E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #41
Fuerza

My Ride: XXX
HP, Thanks for the data. Over the past few days I have been trying to figure out what direction I want to go for the suspension of my car. I first thought of just doing springs and shocks, then a budget coilover, now I'm leaning toward the TCK SA truematch. I'm trying to figure out what I need versus what I want, lol. I definately want a linear spring coilover set. By my understanding the linear spring will give me a bit harsher of a ride but it will be more predictable. I don't track the car but I have opprotunities too and I would like to start. What else would you say is necessary? I was thinking a front sway bar then replacing some bushing and calling it good. What are your thoughts?
Fuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #42
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E36 M3
We sell TC Kline products as well (we actually share an office with TC himself).

The two main advantages of linear springs are that they are more predictable and they decrease body roll in comparison to same rate progressive springs.

I would also add to the list, camber plates (we suggest Vorshlag), check the front control arms, and rear trailing arm bushings. A front sway bar helps as well on this car and Hotchkis is who I would recommend. I personally use their products and the quality vs H&R, Eibach, etc is great plus Hotchkis bars are hollow, therefore lighter.
HP Autowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
Cruzer03

My Ride: 03.5 M3 JB/IR 11.5M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Retail:
Clubsport: $3,595
TC Kline: $2,998
AST 4200: $3,299

At this level it really depends on what you are looking for. All three utilize progressive springs but unlike the others KW does not allow you to pick custom spring rates. With AST and TC you can have them revalved higher, choose custom spring rates and they are easily rebuildable.
Interesting...I can get the Clubsport with the spring rate of MY choice and installed for $2,600.
Cruzer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #44
Fuerza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer03 View Post
Interesting...I can get the Clubsport with the spring rate of MY choice and installed for $2,600.
That is a crazy deal! KW Clubsports generally are over $3k new. Share the wealth??
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #45
Fuerza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We sell TC Kline products as well (we actually share an office with TC himself).

The two main advantages of linear springs are that they are more predictable and they decrease body roll in comparison to same rate progressive springs.

I would also add to the list, camber plates (we suggest Vorshlag), check the front control arms, and rear trailing arm bushings. A front sway bar helps as well on this car and Hotchkis is who I would recommend. I personally use their products and the quality vs H&R, Eibach, etc is great plus Hotchkis bars are hollow, therefore lighter.
Why Vorshlag camber plates? Doesn't TCKline sell their own brand of camber plates?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #46
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
I personally had KW V2's on my old Audi B6 S4 and they blew in 2 months. I didnt want to go through that hassle again so I went with TCK's on my E46 M3 and they are way better built hands down.

Can I get a quote on Hotchkis sways for my car? Also some adjustable front sway bar links. thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #47
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgar View Post
Why Vorshlag camber plates? Doesn't TCKline sell their own brand of camber plates?
I prefer the design of Vorshlags. Don't get me wrong, they are on the same level performance wise but Vorshlags is a little shorter in design because the TC plates are a aluminum and need to be thicker. Also, the Vorshlag uses a larger bearing. You can't go wrong with either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
I personally had KW V2's on my old Audi B6 S4 and they blew in 2 months. I didnt want to go through that hassle again so I went with TCK's on my E46 M3 and they are way better built hands down.

Can I get a quote on Hotchkis sways for my car? Also some adjustable front sway bar links. thanks!
PM Sent.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #48
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

No questions?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #49
ThizzInc

My Ride: G1000 Cessna
I've been told the internal valve design on the KW Clubsports are superior along with JRZ and Motons. Is this really true?
Can KW CS be ordered without their springs, while matched with Swift springs bought separate?

For the past few months I’ve been indecisive with my choice. First I was leaning toward TCK D/A, then KW CS, or try and find a used set of Motons. I need advise to help me decide. So I would appreciate your advice.

Also, do the TCK D/A Koni rears still have the "clunk noise?” I read that Koni updated their design to get rid of this, but im not sure. I know a few people that swapped the D/A rears for S/A rears due to the noise.

Thank You
2009 Yamaha R6 - Akrapovic Full TI - PCV - Öhlins - Graves - CRG
2008 Cessna 182T Turbo - Garmin G1000 Flight Deck
ThizzInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #50
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

From my understanding the KW Clubsport are the same dampers as the KW V3. It is possible to order the KW part by part put it would cost much more than buying a complete kit.

Moton and JZ are on a completely different level than KW and TC Kline.

Yes TC Kline still have a slight clunk but it was better than previously, and only on E36/46 applications. It's due to internal valving, nothing to worry about. KW's are noisy as well, but more of a fluid or air being passed through an orfice type of sound.

I would personally go for TC Kline. I sell KW as well but the availability of springs is much greater with TC Kline and thw quality of ride is better. TC has been in the game for a long time and has produced a damper with Koni that is high quality. If your serious, we can probably work something out so that you can get Swift springs with you TC kit.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #51
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Hows kw2 ride quality compared to pss10s?

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #52
Cruzer03

My Ride: 03.5 M3 JB/IR 11.5M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgar View Post
That is a crazy deal! KW Clubsports generally are over $3k new. Share the wealth??
PM me for more info...
Cruzer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #53
hinrichs

My Ride: 05 M3, 96 Cabrio TDI
Send a message via AIM to hinrichs
what would be good spring rates for most street/agressive driving if I was do the retrofit to my kws?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #54
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

I have driven cars with 448F/616R and that was a good balance. It wasn't harsh but was noticeably stiffer than stock. If you want aggressive, I'd bump up to somewhere around 500F, 650R.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #55
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

Here is an interesting read that one of the e46fanatics forum members wrote: http://vsetrack.com/track_reports/KWCS4.htm
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #56
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Im running KWV2 with and although the ride is great, I do notice the rear losing traction over bumps on turns.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #57
gkatzm3

My Ride: 2008 e92M3 Space/Fox
I just made a thread about KW's... had questions about various owners settings My thoughts... KW were always the solution for someone with a desire to go LOWER than other traditional linear coilovers, while maintaing a streetable ride quality with increased performance. Anyonethat tracks there car... should not have been directed toward a KW progressigve coilover. That being said, they are very good, and I would guarantee better than stock performance in overall performance (grip/handling as determined by my butt-LateralG-diagnostic tool... similar to a butt dyno).

I never intend to track my car, its my daily driver, i wanted increased suspension performance while riding lower, i am very happy with my purchse, as my car has the slammed look i was after that you cant typically get with a linear track based coilover other than like an AST Zero CLearance that "stanceworks" debuted.

because KWs are made/marketed to go lower than other coilover options they utilize a progressive dual/spring set up to achieve that task while maintaining a good ride. If you tried a compress a track based linear coilover system all the way down to the drop of a V2/V3 KW it would typically handle like crap as the spring/coilover system is not made to operate under such short range of motion and constant compression. Please comment if I am wrong? Now the lower you go on KW's as measured in the spring compression test the more the dynamics of the springs/coilover changes.

KW's are for a good drop and spirited back road driving.... not Driver events, autocross, or track days... though i would think my KW's would do great on say a track like VIR... but not as good as a tracked based properly valved/spring rate combo'd linear coilover

I would rank coilovers like this... from STREET DROP based toward TRACK focused

STREET:MEGAN RACING
H&R
FK COILOVERS
TIEN
BILSTEIN
KW
GC
TCK
AST
KW CLUBSPORT
KSPORT
JRZ
MOTON
OHLINS
TRACK:

What i dont feel like was adequately explained is what solution HP Motorwerks has... and how it is executed ....and how much it costs "to get addded performance from myh KWs"...

Please comment... say for e46m3... how much for swifts springs..whats ur recommended spring rate... how much to dis-assemble and re-assemble KW V2/3s... PS i would think doing that would void your lifetime warranty on the KWs...

If anyone local to Columbia, MD has as linear coilover GC/TCK?AST tuned track/street setup on a e46m3... call me/pm me... id love to meet up and do a swap for a spin around the block to compare and contrast.
gkatzm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #58
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
do any of you KW V2 owners have the front spring lenght available? i already know the inside diameter is 61mm, but i can't seem to find the length any where.

edit:
from what i've gathered for KW V2 non-m.

front:
h- 170mm
id- 61mm
rate- 340lbs

rear:
h- 180mm
id- top 89m/bottom 69mm
rate- progressive

can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Devious1; 12-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Devious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #59
PrittyM3

My Ride: E46 M3
subscribed
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #60
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
HP do you know the spring rate of the ST/KW V1 kits for non-m. Im looking for alittle stiffer ride. So my 20's don't punch up my wheel well. 450/500 good combo?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote