E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
sjh2500

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Arrow springs? Wheels? suspension?

hey guys, i was thinking about getting new wheels/ suspension/ springs for my 01 330xi. The reason is because it is all wheel drive, the suspension/springs makes it sits a little higher than other bmws. i was just wondering how much i should lower it/ which springs i shud get to make it more normal or lower than normally. And with which wheels. Also im not trying to break the bank here.
Thanks
sjh2500 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
sjh2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
ATF

My Ride: plows snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh2500 View Post
Also im not trying to break the bank here.
Uhhh what's your budget...?

Nick | BMWCCA 403399 | flickr
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh2500 View Post
The reason is because it is all wheel drive, the suspension/springs makes it sits a little higher than other bmws.
REALLY??? NO way!

To sum up all the other threads on this:

If you want comfort + performance - a little lowering = Eibach springs with Koni shocks/struts.

If you want performance + lowering - comfort = H&R springs with Bilstein shocks/struts

If you have money, just do coil overs.

No matter what you decide, get an alignment after you're done and you might as well replace all the bushings while you're in there.

Don't slam it, it will do quite a number on your front drive train.

Wheels are up to you, don't go staggered as it will give you more understeer.

Good luck.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I have Bilstein HD shocks and struts, with H&R springs, dropped it about 1 to 1.5 inches. Some people like Eibrach springs if you drive on alot of bumpy roads.

All in all I spent less than 500 for the suspension. Check Bavauto.com for the shocks and struts. Bunch of folks on the forum have springs.

I'm also planning on getting 17" rims, 18" will fit but I like the 17's a bit better

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!

Last edited by Capt1014; 12-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I've got a set of H&R Sport springs from my e46 xi sedan, you can see the ride height in my sig.

I have only driven ~15,000 miles on these springs. Send me a PM if you'd like them, I'll set you up!
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I've got a set of H&R Sport springs from my e46 xi sedan, you can see the ride height in my sig.

I have only driven ~15,000 miles on these springs. Send me a PM if you'd like them, I'll set you up!
What rims are those on your ride?

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
He's got M6 Reps on there.

Im sittin on Bilstein Sport Shocks with H&R Sport springs, the drop was around 2". That left a 2 finger gap front and rear with 18in rims on.

If you still want a comfy ride, go with koni yellow w/ Eibach or the dinan stage 1. The drop will not be as much as what i got but it wont be as harsh. I personally dont think the ride is harsh, but others on here want their cars to drive like Cadillacs.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
+1.

In regards to this, I want the stiffest setup I can find. FK konigsports or the HR sport cup kit are possible candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
He's got M6 Reps on there.

Im sittin on Bilstein Sport Shocks with H&R Sport springs, the drop was around 2". That left a 2 finger gap front and rear with 18in rims on.

If you still want a comfy ride, go with koni yellow w/ Eibach or the dinan stage 1. The drop will not be as much as what i got but it wont be as harsh. I personally dont think the ride is harsh, but others on here want their cars to drive like Cadillacs.
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote