E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #61
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Thank you right, I know. That's what I was after. This is the part that will stop 90% of the people. Wiring scares people sensless so why not take the mystery out of it and induce some confidence in the approach! Thanks for the compliments too.

Hey you have the exact wheels I'm looking for DPE0-R07S- Variants. Sick sick wheels I'll convert your car for the wheels!!!
Yeah, haha. I'm comfortable with wiring (electrical engineer), but I saw a lot of hand-waving when it came to wiring up the reverse rights. I was able to figure it out using WDS, but I wish I had seen your DIY first. Would have saved me tons of time!

Haha. Well, thanks for the offer, but I'll be changing both the engine and trans out for the S54 and S6S 420G once I'm done with the 5spd swap I'm doing for a friend.
Though, if you happen to have some Work VS-XX that'll fit a non-M, I'm open to trades.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #62
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Yeah, haha. I'm comfortable with wiring (electrical engineer), but I saw a lot of hand-waving when it came to wiring up the reverse rights. I was able to figure it out using WDS, but I wish I had seen your DIY first. Would have saved me tons of time!

Haha. Well, thanks for the offer, but I'll be changing both the engine and trans out for the S54 and S6S 420G once I'm done with the 5spd swap I'm doing for a friend.
Though, if you happen to have some Work VS-XX that'll fit a non-M, I'm open to trades.
Ahhh so now at least I've got a target to shoot at. You seriuosly dont konw - for the lst 4 years that wheel keeps me up a night!!!

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #63
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Ahhh so now at least I've got a target to shoot at. You seriuosly dont konw - for the lst 4 years that wheel keeps me up a night!!!
Ahahaha

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #64
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
welcome to 6spd land - great write-up

although i cringed a few times remembering how much time and thought I put into my swap

I have mine all programmed now and everything works...except the reverse tilt mirror but I dont have trans codes, the cluster no longer has the auto trans portion and cruise works
Old 12-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #65
SMAX

My Ride: 2001 318i
Fantastic DIY..........you are the embodiment of a true fanatic and car enthusiast ......while i would not dream of doing a mod like that myself now ......I remember my days with Volkswagen Beetle parts all over the floor as i constantly eeked out more more life from the van engine i installed in my bug ......great times ...all power to you .....and the e46 Fanatics that will follow in your footsteps
Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #66
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Fantastic DIY..........you are the embodiment of a true fanatic and car enthusiast ......while i would not dream of doing a mod like that myself now ......I remember my days with Volkswagen Beetle parts all over the floor as i constantly eeked out more more life from the van engine i installed in my bug ......great times ...all power to you .....and the e46 Fanatics that will follow in your footsteps
Hahaha - I started getting into motors when I built a pancake to 120 whopping hp. Got my TypeIV Westy weekender to go up mountain passes at 80mph. I built 3 motors to keep that thing running and then installed a Mark Stephens Stage III into it. I sold it and bought my bimmer.

And Thank You!

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 12-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #67
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
welcome to 6spd land - great write-up

although i cringed a few times remembering how much time and thought I put into my swap

I have mine all programmed now and everything works...except the reverse tilt mirror but I dont have trans codes, the cluster no longer has the auto trans portion and cruise works
How did you wire the reverse lights? I'm curious if all the programming is correct why the tilt doesn't work. I miss mine.

/// MODS
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #68
kjsgadh

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:

Hey,

What kinda trans did your friend have before the 5 speed swap (ZF/GM) ? If he/she had a ZF trans are they willing to sell it?
kjsgadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #69
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsgadh View Post
Hey,

What kinda trans did your friend have before the 5 speed swap (ZF/GM) ? If he/she had a ZF trans are they willing to sell it?
Yes, he had a ZF and he is looking to sell it. From what I understand, it's a low-mileage one. You can PM him directly: Devious21

Quote:
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 AM   #70
kjsgadh

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Yes, he had a ZF and he is looking to sell it. From what I understand, it's a low-mileage one. You can PM him directly: Devious21
Done!!

Thanks for the info.
kjsgadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #71
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsgadh View Post
Done!!

Thanks for the info.
No prob.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #72
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Very useful write-up, thank you a lot! Even though I am not going to swap my step by manual in the nearest future, this write up is still useful as DIY for rear main seal or auto trans removal.

I have a question, tho:
Quote:

^ There is a slit at the bottom of the transmission that will allow you to use a screw driver and lever the flywheel teeth little by little until you locate each of the three torque converter bolts and remove them. I believe these were 19mm.
What is the point of removing these bolts? Am I correct, these bolts fix torque converter to the flywheel?
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #73
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
How did you wire the reverse lights? I'm curious if all the programming is correct why the tilt doesn't work. I miss mine.
after programming: I now have cruise and reverse tilt back
Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #74
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Very useful write-up, thank you a lot! Even though I am not going to swap my step by manual in the nearest future, this write up is still useful as DIY for rear main seal or auto trans removal.

I have a question, tho:

What is the point of removing these bolts? Am I correct, these bolts fix torque converter to the flywheel?
Correct. The TC stays with the trans and the flywheel stays with the engine, so those 3 bolts must be removed.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #75
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post

I have a question, tho:

Thank you very much! As Cyberkaa mentioned, if you don't remove them you can't seperate the torque converter from the flywheel and drop the transmission. It would be stuck in place by those three bolts.

/// MODS
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #76
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
after programming: I now have cruise and reverse tilt back
Ok - Did you reprogram yourself or did you have someone do it for you? Regardless I am glad to hear that the mirror dip feature is working again. Eventually I'll get the programming all sorted out.

I've pulled feature option 205 (automatic transmission) from the KOMBI only to find that DIS didn't believe the VO (vehicle order number) was changed so the rest of the modules would not program correctly. Now I'm trying to configure and learn NCS Expert.

Unfortunately there is a world of difference between pre-2001/09 build date cars and post 2001/09. The previous DIY's for programming were pre 2001/09 which meant they had direct access to the SA number, which the rest of the modules see as a change so they will reprogram accordingly. Post 2001/09 cars have a VO and you can't directly change the VO from what I've found, which makes all of this a little more challenging because the rest of the modules don't think a thing has changed without the VO changing.

/// MODS
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #77
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
As Cyberkaa mentioned, if you don't remove them you can't seperate the torque converter from the flywheel and drop the transmission. It would be stuck in place by those three bolts.
Thanks!
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #78
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium
Unfortunately there is a world of difference between pre-2001/09 build date cars and post 2001/09. The previous DIY's for programming were pre 2001/09 which meant they had direct access to the SA number, which the rest of the modules see as a change so they will reprogram accordingly. Post 2001/09 cars have a VO and you can't directly change the VO from what I've found, which makes all of this a little more challenging because the rest of the modules don't think a thing has changed without the VO changing.
Hopefully you will figure this out (so I don't have to) since I just swapped a 5-speed into my '04.

Your wiring made perfect sense until I started doing the swap and found my donor car had two clutch pedal switches. Both 3-pin. 0 4-pin switches...
On your 4-pin switch does pin-2 get energized when the pedal is slightly depressed and pin-4 when pedal is completely depressed? Pin-2 to ECU disengages cruise control and pin-4 to EWS allows car to start?

Added info for those to follow:
While looking for the pins/connectors to plug wires into the EWS and ECU I found that BMW used the same parts on many connectors on the car. The ones I used were from the E36 rear reading lights!
ewcmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #79
brosive05

My Ride: 01 325 & 94 ZR1
This is honestly thee most thorough and amazing write up I have read thus far. Great Job.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #80
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
Hopefully you will figure this out (so I don't have to) since I just swapped a 5-speed into my '04.

Your wiring made perfect sense until I started doing the swap and found my donor car had two clutch pedal switches. Both 3-pin. 0 4-pin switches...
On your 4-pin switch does pin-2 get energized when the pedal is slightly depressed and pin-4 when pedal is completely depressed? Pin-2 to ECU disengages cruise control and pin-4 to EWS allows car to start?

Added info for those to follow:
While looking for the pins/connectors to plug wires into the EWS and ECU I found that BMW used the same parts on many connectors on the car. The ones I used were from the E36 rear reading lights!
It would seem strange that there were two, three wire switches on your donor car but I certainly haven't seen it all. I explained the pins on the clutch module in detail on page two.

To simplify the four wire clutch modules switch:

Pins 1 and 3 are power wires to energize the hall effect sensor*
Pin 2 sends a signal to the ECU when the clutch is fully depressed
Pin 4 sends a signal to the EWS or engine immoblizer so that the car can be started when the clutch is fully depressed

I know that in one of the other write-up's they installed both the four wire, and the three wire switch. The three wire switch was wired to the ECU (along with pin 2 of the four wire switch) and is unnecessary if you're installing the four wire switch. If you install both it will work but you are just paralleling the other circuit making it redundant.

The three wire switch was superseded by the four wire switch. It could be that for a period of time before the four wire switch was introduced that one of the three wire switches was meant to signal the ECU and the other to signal the EWS, independently.

*A hall effect sensor is a proximity sensor that detects a change in a magnetic field and varies voltage output accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosive05 View Post
This is honestly thee most thorough and amazing write up I have read thus far. Great Job.
Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully others can follow this and it gives back to the community.

/// MODS