E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Phammy Davis

My Ride: Alpine White02 330ci
First install of springs. Does this look right?

Installed some lowering springs today. Only had time to do the front Passenger. I followed the DIYs on here as well as Bimmerdiy.com. I know the perch is a little off but it was straight until i went for a test drive around the block. Is it ok for it to be off? Also does my spring look straight? I really hope I don't have to take it all apart and start all over. That would suck

*Also the small opening goes on the bottom right? Just making sure cause the lettering for my Megan Springs are upside down. I'm just double checking. WOuldn't want anything to go horribly wrong

Photobucket
Photobucket

Will post pics of new ride soon

Last edited by Phammy Davis; 12-12-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Phammy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
IMO, structurally I don't think you have an issue but perhaps the spring is upside down and thats why it didn't seat right? Also, the ride height might be off if the driver's side is seated properly. BTW, I had this same issue with the spring twisting out of the perch...I removed and seated the spring properly. Just have a shop do the spring install onto the strut. (I paid $20 for the side I had them do)

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period

Last edited by Recon2005; 12-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Phammy Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
IMO, structurally I don't think you have an issue but perhaps the spring is upside down and thats why it didn't seat right? Also, the ride height might be off if the driver's side is seated properly. BTW, I had this same issue with the spring twisting out of the perch...I removed and seated the spring properly. Just have a shop do the spring install onto the strut. (I paid $20 for the side I had them do)
I don't think the spring is upside down because the other side doesn't sit on the shock at all. Damn I really don't want to take it all apart again. Anybody else have any insight?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
If the lettering is upside down then obviously the spring is upside down.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Not true. I installed Vogtland springs a few days ago, and the lettering was upside down on the coils.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclip View Post
Not true. I installed Vogtland springs a few days ago, and the lettering was upside down on the coils.
hmm...weird...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Phammy Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Yea I've also heard some people say there tein have been upside down as well. So basically it's the side that sits well on the shock? Cause the other side doesn't sit on the shock well at all. I'm 95% sure I installed the right way but just curious if I will have problems with the perch being a little off.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Recon2005

Was the spring in the perch and then twisted when you reinstalled the top hat? I don't know if it is possible, but you might be able to re-compress the spring while it is still on the car. Its worth a try and if you can relieve the tension you might be able to twist the spring into the perch.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp

Quote:
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Phammy Davis

Quote:
Was the spring in the perch and then twisted when you reinstalled the top hat? I don't know if it is possible, but you might be able to re-compress the spring while it is still on the car. Its worth a try and if you can relieve the tension you might be able to twist the spring into the perch.

No It was seated properly until I took it for a drive around the block

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Recon2005

Kinda weird that it twisted with tension on the assembly. This is probably a silly question, but did you torque it down to proper spec.

Quote:

Last edited by Recon2005; 12-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Phammy Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Yea I read the topic about it and placed it right there but it moved when I went for a test drive. I noticed the OEM spring on the other side is not sitting right there either.

Quote:
Kinda weird that it twisted with tension on the assembly. This is probably a silly question, but did you torque it down to proper spec.
Yes I torqued everything properly

Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Recon2005

I would install the other side and not worry about it. The worst thing you'll have to face is a difference in ride height, but to be candid, my ride height varies between both sides and my springs sit in the perch anyway.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
socalbeast

My Ride: 01 330ci
my oem springs are not sitting right either, but i only saw this a few hours ago while i had the car on jack stands. i saw it wasnt sitting flush.

i wonder why this happens
socalbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbeast View Post
my oem springs are not sitting right either, but i only saw this a few hours ago while i had the car on jack stands. i saw it wasnt sitting flush.

i wonder why this happens
Wheels bounce up and down 1600 times in a mile of driving. As the shocks lose pressure with age/ mileage the movement of the springs gets more exaggerated. After 50,000 the shocks are ending their life and you start to see this shifting over the spring perch.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #16
Phammy Davis

SO I finish installing the fronts. Weird thing though. When I try to torque the 21mm bolt on the very top of the shock/hat the spring turns with the bolt and it won't torque. Is that normal?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
Recon2005

Did you use an allen wrench in conjunction with your socket to tighten down the nut?

Quote:
Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
Phammy Davis

Quote:
Did you use an allen wrench in conjunction with your socket to tighten down the nut?

I just tightened them as much as I could when the shock and spring combo were off my car. Then when I installed everything back I tried to tried to tighten it to the correct torque and all it did was move my spring as I turned it. Should I be worried?
Note: I tried tightening it when everything was completely done and my car was sitting normally not jacked up.

I finished installing my rears today and will upload pics tomorrow. Really nice drop with Megan Springs

Edit: Is it Ok for me to have Koni shocks in the rear and Oem in the front?

Last edited by Phammy Davis; 12-15-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #19
Recon2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phammy Davis View Post
I just tightened them as much as I could when the shock and spring combo were off my car. Then when I installed everything back I tried to tried to tighten it to the correct torque and all it did was move my spring as I turned it. Should I be worried?
Note: I tried tightening it when everything was completely done and my car was sitting normally not jacked up.

I finished installing my rears today and will upload pics tomorrow. Really nice drop with Megan Springs

Edit: Is it Ok for me to have Koni shocks in the rear and Oem in the front?
Unless someone else chimes in, the way I understood how to tighten the nut on the top of the strut assembly was to use a spark plug socket, thread the allen wrench through the opening and then tighten down the nut while holding the allen wrench in place so the assembly would not rotate...IDK, but that's the process I used.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #20
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
That is how it was with e30's but it is not the case with e46. The rubber below is not seating properly though, it's notch should line up with the plate. e46 front springs have an oval section that lines up with the profile of the plate.