E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #21
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Nice choice, definetly a fun car. As for me, since my accident in '08 I need something bigger to protect me. 4 shoulder surgiries & 1 spinal procedure-and they're not done yet...I should be driving a Kenworth...LOL
I worry about that too. Maybe not a good idea to replace one small car with another one. But I can't see myself driving a big car all the time.

Sorry to hear about your accident btw. Sounds like it was pretty bad. What happened (if you don't mind talking bout it)?
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
I hope you don't mind hearing rattles every time you drive the VW.
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
TiAgXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman11 View Post
I hope you don't mind hearing rattles every time you drive the VW.
That for sure is one of the nice things about the e46. 125k miles an not a single rattle or squeak.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I'm not trying to be pretentious. I don't even care about the badge, seriously. The only reason I have my car is because it ended up being $2,500 than the loaded Accord I was looking at. Honestly, IMO, one of the best looking and feeling cars is the new Hyundai Sonata...Living in Minnesota, so long as I only have one vehicle, it does need to be AWD.

My friend has a 2010 Jetta TDI with leather, etc. I don't like it; the seats are too small, uncomfortable and its the little things. For example, when you lock the e46 the lights fade, in the Jetta, it just shuts off...and the buttons, all the freakin buttons! Little touches make the difference and I honestly feel that my friends 2010 Jetta, although 9 years newer than my car, doesn't feel as nice as mine.

The other thing I really look at is cost. Say the xi you have is worth 10k, and you buy a new Golf and its 25k optioned the way you want. Is the Golf really worth the extra $15,000? Are you really getting $15,000 more car?

I'm not sure what I'll be getting when I replace my car, but a used Audi A6/S6 or a Lexus GS350 or a Infiniti M35x or a BMW 535xi/335xi are all contenders. All are big steps up from the XI in terms of luxury and all can be had for ~$20k.

One of my favorite cars I have ever owned was a 1989 Volvo 740 GL Turbo Wagon. A set of Blizzacks and I was happy. The car cost only $1,300.

I just feel as if VW's still feel a bit 'economy' to me. The e46 however, is starting to show its age.
Its funny you mention the buttons.... vw doesn't bother me with that because I don't expect it to be perfect on the inside, but audi kills me for that very same reason.. more buttons than a goddamn f-18 hornet

As for being 15k more... well ya you aren't getting THAT much more car but you are also getting something brand new

Let's not forget.... in all fairness, the r32 is still more than ten grand cheaper than a base model e90 wagon, both new. I'm sure loaded for loaded the 335 wagon can be double the price

At the end of the day, op if you like it, that's all that matters

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using BimmerApp
Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #25
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
^well put! id take the vdub over the a3 any day.. its less expensive, awd, and practically the same car.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #26
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
I worry about that too. Maybe not a good idea to replace one small car with another one. But I can't see myself driving a big car all the time.

Sorry to hear about your accident btw. Sounds like it was pretty bad. What happened (if you don't mind talking bout it)?
Not meaning to hijack this thread-
I had a 2001 A4, and a late model Impala coming in the other direction lost control heading into a curve (that I was in the middle of) T-boned me in the drive side. The impact was so great I got pushed off the road into an embankment. The damage went from the front door all the way to the rear wheels (that got ripped off the frame). the pass side was partially buried in the embankment.
As for me, I had multiple soft tissue tears and bone fragments in my right shoulder. My cervical spine was also affected with herniated discs. Well, I did manage to "walk away" so, I'm thankful for that...

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
I had a 2001 A4, and a late model Impala coming in the other direction lost control heading into a curve (that I was in the middle of) T-boned me in the drive side. The impact was so great I got pushed off the road into an embankment. The damage went from the front door all the way to the rear wheels (that got ripped off the frame). the pass side was partially buried in the embankment.
As for me, I had multiple soft tissue tears and bone fragments in my right shoulder. My cervical spine was also affected with herniated discs. Well, I did manage to "walk away" so, I'm thankful for that...

