E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #961
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Ive been in email contact with him.....he had a screen protector on. Took it off, problem solved.

For those of you that havnt seen this discussed before, a screen protector can cause issues if it is not installed perfectly. Sometimes the edge or corner or the protector can come in contact with the bezel around the face and this will produce pressure on the screen and cause the touch screen to act unpredictably. If you are going to use a screen protector you must make sure that there is no contact with the surrounding plastic and even then there is potential for issues as temperature extremes can cause the screen protector to shrink or expand, also putting pressure on the screen in unwanted ways.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-16-2010 at 02:20 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #962
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
When I had an ice>link plus, I never had an instance where my iPods battery level was empty. It was fully charged and kept that way whenever the car was on.

Now with that said, being required to be in iPod mode to charge the iPod is pretty stupid. Now every time I goto start the car, the iPods battery is dead and the dynavin doesn't pick up a connection because the iPod just turned on from the empty battery so I have to wait for the iPod to startup then switch back into iPod mode on the dynavin for it to connect.
Agreed, there should be power through the iPod cable at all times, so we can avoid things like this. I typically won't use the iPod anywhere else except the car so I leave it in my glove box.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #963
steve174

My Ride: BMW 528 & 650 Cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by harticus5 View Post
So what is everyone doing for listening to satelite radio? Right now I Bluetooth from my phone to the dynavin. But sometimes I can't log on to music dock or the siriusxm app. And I don't like the fact that I can't play Bluetooth while the navi is displayed. So I'm thinking of hooking up satalite radio to the dynavin aux connection and powering it from behind the dash Anyone else have any set up like this?
I just hooked up my Sirius over the weekend. I ran an RCA to stereo jack cable from Radio Shack behind the unit and decided to pull the stereo pin through my cupholders, since they are useless. For now, I put the antenna on the trunk lid, ran the wire through the backseat and under the carpet and up to the tray where the cupholders are. Then I just plugged the power into the adjacent cig lighter. Eventually I want to wire it to an accessory fuse, since that is always powered and not very attractive. I use the NAV alot and really need my sat radio for long drives.
By the way, I have an E39 (98 528i) but this forum rocks for Dynavin info, so I follow it closely.

Steve
steve174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #964
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Searched, but couldn't find an answer. Got my Dynavin thanks to Jeff's awesome service. Thanks Jeff. I want to mount my USB somewhere clean and I was thinking about replacing the cigarette lighter with it. I use that to charge my phone, though. Will the Dynavin charge devices as well? Droid in my case.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #965
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Ive been in email contact with him.....he had a screen protector on. Took it off, problem solved.

For those of you that havnt seen this discussed before, a screen protector can cause issues if it is not installed perfectly. Sometimes the edge or corner or the protector can come in contact with the bezel around the face and this will produce pressure on the screen and cause the touch screen to act unpredictably. If you are going to use a screen protector you must make sure that there is no contact with the surrounding plastic and even then there is potential for issues as temperature extremes can cause the screen protector to shrink or expand, also putting pressure on the screen in unwanted ways.
sweet. so are the other "issues" solved as well? maybe he is so happy now that he is out using it and hasn't been back to post. haha

I do recall that issue now. seems like if people want to use that provided antiglare/protectant film they need to trim it. probably an 1/16" inch around would be perfect and allow for easier install.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #966
J&T Distributing

Yes, he got everything working.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #967
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Ok guys, all caught up with the reading and I see that Jeff kept you guys updated with my dilemna. 1st and foremeost - thank you for all your help guys, especially you, Jeff for replying so quickly. You turned my frown upside down. Stupid anti-glare protector caused all the touch screen response issues and once removed, problem solved. Didn't find out the exact reason for my complete loss of sound but I guess something got pinched in the back because resetting didn't work, unplugging for over 1/2 hour didn't work, but once I completely removed the unit, checked connections (which seemed fine) and put it back in, I'm all good in the sound area too. The issue with speakers going out in the front when touching the screen during NAV mode - I can live with that (now that I see how that works). Not too often that I would have to touch the screen anyway. Steering wheel controls work fine with every mode now - once again, could have been a pinched wire or something. As for the difference in volume between modes - nothing new to me but I 'm used to the radio as being the lowest. Once again, I can live with that. I have a few more things to hook up and I'll share a pic or two of my setup. I was going to buy the relocation kit because I'm just picky like that, but after putting it all together and seeing how it looks - it's really not necessary. I'm not just saying that because I don't want to take it apart either. In fact, my setup requires me to take it apart at least one more time.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #968
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Searched, but couldn't find an answer. Got my Dynavin thanks to Jeff's awesome service. Thanks Jeff. I want to mount my USB somewhere clean and I was thinking about replacing the cigarette lighter with it. I use that to charge my phone, though. Will the Dynavin charge devices as well? Droid in my case.
I'll take a pic of what I did with my USB's and aux headphone jack and try to post it up later. A little more work than I expected but exactly what I wanted and the result looks clean.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #969
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
sweet. so are the other "issues" solved as well? maybe he is so happy now that he is out using it and hasn't been back to post. haha

I do recall that issue now. seems like if people want to use that provided antiglare/protectant film they need to trim it. probably an 1/16" inch around would be perfect and allow for easier install.
I was cruising around for a bit and enjoying it but still had a lot of car ripped apart because I have more installations to do (SAT, reverse cam, etc.). All is well and I am very happy Oh, and as for the anti-glare .......

fvck that antiglare!

Last edited by officer140; 12-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #970
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
The Radio Functions have been keeping me thinking the last few days. Ive had a lot of problems with reception and scan/search functions, due to the settings on the radio. I think I finally found some useful information that explains the functions better than the manual. Compliments of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

AF
Alternative Frequencies This allows a receiver to re-tune to a different frequency providing the same station when the first signal becomes too weak (e.g. when moving out of range). This is often utilized in car stereo systems. DYNAVIN: I dont see how it can hurt to have this ON. Ive noticed some cities have simultaneous radio transmission on different freqs.

PTY
Programme Type. This coding of up to 31 pre-defined programme types - e.g. (in Europe): PTY1 News, PTY6 Drama, PTY11 Rock music, - allows users to find similar programming by genre. PTY31 seems to be reserved for emergency announcements in the event of natural disasters or other major calamities. DYNAVIN: Cycle through the music types until you get a blank to receive ALL stations, essentially turning this function OFF. I dont think all stations in the USA utilize this function so the Dynavin will skip the station.

TA
Traffic Announcement, The receiver can often be set to pay special attention to this flag and e.g. stop the tape/pause the CD or retune to receive a Traffic bulletin. The TP flag is used to allow the user to find only those stations that regularly broadcast traffic bulletins whereas the TA flag is used to stop the tape or raise the volume during a traffic bulletin. DYNAVIN: I dont think this function works in the USA. Leave OFF.

Hopefully will help some out there.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #971
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
I'll take a pic of what I did with my USB's and aux headphone jack and try to post it up later. A little more work than I expected but exactly what I wanted and the result looks clean.

Awesome, thanks. Trying to figure out where to put this USB plug is holding me up.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #972
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
I put my usb/ipod/aux iphone connect all in the mini tray behind the cup holders. and then other usb goes to the glove box. All connections are very hidden when the center arm rest is down, which it always is most of the time.
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #973
officer140

iPhone 3gs = no flash horrible nighttime pix so I'll take them in the morning/afternoon and post up
Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #974
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Luckily it was only a pinched wire and not one where the metal behind the unit cut thru the insulation. Short the wrong wire and it's fried. One must be very carefull with the wiring thats behind there when installing. I ended up covering the edges behind the unit with electrical tape for added protection and to prevent any possibility of rubbing against the metal edges.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #975
J&T Distributing

^^^ good call, its a good idea to get a visual on all of the wiring before you button everything up.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #976
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Ok I think someone wanted to know how my firmware upgrade, including the DVB-T (TV) tuner went....all good, just follow the instructions in the firmware upgrade thread on the Dynavin forum...to the letter...

So the digital TV tuner here in Aus works fine although I haven't yet fully sussed all the options....but I guess that is old news.

Luckily I don't own an iPod or an i...anything.... so will have to rely on USB for my musical fix (or at a stretch the CD/DVD player)...and for that just bought a 32GBfor me, a 4GB for the missus and a 16GB for the son...even though he does have an iPod.

I've booked the car in for a once over at an indi service centre...they do Audi, Merc and BMWs so I can't wait to show them the 'Vin....

..and for those that don't smoke, the cigarette lighter socket, suitably reamed, fits the USB flushmount reasonably well..with a little trimming of the USB.

Which reminds me, what is the round structure moulded into the removable part of the ashtray supposed to be used for...maybe that could be utilised for the line in cable mount....if you never want to remove the ashtray!

A C...
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #977
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Codger: I've found the USB to be painfully slow. Not sure how user-friendly it is without the winCE hack, but audio via the microSD card (GPS-side) is miles quicker to "initialise" and navigate.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #978
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Luckily it was only a pinched wire and not one where the metal behind the unit cut thru the insulation. Short the wrong wire and it's fried. One must be very carefull with the wiring thats behind there when installing. I ended up covering the edges behind the unit with electrical tape for added protection and to prevent any possibility of rubbing against the metal edges.
Good idea with the tape - I'll keep that in mind when I have to pull it back out for my next project. I'm usually very good when doing installations and extra careful when it comes to doing my own because I'm anal (don't start the jokes ). I was sure I was all clear with the wiring the first time. Well, I'm really positive this time.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #979
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
The Radio Functions have been keeping me thinking the last few days. Ive had a lot of problems with reception and scan/search functions, due to the settings on the radio. I think I finally found some useful information that explains the functions better than the manual. Compliments of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
Flybot,

Thanks for this info.
I too have been wondering exactly how to work the radio. Seems like it's been mostly by trial and error.

Does anyone know of a way to quickly tune to a station, i.e. I'm on 93.7 but want to get to 106.9? If I press the > button, it stops at every station along the way. There doesn't seem to be a "press and hold" option for skipping through all that. Is there?

Thanks,
John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #980
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1436 View Post
Does anyone know of a way to quickly tune to a station, i.e. I'm on 93.7 but want to get to 106.9? If I press the > button, it stops at every station along the way. There doesn't seem to be a "press and hold" option for skipping through all that. Is there?

Thanks,
John
This may be a long-shot but does the right knob work to change stations? If not...

Probably the best thing to do next is just change to a station closest to 106.9 and deal with the touch screen. Also, maybe the remote will speed thru stations? But seriously, who wants to use a remote when it's supposed to be 'touch-screen'.

I don't use the radio much and haven't even bothered to program most stations. I only have 90.3 and 93.3 set since it does take a while to scroll thru stations, I sort of gave up.

Last edited by ketchup; 12-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote