E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 151 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:59 AM   #1021
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz
Agreed, it's comparing apples to oranges really, I don't understand why someone would buy something like this without knowing what to expect and then whinging about it after they buy it.
Do your research first and if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Sadly, there are people out there that are holding off on buying a unit because of a few reasons here and there. If I was the CEO/Owner of Dynavin, I would want EVERYONE with a E46/E39 to own a unit! (and those that drive an Audi or Merc)

Seriously, it's getting annoying that I have to pick a song to play (all over again ) whenever I change to iPod mode.

And let's face it, there's going to be people who buy this unit, install it, try to use it, and then out of newbie frustration - come here to post about it. Heck, I didn't even know about the 'Brake' option until Jeff pointed it out.

Sometimes it's just easier to answer the repeat question instead of saying "SEARCH" and that's an italic 'sometimes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
There really are only a couple of things that are design issues with the dvd side of the unit. Everything else is just how it operates and you will find things like that with every unit available on the market. If there was one unit that did exactly everything and operating the exact way everyone wanted it to, then it would own the market. Those couple of software issues that some people don't like, there are ways around them. Like using the audio/video cable for better ipod integration/usage.
And owning the market is a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions
I hear all of the good and the bad about the dynavin from everybody.

I have had some pretty in depth discussions with dynavin about some of the issues that you bring up, the interface is built within pretty rigid hardware limitations, Thats where the weak points come from
I appreciate you for taking everyone's feedback into account and your eagerness to ensure that all of your customers are happy.

Thank you for continuing to being our advocate

Last edited by ketchup; 12-19-2010 at 03:07 AM.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #1022
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Sadly, there are people out there that are holding off on buying a unit because of a few reasons here and there. If I was the CEO/Owner of Dynavin, I would want EVERYONE with a E46/E39 to own a unit! (and those that drive an Audi or Merc)
I hear what you're saying but the problem is that each individual has their own personal tastes, preferences, likes and dislikes which would be impossible to cater to each and everyone one of them.
That's why the major companies don't go near such niche markets.

Quote:
And let's face it, there's going to be people who buy this unit, install it, try to use it, and then out of newbie frustration - come here to post about it. Heck, I didn't even know about the 'Brake' option until Jeff pointed it out.
Yep, that's exactly what they do, they come across what they think is a fault or issue with their unit, no reading, no troubleshooting, no research and in the end it's usually just a simple setting or function that's already been expalined or addressed in the Dynavin forum.

Quote:
Sometimes it's just easier to answer the repeat question instead of saying "SEARCH" and that's an italic 'sometimes'
Yes it's easier for the one asking the question and easier than thinking for yourself.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #1023
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post

Yep, that's exactly what they do, they come across what they think is a fault or issue with their unit, no reading, no troubleshooting, no research and in the end it's usually just a simple setting or function that's already been expalined or addressed in the Dynavin forum.

Yes it's easier for the one asking the question and easier than thinking for yourself.
...except this and the previous thread are now sooo long and I have read the lot but some of it starts to blur and even searching doesn't come up with the answer...like my USB ''no support file " issue... and yet I think I remember someone in one of the threads mentioning this...or the not being able to easily swap between folders on a USB device thing.

Because the unit is such a complex piece of kit with so many methods of doing various things and then after months someone finds an 'easter egg' that no one else knew about.

So if someone can tell me how to search better maybe I won't need to ask the question.....

I guess I'll search the Dynavin forum too....
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #1024
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Codger View Post
...except this and the previous thread are now sooo long and I have read the lot but some of it starts to blur and even searching doesn't come up with the answer...like my USB ''no support file " issue... and yet I think I remember someone in one of the threads mentioning this...or the not being able to easily swap between folders on a USB device thing.

Because the unit is such a complex piece of kit with so many methods of doing various things and then after months someone finds an 'easter egg' that no one else knew about.

So if someone can tell me how to search better maybe I won't need to ask the question.....

I guess I'll search the Dynavin forum too....
I hope you don't think my comment was directed at you Codger as your 'no support file' issue is the first I've heard of (you didn't try and format the USB by chance did you?) and I've also found that playing movie files from the same USB stick as my music is a bit flaky and if I remember correctly once you have a movie playing it wouldn't let you go back to the USB menu to choose another folder/file.
It seems to me that the USB function is not very well integrated with the DVD player as I could never get it to work seemlessly, so I just either use a disc to watch a movie or I keep movies on the SD card and use the WinCE Entertainment side to watch them.

Last edited by Darkoz; 12-19-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #1025
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Codger,

I actually have that problem too! Only on one of my USB drives, the largest one. I have trouble with that particular USB on the V5 as well as my previous V3 unit. Nobody else has ever said anything so I assume its my USB. I think the person you remember bringing it up a long time ago was me! Since nobody else has made a note of this I dont really have much data to determine what the parameters are but my USB drive is 32GB....thats what yours is right?

And with regards to the search comments etc from my evil twin Darkoz.....I dont blame anyone for not reading the entire 50+ page thread or having trouble with the search function (It never seems to find what im looking for either) but I do get aggravated when I get questions or comments that make it clear that someone bought the Dynavin but didnt even read the first post of this thread....One post, it will take 10 minutes, thats all I ask. Oh, and the FAQ also.....You have no idea how many times a day I type "its in the FAQ"....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #1026
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:

And owning the market is a bad thing?
No, but it won't happen. There are way too many people with different opinions, likes, dislikes, things they want, don't want, etc. Any unit out there you will find things you don't like or something you would like to change. It's just all part of the business.

As far as picking a song every time you go to ipod mode, I had the same frustration as you. I would recommend getting the audio/video cable and using that in aux mode. then use the ipod to control it. I understand you may feel this defeats the purpose of having the ipod mode and doing everything on-screen, but I was so damn pissed about the ipod control on the unit, I will never go back to that since I have been using the aux mode.

If they get the resume going, then it would just about fix the lack of ipod controls. The two biggest things they need to fix are the ipod software design and getting the phonebook to be listed on the unit. The more I use it, the more I see why we really need that working like Darkoz has been preaching. it is advertised as a feature and there are laws out there in certain places, Dynavin needs to do something about it.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #1027
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
No, but it won't happen. There are way too many people with different opinions, likes, dislikes, things they want, don't want, etc. Any unit out there you will find things you don't like or something you would like to change. It's just all part of the business.

As far as picking a song every time you go to ipod mode, I had the same frustration as you. I would recommend getting the audio/video cable and using that in aux mode. then use the ipod to control it. I understand you may feel this defeats the purpose of having the ipod mode and doing everything on-screen, but I was so damn pissed about the ipod control on the unit, I will never go back to that since I have been using the aux mode.
Yep, you cant make a product that is all things to all people.....the ipod steering wheel controls were my idea, I like the way they work, but I get plenty of comments from people who wish they just did track forward/back....everybody wants something different.

Im with TRBVNM on the ipod/aux in thing though, nobody has managed to make a control system that is as simple as the one that is on your ipod. I personally use the remote and the dynavins built in interface most of the time but I only make 2 trips a day in my car....if I made more stops and I had to reselect the songs every time, or if I were a "shuffle" type of listener, I would use the aux in and control from the ipod like TRBVNM is doing. Again, everyone has a different set of wants and needs, at least the Dynavin is fairly flexible, find the setups that work best for you.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-19-2010 at 10:35 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #1028
jasewarn

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 coupe
Hi. I'm looking to put TomTom on my Dynavin (V5). Where would I look to do this? Thanks.
jasewarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #1029
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Jase: Register on the Dynavin Forum.

Check this thread.

http://dynavin.freeforums.org/tomtom...xx-t60-50.html

Read it through until you find Squigly's post where you can DL "links&instructions.zip" - All the info is in there.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #1030
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Before I jump the gun.

As far as ipod controls.

Would dynavin let u skip songs within the steering wheel from a playlist?

How many steps does it take to get back to a playlist when a song is playing?
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #1031
ketchup

Quote:

If they get the resume going, then it would just about fix the lack of ipod controls. The two biggest things they need to fix are the ipod software design and getting the phonebook to be listed on the unit. The more I use it, the more I see why we really need that working like Darkoz has been preaching. it is advertised as a feature and there are laws out there in certain places, Dynavin needs to do something about it.
different opinions, likes, dislikes, things they want, don't want, etc - yes but one common goal, I.E. to get in your car and play music instantly from the iPod while your Navi loads up

I can live with the controls and I agree the resume trumps the controls. With resume it would save me the time navigating thru menus, until I am ready to change things up. Don't forget about constant iPod charge. Those two would be my priority as far as the iPod interface is concerned.

AUX seems like a good way to get around but it doesn't charge?

I haven't used the BT enough but I did successfully stream music from my iPad thru it. The only problem is, the music plays thru the front driver side speaker just as if I were using the phone. It would be pretty awesome if it played properly thru all speakers. Is that the case for those of you streaming music from your phones?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #1032
ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
Before I jump the gun.

As far as ipod controls.

Would dynavin let u skip songs within the steering wheel from a playlist?

How many steps does it take to get back to a playlist when a song is playing?
steering wheel buttons do not skip songs period.

Every time you get in the car and select iPod you begin at the main iPod menu-

Playlist
Artist
etc..

With the steering wheel buttons you navigate like so-
arrows scroll
R/T goes back in menus
talk button selects with long press or mutes with fast press

So using the steering wheel-
Menu>scroll>select>Playlist>scroll>select>Song>scroll>select plays

you can also navigate with the touchscreen or the provided remote control. During play, you can use the right knob to skip songs.

On page ONE there is a video showing the iPod function via touch screen.

Last edited by ketchup; 12-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #1033
TRBOVNM

ketchup,

I use bluetooth to play music all the time and it comes through all speakers just like if it was connected to the cable. no issues playing it with my iphone.

And yes, the audio/video cable that I received from Jeff charges no matter what source I am in. So again, this was a great solution for me. I don't get in and care to listen to one genre or song. I just use shuffle and go. if I am cruising and want a certain song, I will use the phone and scroll to it.

Something to try, when you are using the ipod cable that came with the dynavin and you are listening to music, instead of hitting the navi button or mode button, first pull up the on-screen controls and select exit and see what that does for charging. I found that it still charged my phone when I did that and then went to another source.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: DVD play, I DO NOT have the parking brake wire connected to anything and can play DVD's. I know some others said that leaving it disconnected and unchecking the brake selection in the menu did not allow you to play DVD's. I don't know what I am doing right/wrong or others, but as Jeff said before, you don't have to connect the wire. It is done by software. It is for me anyway.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #1034
harticus5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
anyone know of a good place for a 12v power connection for my sirius? Im putting my sirius dock on the driver vent so I will be running the wires that way. Or do I need to pull the dynavin out to connect power down by the existing cig lighter?
03 BMW M3 Coupe,Titan. Silver,Black Leather Interier,6 SPD,Prem Pkg,Cold Weather Pkg,Harman Kardon, Xenon Lights,Alum. Interier Trim,Alarm,Black Side grills,15% Tint,Dynavin v5 w/ rvserse camera,Clear Side markers,MS54,M3 emblem trunk mat/floor mats,Painted front reflectors,Driver KeyHole delete,Blue/White LED inter.LED exter/tail/turn,Allum.Pedals,M3 Illum. door sills"==///M3==",Painted Fog LGT Insrt,Sirius Sprt5 hardwired,Chrome license plate
harticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #1035
jasewarn

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 coupe
Cheers for that.
jasewarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #1036
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
thanks for the reply ketchup. really good info here.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #1037
boyfromnowhere

My Ride: beemer
Hey, how are you guys turning off your unit? Ignition or On/Off button, I use ignition and usually find that whatever mode I was in ie: usb, radio, starts back up when I first fire up the car, however, sometimes I just get the blue Dynavin screen until I press the mode button to get to what I want. Just asking in case I am causing the Dynavin issues by using the ignition all the time.
boyfromnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #1038
TRBOVNM

I just use ignition. never turn it off on the unit before the key is off. and yeah, it usually goes back to the source I was on. not a big deal and don't see it causing any issue. I usually wait for the source/mode to come up first before doing anything.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #1039
ketchup

Quote:
ketchup,

I use bluetooth to play music all the time and it comes through all speakers just like if it was connected to the cable. no issues playing it with my iphone.
I just tried playing music from my palm Pre and it's the same as on my iPad - Audio only comes from left speakers. I used the remote to get to the setup menu (only way to get there without exiting bluetooth) and I adjusted the speakers to the right and the audio immediately switched out of what was playing on bluetooth to radio

Both devices are A2DP profile compatible but it seems like it's only connecting to the Dynavin via the Headset profile

I don't get how you guys with iPhones don't have this problem.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #1040
Artful Codger

My Ride: 2002 330ci Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Codger,

I actually have that problem too! Only on one of my USB drives, the largest one. I have trouble with that particular USB on the V5 as well as my previous V3 unit. Nobody else has ever said anything so I assume its my USB. I think the person you remember bringing it up a long time ago was me! Since nobody else has made a note of this I dont really have much data to determine what the parameters are but my USB drive is 32GB....thats what yours is right?

And with regards to the search comments etc from my evil twin Darkoz.....I dont blame anyone for not reading the entire 50+ page thread or having trouble with the search function (It never seems to find what im looking for either) but I do get aggravated when I get questions or comments that make it clear that someone bought the Dynavin but didnt even read the first post of this thread....One post, it will take 10 minutes, thats all I ask. Oh, and the FAQ also.....You have no idea how many times a day I type "its in the FAQ"....
Thanks, yes mine is 32G too...so it might be a size limitation...I'll try a 16GB drive and see if it responds any better. It is interesting because the first time you plug it in it works fine for a single folder of music but won't auto initialise (if that's the terminology) after you change functions. May be worthwhile asking Dynavin if there is a USB drive size limit as I suspect a few more users will ask this before too long.

Yep I have read and reread your first post, and the FAQ and the Install guide and the OEM NAV car install guide as well...plus the DICE install, centre console removal guide....how to polish your car etc etc....

For those contemplating the DVB-T TV tuner. If you scan for channels make sure you have a reasonable signal...I live in a hole and had to take the car to higher ground, I think Darkoz recommended that...but the PQ is excellent...now I don't mind taking my son out for his tutoring appointments...just sit back and watch TV...lol. Only issue I have with the tuner is it won't fit behind the glove box and with cables connecting to both sides its a bit messy in the glove box, have to be careful you don't snag an aerial cable if you put anything in it.

Graeme
Artful Codger is offline   Reply With Quote