E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
lukusidewalker

My Ride: 2000 328i
Turns over, but won't start. Fuel Pump/Relay???

The other night my car was running fine! I tried to start it the next day and it just wouldn't start! Crank yes, but it would not fire! So I checked the #54 fuse and it was blown. I replaced it just to have it blow again. Then my battery went dead. Now I have it charging with the help of a neighbor, but I still need to figure out the problem. Fuel pump/Fuel pump relay....IDK. I am not the best with wrenching on cars, but I can hold my own. Trouble is that I have no experience with this type of problem! Can anyone point me it the direction of a descriptive video or soimething with pictures? Please help...I gotta get back on the road!
lukusidewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
ummm...

what is that #54 for? Aha! Fuel pump. So, obviously, current is being drawn.
I've read of stuck relays before I'am fairly sure...

I'd take it (fuse) out and use a meter and determine, if possible, with help of a wiring schematic, if a short exists back at the pump (under the rear seat-cushion), or between the fuse output-side and relay or etc. etc.
Disconnect all wiring to the pump and look for a short there or in the wiring or whatever. Locate the relay and use the meter to see if contacts are stuck or whatever. Exploded parts drawings at RealOEM.com bmw parts or in your Bentley BMW work manual would indicate.

Might also disconnect the battery negative so as not to confuse the electrical system in general/throw codes, etc.

I see yours is a 2000. Not necessarily your immediate problem but, how about the fuel filter? Might change it sometime...

Last edited by rowdy lee; 05-13-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add
rowdy lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
lukusidewalker

Rowdy...thanks for the reply. But I am very confused! I do not have a meter handy, and I am trying to find the relay, but I am scatterbrained right now! I hate feeling dumb! Do you know of any videos or pictures to aid in this problem?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
lukusidewalker

Fuse 54 keeps blowing! I have been searching these forums for awhile now with no luck. What is the fuel filter relay? Where is it found? How do I swap it with the horn relay? When I look in the glove box and pull down the fuse panel, I just don't understand what needs to be done next...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
probably a bad fuel pump drawing too much amperage. possibly the relay...some relays are behind the glove box and some are in the dme box

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
secondchance

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
probably a bad fuel pump drawing too much amperage. possibly the relay...some relays are behind the glove box and some are in the dme box
Do you know where the realys are for 330ci? Looks like yours is 330ci.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
lukusidewalker

I actually have a 2000 328i. I am looking into removing the glove box to reveal the relays...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
actually, before i did that, i'd see what amperage the fuel pump is pulling when trying to start it....

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
lukusidewalker

is there any pictures that can help me? I have the glovebox out, but I am even more confused now!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
EABMW

My Ride: 330ci Vermouth Pckg
mostlikely hpfp. sounds like my buddies 330i prob

Clears, Painted Reflectors, Tint, Ipod Spec doc
First ever e46 full cat back Stromung Exhaust, 80LED Angel Eyes, K&N 57i Series

1664 CC-Honor, Integrity, Dignity
EABMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
wetzie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Does the fuse blow immediatly or does the pump try to turn but then blows? My pump went bad when there was bad gas at the local gas station. The pump and fule filter was replaced as the pump would quit after trying to get fule through the clogged filter.
Be careful, it is gas!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
the fuel pump is so cheap and easy to replace on the car (definitely diy) honestly its worth it just to replace it anyways. i did mine just for kicks. definitely noticed a nicer power band. It is under the back seats. you change it from inside the car.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
bonemarrow

My Ride: 325ci
Question... When you turn your key in the second position you should hear the Feul pump noise for about three seconds. aside from a faulty feul pump. what else could keep the fuel pump from making that noise?? My fuel pump died on me (stopped making that noise) Changed the fuel pump myself.(thanks to the DIY section) soon as I finished the car started right away!! Complete with pump noise. Three days later I got out and it doesnt start!!! No pump noise!!! the pump was brand new from the dealer....could it possibly be bad or s there something else I'm missing??

Please advise. 2002 BMW 325CI
bonemarrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, pump, relay