E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #81
UmbrellaCorp

My Ride: 00 328ci 95 240sx/SR
for anyone having this problem, it ended up being the maf. Cars been running great.
UmbrellaCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #82
vard81

My Ride: BMW 323i auto 2000
annoying clunk

I have this annoying clunk on rear. I have already changed rear diff mount but clunk is still there. I rely believe that is related with programming. What is more interesting that clunk is not happening when I am driving in S mode. That is also explainable, probably in S mode pressure in torque converter is not reduced since in S mode car should be more responsible.

But the problem is that my car is 323i 7/2000 made with ZF 5HP19 and M52TU engine and S.I. B24 03 03 is not covering my case.

I could not find any software upgrade for my EGS module.

I know that the reason of clunk also could be mechanical problem as deskibed in S.I. 24 09 98 but still this is not applying to my case. BTW could it be from diff or not? I am hearing that clunk when changing gear from R to D rapidly.
vard81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #83
swn80

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hi,
I have a jerking problem.
However, when I made a call to BMW dealer, they quoted me about $100 checking and $100 software upgrade (if it is needed).
Is there any Indy shop I can upgrade the tranny software in Indiana? I do not want to waste my money.
swn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #84
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Is there a updated TSB for this or anything?

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #85
328iFranky

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
I had the same problem but going into reverse it was a transmission mount not an expensive fix any run of the mil mechanic can fix
328iFranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #86
SaturnX

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Reviving an old thread, but I've got the same issue - going to take it into a local shop to have them reflash it.

Should I get both the EGS and DME done? I've been quoted $100 for both... is there any benefit if getting the DME done as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by SaturnX; 12-15-2010 at 09:25 PM.
SaturnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #87
jakajuka

My Ride: E46 330iA M Tech II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnX View Post
Reviving an old thread, but I've got the same issue - going to take it into a local shop to have them reflash it.

Should I get both the EGS and DME done? I've been quoted $100 for both... is there any benefit if getting the DME done as well?

Thanks!
Yes, do it both! So I did and the car change 100% to better.

bye
jakajuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #88
Wartortle

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Update: I got my software updated too! and omg it's like a brand new car.

I went to Steven Creek BMW in San Jose and my service advisor told me he knows about this problem and it happen's to E46's all the time. I just went in, 15 minutes later got the car out and off i went. No service charge, so yes re flashing your software with a new updated software to solve transmission jerk is the answer.
I live in the area, and I just wanted to know how much did Stevens Creek BMW charge you?

Last edited by Wartortle; 12-16-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Wartortle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #89
ipwn

My Ride: E46 Touring 330D MS
Hmm this may or may not be my problem.

When I stop sharply, when the car stops about half a second later comes quite a disturbing large knock/thump from what feels like the back.

It doesn't do the thump when I stop in manual gear 1 or manual gear 2.

Could this be the software issue?

I have an E39 530i with a ZF 5hp19 gearbox.
ipwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #90
SpcTrvlr

My Ride: 1999 328i
Will this work for a 1999 328i? Because I have a weird rumble then hard thud during downshift around 35mph.
SpcTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #91
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Keep in mind that Thudding can be a result of faulty RTAB's sliding forward in their brackets. Jerking is when the actually tranny downshifts hard and jerks the chasis
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #92
SpcTrvlr

You can feel it through out the car and it's without me braking or anything if I just let it drift down say from 45 to 25 right at 35 every time I guarantee it will downshift hard right after a slight rumble <---(I still don't understand what would cause that rumble.) I just said thud because that's usually how I describe it to people, but it really is a jerking feeling, like it will jerk your whole body forward. It's quite annoying...
Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #93
SpcTrvlr

So will it work for a 99 328i, because I've already dumped plenty of money into this car (trust me) and I'd rather not just blindly throw anymore cash at it. So it would be the most amazing thing in the world if this actually works.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #94
Sweetness

Transmission, you're a jerk, I know, you're a jerk, I know, you're a jerk, eh, eh.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #95
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Keep in mind that Thudding can be a result of faulty RTAB's sliding forward in their brackets. Jerking is when the actually tranny downshifts hard and jerks the chasis
Not really. The RTABs would have to 100% gone for that to happen and that is extremely rare. I've driven quite a few cars with completely blown RTABs (talking 200,000+ miles and 13-15 years old and have never experienced any rear-end clunk when coming to a stop, even under hard braking) And you meant the trailing arm hitting against the pocket.

OP and others with the jerk: The jerk can be mostly alleviated, if not completely removed, by updating the transmission software and changing the fluid/filter (which should be done anyway)

To my knowledge, the DME/transmission module software is updated at the same time. Thats how it was at least when I did it for two cars. Completely removed the jerk.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #96
SpcTrvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Not really. The RTABs would have to 100% gone for that to happen and that is extremely rare. I've driven quite a few cars with completely blown RTABs (talking 200,000+ miles and 13-15 years old and have never experienced any rear-end clunk when coming to a stop, even under hard braking) And you meant the trailing arm hitting against the pocket.

OP and others with the jerk: The jerk can be mostly alleviated, if not completely removed, by updating the transmission software and changing the fluid/filter (which should be done anyway)

To my knowledge, the DME/transmission module software is updated at the same time. Thats how it was at least when I did it for two cars. Completely removed the jerk.
is there any problem that you haven't dealt with/fixed before?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #97
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcTrvlr View Post
is there any problem that you haven't dealt with/fixed before?
choosing a meaningful name
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #98
SpcTrvlr

Quote:
At least there's a mango in the picture so it's not completely meaningless. At least it wasn't a picture of a cat or something random lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #99
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
You were 4-years old when the reference came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango_(Saturday_Night_Live)

I used a similar Mango name on car forums back in 2002 when I saw this Mango character on SNL. I thought it was the funniest thing ever so I went with it again in 2006 when I joined E46F. I would probably pick something else if I had to go with a new name.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #100
Sweetness

You remind me of James May for some reason

Tags
jolt, stopping, transmission