I've been through a few of those (5 total and only twice as a driver) and walked away as well. Glad you're okay - many people haven't been as fortunate One main reason why I'm the driver anywhere I go 99.99% of the time.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
I'd rather be in a Subaru Legacy.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #29
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
I've been through a few of those (5 total and only twice as a driver) and walked away as well. Glad you're okay - many people haven't been as fortunate One main reason why I'm the driver anywhere I go 99.99% of the time.
Thanks for the good wishes. I still have quite aways to go (2 years so far), but I'll get there.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #30
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
I'm already seriously considering this for my next car whenever that'll be. I love VW's, and an AWD turbo german hatchback would be sweet

Either this, a MKII Audi TT, a used 135i, or facelift E90 will be other possible replacements.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #31
TiAgXi

Quote:

jeez. that's terrible man. good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Its funny you mention the buttons.... vw doesn't bother me with that because I don't expect it to be perfect on the inside, but audi kills me for that very same reason.. more buttons than a goddamn f-18 hornet

As for being 15k more... well ya you aren't getting THAT much more car but you are also getting something brand new

Let's not forget.... in all fairness, the r32 is still more than ten grand cheaper than a base model e90 wagon, both new. I'm sure loaded for loaded the 335 wagon can be double the price

At the end of the day, op if you like it, that's all that matters

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using BimmerApp
I know VW's aren't for everyone but I think the new R might be perfect for me. It's AWD, good looking (imho), practical (there's a ton of space hiding in there!), sporty and fast, fuel efficient (33.2 mpg hwy), and it comes with all the goodies I'm looking for in my next car (leather, sunroof, bixenons, comfortable heated seats, nav, etc.).

Last edited by TiAgXi; 12-12-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
jeez. that's terrible man. good luck with the rest of your recovery.
Thanks, much appreicatred. Intersting note-my insurance actually went down $200/yr from the 01 A4 to the 02 330xi. My insurance co. considers it to have a higher rate of survivability.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #33
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
I think the Golf-R is gonna replace my E46Xi, I'm bored of my car

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
Rhudeboye

My Ride: 968 330i
You cant wait to trade your BMW for a GOLF
Rhudeboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Why even bother posting this. This is the BMW E46 xi forum.

Nobody cares.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #36
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Had a 98 VW jetta vr6 before my 2003 325xi. I loved that car until rotted out. It was a blast to drive. I can't imagine what am r32 would be like. My BMW is superior in almost ever way except the VW got better gas mileage, and was quicker and more nimble if not faster. But a 6 hour drive was an ordeal. It handled great thou id give the win to the 4wd bimmer in that category. For me the bimmer is a different type of car that drives great and is a dream on the highway. As for repair costs well the vr6 stuff was outrageously costly and the BMW parts believe it or not are cheaper on many of the comparable VW parts.
325xittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #37
TiAgXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Why even bother posting this. This is the BMW E46 xi forum.

Nobody cares.
Cuz it's badass, dumbshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
Had a 98 VW jetta vr6 before my 2003 325xi. I loved that car until rotted out. It was a blast to drive. I can't imagine what am r32 would be like. My BMW is superior in almost ever way except the VW got better gas mileage, and was quicker and more nimble if not faster. But a 6 hour drive was an ordeal. It handled great thou id give the win to the 4wd bimmer in that category. For me the bimmer is a different type of car that drives great and is a dream on the highway. As for repair costs well the vr6 stuff was outrageously costly and the BMW parts believe it or not are cheaper on many of the comparable VW parts.
Really? I've always thought the opposite. The cost of BMW parts is one of the things I like least about the car.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
It's a lot of car for the money, but it has a 60/40 weight distribution which is too much push for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #39
TiAgXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
It's a lot of car for the money, but it has a 60/40 weight distribution which is too much push for me.
The r32 had that kind of distribution. the new motor is 200lbs lighter.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #40
Rickna

Do whatever makes you happy.

My_Mods_&_Stuff