested I apply. I filled out the application on the website, had a couple interviews, then I was in. I did three months of paid training, one at our regional HQ in Virginia Beach, one at our national training center in Northern Virginia, and then a final month at VA Beach again.

After that, I worked in our drive-in center, then moved to a shop of my own. I did some field work for a while as well, but I really enjoyed working in the direct repair shop. It gave me a lot more control over the quality of the repair and I had a much more direct impact on my own metrics.

But yeah, just go to the websites for the different companies, State Farm, GEICO, Progressive, Allstate, etc. Even your local smaller companies. They all should have a "careers" or "jobs" tab on there somewhere.

Did I go through college thinking "Man, I really want to be an insurance adjuster" though? No, definitely not. But I do enjoy the work for the most part.

Having the mechanical knowledge is only half the game, though. We used to hire people based on having automotive experience, but learned that they tend to suck on the customer service side. Now we hire people that are good on the customer service side already, because it's easy to teach the parts of a car.
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 11-21-2010 at 01:24 AM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #46
Marcus-SanDiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 515
My Ride: 2008 X5
Nova, great thread. Subscribed.
Marcus-SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #47
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
ask away
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 AM   #48
Andy2108
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,037
My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Can I make the school pay for my door dings cause the security guard made all of us stop parking on the 100% legal unmarked curb and stat parking in the lot? Its a private highschool and I now have two new paint deep dings on my passanger fender, one from the first day he made me move.

Serious question...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmerapp
__________________


De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #49
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Can I make the school pay for my door dings cause the security guard made all of us stop parking on the 100% legal unmarked curb and stat parking in the lot? Its a private highschool and I now have two new paint deep dings on my passanger fender, one from the first day he made me move.

Serious question...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmerapp
most likely not. It's not the school's fault that you got door dings, it's the fault of the person that dinged your door.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #50
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,103
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Will my insurance go up if I get speeding tickets?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #51
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Will my insurance go up if I get speeding tickets?
maybe, maybe not. Depends on lots of different factors. Number one is how often your company does policy reviews and how they look at speeding tickets. The underwriting department of you insurance company would be able to answer that question.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #52
Avet4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Watertown MA
Posts: 608
My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
Is there any reason to not file a no-fault claim? This includes hit-n-runs in parking lots, potholes, or even vandalism like slashed tire's, stolen rims, stolen stereo, or car getting keyed.

My family thinks the more claims you make the more the insurance company can hold that over your head in the future. They'll say stuff like "it's not worth filing a claim for something so small" even if it's above our deductible.

I think they're worried that eventually if we have a big claim the insurance company will give us a harder time because of many previous small ones.

The way I see it is that if it's not gonna effect my premium it's better to file a claim even if the damage might only be $10 bucks over my deductible.

Last edited by Avet4; 11-29-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #53
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
Is there any reason to not file a no-fault claim? This includes hit-n-runs in parking lots, potholes, or even vandalism like slashed tire's, stolen rims, stolen stereo, or car getting keyed.

My family thinks the more claims you make the more the insurance company can hold that over your head in the future. They'll say stuff like "it's not worth filing a claim for something so small" even if it's above our deductible.

I think they're worried that eventually if we have a big claim the insurance company will give us a harder time because of many previous small ones.
Eh, yes and no... There's no real harm in it, that I know of. I don't deal with underwriting, though, so I don't know if a pure number of claims is going to hurt you or not.

I know that when I write a claim, from the claim number itself I can tell how long you've been a customer and how many claims you've had. But does it impact how I deal with the person? No.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #54
Andy2108
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,037
My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet4 View Post
Is there any reason to not file a no-fault claim? This includes hit-n-runs in parking lots, potholes, or even vandalism like slashed tire's, stolen rims, stolen stereo, or car getting keyed.

My family thinks the more claims you make the more the insurance company can hold that over your head in the future. They'll say stuff like "it's not worth filing a claim for something so small" even if it's above our deductible.

I think they're worried that eventually if we have a big claim the insurance company will give us a harder time because of many previous small ones.

The way I see it is that if it's not gonna effect my premium it's better to file a claim even if the damage might only be $10 bucks over my deductible.
I have a friend who's family is like this. Their insurance has gotten mad at them before for filing so many claims though, to the extent of not covering them in some situations. His mom and sister do ALOT of damage to cars... So I guess its not that surprising.
__________________


De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #55
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
I have a friend who's family is like this. Their insurance has gotten mad at them before for filing so many claims though, to the extent of not covering them in some situations. His mom and sister do ALOT of damage to cars... So I guess its not that surprising.
your insurance company cannot deny a claim simply because it's your XXth claim of the month/year/cycle/whatever. There is a contract that exists between the Insurer and the Insured that states all damage will be covered, except for damage resulting from excluded events. Those excluded events are explictly defined.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #56
DarkM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 135
My Ride: bmw
i don't know if you can answer these questions but here it goes:

if someone is driving and gets hit by another car (lets say ~30mph), how much money does the person who gets hit gets (assuming the person has a good lawyer and the person who hit them has good insurance coverage,etc.)? i've always wondered about situations like that. thanks.

and one more question:
how much do you think the settlement would be for a kid (lets say 8 years old) getting hit by a car and being partially disabled (having a limp) for the rest of his/her life (again assuming the person has a good lawyer and the person who hit them has good insurance coverage)?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
just override the website's BIOS and enter the binary system code to decompile the kernel firewall.

Last edited by DarkM3; 12-01-2010 at 01:37 AM.
DarkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #57
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM3 View Post
i don't know if you can answer this but here it goes:
if someone is driving and gets hit by another car (lets say ~30mph), how much money does the person who gets hit get (assuming the person has a good lawyer and the person who hit them has good insurance coverage,etc.)? i've always wondered about situations like that. thanks.

and one more question:
how much do you think the settlement would be for a kid (lets say 8 years old) getting hit by a car and being paralyzed/disabled for the rest of his life?
those are both questions for a jury to decide, and will vary based on how expensive your lawyer is, and how sympathetic the jury is.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #58
DarkM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 135
My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
those are both questions for a jury to decide, and will vary based on how expensive your lawyer is, and how sympathetic the jury is.
just curious, why would a jury decide that and not the insurance company and lawyer?

and can you just give an estimate or a price range?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
just override the website's BIOS and enter the binary system code to decompile the kernel firewall.
DarkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #59
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,369
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkM3 View Post
just curious, why would a jury decide that and not the insurance company and lawyer?

and can you just give an estimate or a price range?
if it goes to a lawsuit, then a jury would decide. A lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company, though.

No, I can't give an estimate or a price range, I don't deal with bodily injury claims.

As far as your case A goes, the person that got hit is owed for the damage done to their car and person.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #60
DarkM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 135
My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
if it goes to a lawsuit, then a jury would decide. A lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company, though.

No, I can't give an estimate or a price range, I don't deal with bodily injury claims.

As far as your case A goes, the person that got hit is owed for the damage done to their car and person.
alright, thanks for the info!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
just override the website's BIOS and enter the binary system code to decompile the kernel firewall.
DarkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use