E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
dishrags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 9
My Ride: 03 325xi
DSC lights are on

I just bought this damn car and there seems to be so many things going wrong!

I was just driving along on the highway today and the warning lamp, ABS, and Brake lights come on.

Is this something that's normal? The car is an 03 and has about 65k on it. I'm wondering now if I bought a lemon.
dishrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
infinite012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,239
My Ride: White '08 STI
Return it.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
SalM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 6,454
My Ride: Shhh
Yes return it asap. I was reading a few months back same thing happened to this one guy and it leads to some really fvcked up ****.
__________________


SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
dishrags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 9
My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
Yes return it asap. I was reading a few months back same thing happened to this one guy and it leads to some really fvcked up ****.
I tired to find some other threads on this (on this site) and didn't find too much. But some did say it could just be a sensor. - Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like this is a "normal" thing, so does that mean someone just really jacked up the car or did it just roll outta production with a few problems?
dishrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,479
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrags View Post
I tired to find some other threads on this (on this site) and didn't find too much. But some did say it could just be a sensor. - Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like this is a "normal" thing, so does that mean someone just really jacked up the car or did it just roll outta production with a few problems?
The thing is 7 or 8 years old now, there are things that are going to fail at this point. Just a fact of life.

As far as what's wrong, I would check wheel speed sensors and ABS sensors first before you dig more. Should be fairly easy to check by taking each wheel off and checking the sensor. If you just bought it then take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. If it was private party then better roll up your sleeves and get to work.

PS: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...illuminated.3F

Read it, learn it, love it.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 363
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrags View Post
I tired to find some other threads on this (on this site) and didn't find too much. But some did say it could just be a sensor. - Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like this is a "normal" thing, so does that mean someone just really jacked up the car or did it just roll outta production with a few problems?
There's no such thing as "roll out of production with a few problems". If it did, that was 7 years ago.
Why do you say it's normal to have a light on? The lights tell you that something needs attention. Maybe you're trying to ask "how deep in the hole am I?"
Only a mechanic can tell you for sure. Now if you want us to speculate... give us some more details. Like get a Peak tool and get the error codes.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
SalM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 6,454
My Ride: Shhh
I forgot where I read it but He said it lead to some real fvcked up ****.
__________________


SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,361
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Scan codes- probably a wheel speed sensor.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
dishrags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 9
My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
There's no such thing as "roll out of production with a few problems". If it did, that was 7 years ago.
Why do you say it's normal to have a light on? The lights tell you that something needs attention. Maybe you're trying to ask "how deep in the hole am I?"
Only a mechanic can tell you for sure. Now if you want us to speculate... give us some more details. Like get a Peak tool and get the error codes.
I know what the lights are for, I'm asking if these kinds of issues are from normal wear an tear.
dishrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
SKIPPY PB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Removed - tim330i
Posts: 1,016
My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrags View Post
I just bought this damn car and there seems to be so many things going wrong!

I was just driving along on the highway today and the warning lamp, ABS, and Brake lights come on.

Is this something that's normal? The car is an 03 and has about 65k on it. I'm wondering now if I bought a lemon.
Talk to a mech.

DSC w/ BRAKE light on means the system disabled itself because the car isnt caluclating right. Just be lucky you werent relying on the DSC for the LSD effect and has it go on mid turn like I did.

ABS is seperate, maybe its just fuses. Research or take it to a shop.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
dishrags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 9
My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The thing is 7 or 8 years old now, there are things that are going to fail at this point. Just a fact of life.

As far as what's wrong, I would check wheel speed sensors and ABS sensors first before you dig more. Should be fairly easy to check by taking each wheel off and checking the sensor. If you just bought it then take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. If it was private party then better roll up your sleeves and get to work.

PS: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...illuminated.3F

Read it, learn it, love it.
Thanks Sam. I suppose my fault though, I didn't do a pre inspection prior to buying the car. It was exactly what I wanted and there was only ONE other one in the NW for sale.

There are a few maintenance records and I'm just wondering now if all this is an on going problem that couldn't be fixed (why they got rid of the car).
dishrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Ivanhoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 331
My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
Talk to a mech.

DSC w/ BRAKE light on means the system disabled itself because the car isnt caluclating right. Just be lucky you werent relying on the DSC for the LSD effect and has it go on mid turn like I did.

ABS is seperate, maybe its just fuses. Research or take it to a shop.
+ 1, this is a start point
__________________
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
dishrags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 9
My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
+ 1, this is a start point
Thanks everyone. I think I'm just freakin' out a bit.
dishrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
drumbum624
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD/DC
Posts: 652
My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
I got in a pretty nasty accident last summer, my car was actually in park it was the craziest freak accident, but long story short my left rear wheel got hit with a tree. (will post the story another time)

ANYWAY: my left rear control arm was bent and this triggered the same lights that you are seeing. I think it had to do with what Kubica said which is the wheel speed sensor. Maybe go get an alinement done? that could give you some hints
drumbum624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 363
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrags View Post
I know what the lights are for, I'm asking if these kinds of issues are from normal wear an tear.
We don't know what issues you have yet, do we?
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
ChipDouglas27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 16
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipDouglas27 Send a message via Skype™ to ChipDouglas27
This may be unrelated, but I had a ABS light pop up on my VW about a year ago and it required a new ABS control. The VW part was about $800. Not certain if this is your issue or if this may be the price to fix it. You may be able to find a re-manufactured unit as well.
ChipDouglas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,103
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Get the codes pulled. DSC + ABS work together.
They will both be disabled not one of the other.
Check power steering fluid and brake fluid levels.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Gottalovethexi
Registered User
 
Gottalovethexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 8,800
My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
i know that when i would unplug my battery when I used to show my car at indoor car shows, at the end of the day when I plugged it back in my abs/dsc/brake lights would go on but turn off after driving around afterwards...

doubt that helps tho lol
__________________
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,361
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Get the codes pulled. DSC + ABS work together.
They will both be disabled not one of the other.
Check power steering fluid and brake fluid levels.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
i know that when i would unplug my battery when I used to show my car at indoor car shows, at the end of the day when I plugged it back in my abs/dsc/brake lights would go on but turn off after driving around afterwards...

doubt that helps tho lol
Yeah mine does the same anytime I disconnect the battery. They turn out after I drive about ten feet.

OP- did the place you bought it from do any work on it before you bought it? Maybe new brakes, axle, bushings, etc.? If so, they probably chewed up one of the sensors.

For a problem like this you need to scan codes first and foremost though.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
pjo33us
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 207
My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
i know that when i would unplug my battery when I used to show my car at indoor car shows, at the end of the day when I plugged it back in my abs/dsc/brake lights would go on but turn off after driving around afterwards...

doubt that helps tho lol
+1... OP, you might try to disconnect the battery for half an hour and then reconnect. The DSC/ABS etc will be on when you start driving for a few miles at most if the system is normal. You might check all the fuses while you are at it but I doubt this is the issue.

If that does not clear it up, you have an issue in the system that is impossible to diagnose over the internet. You can either take it to the BMW dealer (I would not use an indy here unless you are sure they can read the BMW specific codes) or buy yourself a Peake tool and scan the codes (either way it is going to cost you the same).

Also, fair warning... you will do more maintenece on your BMW than most cars you have owned. Around 65k to 75k seems to be when a lot of it is needed too. More things are considered maintence items as well (colling system, control arms, VCG etc)... This is the price you pay for driving a sports car. Good news is that these cars are very easy to work on compared to most other modern cars.
__________________

Last edited by pjo33us; 12-17-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: additional comments
pjo33us is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use