E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
lsrholder

My Ride: Turbo Buick
Engine ID problem

My Buddy has purchased a 2000, 63,000 mile - 328Ci engine & 5 speed tranny. Car had been in an accident, but engine/trans. is fine.

Went to RealOEM and ran the vin & carfax also... alls ok, kinda.

RealOEM states engine is a M52 according to the vin number, in an E46 body, with a build date of 9/99. We did some research and it appears all 54 series engines had dual vanos installed, as did the 52 TU engines. This is a single vanos. Conclusion: must be a M52 engine.

Shipper delivered engine and a few days later we started to take her apart. First thing I noticed were the inverted "D" intake ports, then the square exhaust ports

Question is... is this a 52 block, with possibly a 54 head on it, including intake & exhaust components? Intake is drive by wire. I always thought that the 54 series engines had different bore ctrs. and were about 3/4" longer. Very few parts interchange.

Problem is, he has a 52 in his car and now that we've started parts removal, seller won't take it back. This I can understand.

Be gentle, cause this engine is super clean and nice.

Thanks for any/all input................ Alan
lsrholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The 328 motor is a M52 TU (dual vanos) with a throttle cable. The 323 and 328 are pretty much identical except that the 323 is a 2.5l and the 328 is a 2.8l. The 325 and 330 are M54 which have dual vanos and drive by wire. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe take some pics and post them.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
lsrholder

Engine ID problem

Not very good at this. Scanned pictures to computor but now can't copy/paste them to reply. Will keep trying.

I've tripple checked all my info just to make sure I didn't make an error. For once I got it right the first time.

Alan
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
lsrholder

Well pics wouldn't transfer, but it's just as well. Cams & all related parts had been removed by my buddy, as well as some other items.

I helped him remove intake/exhaust mani's and seperated tranny from engine.

Did more research & came up with the same fishy smell. Seems not fish but a swapping of misinformation from my friend.

He's a OTR truck driver so i've just caught up with him. His mistake on vanos unit(S!). He had a friend of a friend whose a BMW mechanic look at engine.

Yep... she's a M54 with dual vanos. Sometimes the learning curve is a little steep... so now we do the 52 to 54 swap. Glad it came with the entire wiring harness & computor assy.

Sorry about taking up forum space on a bogus question, but this is the best place for info IMHO.

Thanks.... now i've got to figure out this picture posting problem.

Alan
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
dco5000

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
M52 head same (identical) to M54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
The 328 motor is a M52 TU (dual vanos) with a throttle cable. The 323 and 328 are pretty much identical except that the 323 is a 2.5l and the 328 is a 2.8l. The 325 and 330 are M54 which have dual vanos and drive by wire. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe take some pics and post them.
Hijacking thread (sort of). My 2000 323cic has cracked head. Salvage supplier shipped a 2004 3.0 X5 head and swears it is 100% interchangeable (sp?) with my head. My mechanic is not as confident.

Impossible to swap without converting other parts, electronics, etc.? Please give me any clues, threads, etc. All are appreciated.
dco5000 is offline   Reply With Quote