E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
Suspension Maintenance

Question. My car is a 2004, 7 yrs since production date and about 72,000 miles on it.

The suspension feels stiff or harsh now when going over bumps, not the way it did originally when new. Not talking stiff like a stiffer suspension I had that on an '85 e28 with eibach springs and sways and koni sports. I didn't really like that ride.

I am thinking I need new shocks. I am not noticing any weird sounds, clunks or pulls to one side or the other and had an alignment done within the year which the shop didn't recommend and replacements. It was a speed shop and not a tire store. So I am assuming I don't need any bushings etc.

I have OE sport springs which I like the ride height and firmness, so I was going to use Bilstein HD shocks. Which might be a little firmer but that is ok.

Is there anything else I should look out for maintenance wise or should I just change the shocks?

I was thinking of adding a front strut brace, the BMW M3 factory one from tischer.
Also It would be nice to have less body roll and understeer so thinking of adding a UUC swaybar set. Would that work well with OE sport springs and Bilstein HD shock.

Thanks for help.
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Levi@AvTechParts
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 sedan
Shock tower mounts (If needed) - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=31336752735

Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=51717036781

Repair Shop Rear Shock Tower Mounts (They carry a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car) - http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=JRDRP

Rear shock tower reinforcement plates
- I'll be getting some made next week if you're interested. They will be stainless steel, 5/32" thickness, and oem gaskets included.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...-41-57_595.jpg

You still might want to get all the bushings and swaybar endlinks looked at to see if they're on their way out. If your doing suspension work, you might as well get all the little things done at once and get your alignment instead of changing parts here and there and going back for multiple alignments.

Last edited by Levi@AvTechParts; 12-12-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Levi@AvTechParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
johntrhodes81

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell if I need the shock tower mount? When you say all the bushings which ones exactly do you mean? Thanks. John
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
If you didn't like the koni's you sure wont like the bilstein shocks, as they are stiffer.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
darkapollo

My Ride: 2000 328i ZSP
Never seen or heard of a suspension getting stiffer with age.. always softer as the seals wear and don't compress as well..

Sent from my HERO200 using BimmerApp
darkapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntrhodes81 View Post
Question. My car is a 2004, 7 yrs since production date and about 72,000 miles on it.

The suspension feels stiff or harsh now when going over bumps, not the way it did originally when new.
A new car's rubber suspension components give it a supple firmness & controlled isolation which is what I think you're talking about. I bet those parts are pretty worn out, even if they appear to be intact.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 12-13-2010 at 10:19 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
johntrhodes81

Koni vs. Bilstein. Ok Koni's are softer. But wouldn't Bilstein HD's with OE sport spring give a less firm ride than Koni's with lowering springs?

McSpeed: So you are recommending like Levi just replace all the rubber? Would you change shocks as well?

Thanks, John
Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
johntrhodes81

Is this what is meant by all the rubber?
* front control arms
* FCABs
* RSMs
* RTABs
* strut mounts
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
* front control arms
* FCABs
* RSMs
* RTABs
* strut mounts
Yeah. The control arms have 2 ball joints per side, which aren't rubber, but which are worth checking out when you're replacing FCABS.
Also, the rear end has:
4 subframe bushings
upper and lower control arm bushings (3 bushings plus 1 balljoint per side)

If you'd rather not do them all, someone more experienced than I might be able to pinpoint the ones that would make the most difference. I'd guess the strut mounts, RSMs, RTABS and the rear upper and lower control arm bushings would have the most impact on what you're describing. If you noticed it more in the front than the back or something that could help pinpoint too.

Shocks are supposed to be needing replacement around 80K so you could hold out- also I'm not sure shocks would help restore the suppleness - I think it's mostly the rubber that maintains that nice isolation.

(EDIT: ^that's my theory, anyway - I'm after the same thing as the OP. I'll know more in a week or so when my car is off the jackstands: All rubber suspension bushings & rear balljoints have been replaced. Shocks, springs, the 4 shock mounts and swaybars haven't been touched- I'll be doing those when I get coilovers. It'll be a neat experiment as to what does what.)

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 12-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Springs affect ride smoothness, shocks affect bump dampening. Just buy Sachs brand shocks, they are the OE replacement and will be the least firm option.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
* front control arms
* FCABs
* RSMs
* RTABs
* strut mounts
At 72K I would not expect the front strut mounts to be bad. But, I can say that as the OEM gas struts and shocks wear out, they will develop the hashness that you are getting. Add front sway links to the parts to be replaced and check the tierods. Get OEM ride from Sachs or Bilstein Touring.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
johntrhodes81

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Do they make Koni FSD for your car? They are the best option for ride smoothness and even better handling.

And at 72k miles, you should replace the shocks, FCABs (OEM or Meyle), RSMs (JTD or RE), Ball joints aka control arms (OEM ZHP or Meyle), and RTABs (Updated OEM).

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 12-18-2010 at 02:47 PM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
^ That list is good but are the RE and JTD RSMs really worth $60 more that the repair shop rear shock mounts? The repair shop ones even have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=JRDRP

I'm planning on upgrading from my Meyle HD shock mounts ($25) once they go bad.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
^ That list is good but are the RE and JTD RSMs really worth $60 more that the repair shop rear shock mounts? The repair shop ones even have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=JRDRP

I'm planning on upgrading from my Meyle HD shock mounts ($25) once they go bad.
I'm not sure, I've never seen or used the repair shop mounts. I just know that my JTD are excellent quality and still look new after 10k miles.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
Levi@AvTechParts
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I'm not sure, I've never seen or used the repair shop mounts. I just know that my JTD are excellent quality and still look new after 10k miles.
Alright thanks, I'll do some searching. I really haven't heard a whole lot about the repair shop mount but they seem like a good deal.

*Sorry, I'm on my phone and thought I was logged into my personal account.

Last edited by Levi@AvTechParts; 12-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Levi@AvTechParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #17
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Please consider strut mounts, they are likely very loose at this age, especially with worn out struts.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have multi level suspension rebuild kits available below...

Take your suspension rebuild to the next level. The front suspension on the BMW is prone to failure. After time, the front of your vehicle can clunk, make grinding noises, or wander around when going down the highway.

Our Stage 2 front suspension rebuild kit has everything that you need to get your vehicle handling like it should. Includes all parts that commonly fail in one convenient package.

Not only does our E46 suspension rebuild kit replace those common wear items we upgrade your units with Meyle upgraded all metal ball joints & Meyle upgraded suspension bushings.

Change the way your E46 feels & even upgrade further than parts available from your BMW dealer. These control arms feature replaceable ball joints.

Our E46 suspension rebuild kit includes the following:
* Meyle all metal ball joint control arms (left & right)
* Meyle upgraded control arm bushings
* Meyle related hardware
* Sway bar link
* Left tie rod assembly
* Right tie rod assembly

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
is it a dumm question... can i just buy stage 2 for 500 whatever dollers without buying stage 1 or what?? it seems like the description for both has the same matierials..
??
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote