E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #981
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harticus5 View Post
I put my usb/ipod/aux iphone connect all in the mini tray behind the cup holders. and then other usb goes to the glove box. All connections are very hidden when the center arm rest is down, which it always is most of the time.
Just pulled my center console and brought it in my house to check it out (and clean under it because I'm anal). That looks like the best place to me, too. Thanks.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #982
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
Codger: I've found the USB to be painfully slow. Not sure how user-friendly it is without the winCE hack, but audio via the microSD card (GPS-side) is miles quicker to "initialise" and navigate.
Ummm so the winCE hack does what exactly? I've run a USB extension from the Navi/GPS port (currently exits in glovebox). But I guess everyones done that. Do I need to do this hack to allow MP3s etc to be played over USB via the navi side? I just bought a 32G USB stick for all my stuff but if its gonna take several minutes to register each time.....?

Haven't played with the navi stuff much yet but gather there is a media player in there somewhere.
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #983
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1436 View Post
Flybot,

Thanks for this info.
I too have been wondering exactly how to work the radio. Seems like it's been mostly by trial and error.

Does anyone know of a way to quickly tune to a station, i.e. I'm on 93.7 but want to get to 106.9? If I press the > button, it stops at every station along the way. There doesn't seem to be a "press and hold" option for skipping through all that. Is there?

Thanks,
John
Why not just set it (presset)?
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #984
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1436 View Post
Flybot,

Thanks for this info.
I too have been wondering exactly how to work the radio. Seems like it's been mostly by trial and error.

Does anyone know of a way to quickly tune to a station, i.e. I'm on 93.7 but want to get to 106.9? If I press the > button, it stops at every station along the way. There doesn't seem to be a "press and hold" option for skipping through all that. Is there?

Thanks,
John
Why not just set it (preset)?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #985
officer140

Here's how I set up my aux headphone and 2 USB's. The open and closed look included. I know that some guys don't want to have cables running across but this is the best setup for me. Doesn't interfere with anything and I don't smoke so I don't need the ashtray. I keep my change in the rear ashtray anyway. Looks like a clean install to me. The cover is all beat to sh!t but that's how I bought the car . I still have the glovebox out and I'm still running cables for other things. It was freezing outside so I cranked the heat . The wire coming out from the left side is the power for my Sirius dock. I plan on hardwiring that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	387211   Click image for larger version

Name:	closed.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	387212  

Last edited by officer140; 12-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #986
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
Why not just set it (preset)?
Like I said in my prior post, Im traveling. I dont want to reset my presets every hour.

Last edited by Flybot; 12-17-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #987
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Just to give some more ideas of where to mount the flush mount USB extension besides the centre console or ashtray............

Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #988
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Talking My Install

So first, I don't think it can be said enough, Jeff is AWESOME!

I've actually had it installed and have been using it for about a couple weeks now. I was waiting for my backup camera and an extra USB cable to complete the install.

As nice as the Dynavin is, it's still quite disappointing. It has so much potential, and could be so much better. Especially the bluetooth interface for the phone, it's by far the worst I've seen. The iPod interface isn't that usable, and doesn't keep the iPod charged unless you use it regularly. These are my main gripes, there are a few other little things but I'm sure they've been covered in this thread.

I think in the age of Apple and Android, I expect a much cleaner, better and more intuitive interface, especially since most of the factory installed OEM units these days are quite good.

Anyway, Here are the pics:

ci

I took this opportunity to hardwire an extra cigarette power adapter with USB charging built in into the glove box. And as you can see I wired the iPod interface into the glove box.

Thanks Jeff, and thanks to everyone on this forum, it made this install way easier than it could've been.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #989
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
tasi,

I use the audio/video cable for the ipod connection through the aux. input. I couldn't stand the ipod interface either. But at least with the audio/video cable and jailbroken iphone, I can see the album art and I just use my phone to control the music. this is the first time I have ever used bluetooth to play music as well, so I am not sure what other units have to make them better.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #990
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessone View Post

Exactly what I have but different seller (EBay) I'm having trouble getting this to work for me. The green (reverse) wire in the back of the Dynavin goes where EXACTLY?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #991
TRBOVNM

that green wire gets power from the reverse lights. which also powers up the camera.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=794963&page=2

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 12-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #992
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
Exactly what I have but different seller (EBay) I'm having trouble getting this to work for me. The green (reverse) wire in the back of the Dynavin goes where EXACTLY?
The camera I got came with an wire integrated into the RCA cable, so used the integrated wire to tap the yellow/blue wire in the trunk (for the reverse signal) and since the RCA cable was run from the trunk to the dynavin, I just connected the integrated wire to the green dynavin wire.

If you don't have it integrated, I guess one way would be to run an extra wire from the trunk? Maybe there's a better place to tap it near the front?

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #993
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This is what I have
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #994
officer140

I thought there was somewhere by the fuse box that I could hook it up
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #995
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
I highly recommend selling that camera for the round style one.I have the round one and its much nicer. I think its $70 with shipping most of the time, and it has a signal wire that travels with the video cable the length needed to go from the trunk to dash. The $30 camera you have is not nearly as nice. I actually have one of them myself which I did not use. Only downside to both of them is the led lights are weak compared my other led license plate light. The one you pictured also does not come with a trigger wire.

And I highly recommend not connecting to the fuse box because it is completely not necessary!!!
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate

Last edited by harticus5; 12-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #996
officer140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
So first, I don't think it can be said enough, Jeff is AWESOME!

Thanks Jeff, and thanks to everyone on this forum, it made this install way easier than it could've been.

Well, I finally caved in and ran another wire from the Dynavin to the backup camera. Putting it all together now. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #997
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
as nice as the dynavin is, it's still quite disappointing. It has so much potential, and could be so much better. Especially the bluetooth interface for the phone, it's by far the worst i've seen. The ipod interface isn't that usable, and doesn't keep the ipod charged unless you use it regularly. These are my main gripes, there are a few other little things but i'm sure they've been covered in this thread.

I think in the age of apple and android, i expect a much cleaner, better and more intuitive interface, especially since most of the factory installed oem units these days are quite good.
+1
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #998
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Maybe thats why a factory unit cost $2-3000 for similar features. We all know what the shortcomings are.
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #999
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
Maybe thats why a factory unit cost $2-3000 for similar features. We all know what the shortcomings are.
Agreed, it's comparing apples to oranges really, I don't understand why someone would buy something like this without knowing what to expect and then whinging about it after they buy it.
Do your research first and if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #1000
TRBOVNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Agreed, it's comparing apples to oranges really, I don't understand why someone would buy something like this without knowing what to expect and then whinging about it after they buy it.
Do your research first and if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
exactly. There really are only a couple of things that are design issues with the dvd side of the unit. Everything else is just how it operates and you will find things like that with every unit available on the market. If there was one unit that did exactly everything and operating the exact way everyone wanted it to, then it would own the market. Those couple of software issues that some people don't like, there are ways around them. Like using the audio/video cable for better ipod integration/usage.

The benefit of the Dynavin is that it is an aftermarket unit that fits in the factory location without any hacking of the car like all the other units that are double din. It is designed to look like a factory unit from the outside to the software side. And on top of that, the NAV side is very customizable.

One other big benefit, the company listens to its customers and makes changes, which allows us to do firmware/software updates via USB or SD card. I haven't looked into it, but I have never come across another unit in the past that allows for this upgrade/update capability.