E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Wait, why don't you guys with an auto tranny just measure how much fluid comes out, and then refill with the same amount? Just wondering.
How can you be sure the amount that was in there REALLY was the correct amount?

When you accurately follow the procedure for checking fill level during the final stage(s) of the fluid change the amount you took out then becomes irrelavant and you KNOW the tranny has the appropriate fill amount in it regarless of how much was removed.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
conv440

My Ride: will never be done
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
Drain & Fill is easy to do. What about replacing the old filter in the tranny. With that many miles the thing has be clogged up quite a bit and probably reduces the flow of fluid. I definitely had mine replaced. Worth it. After market is $50 and OEM is about $80?

Oil filter is changed at every oil change why not the tranny filter???
The tranny filter is traditionally changed with an ATF change. I did the fluid & filter at 60K and plan to do both again when I hit 120K.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
transmission fluid has more of a life expectancy and viscosity than synthetic motor oil. You need to fill the basin of the tranyy pan and then draw suction adn fil it again with at least andother quart and a half.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #24
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
transmission fluid has more of a life expectancy and viscosity than synthetic motor oil. You need to fill the basin of the tranyy pan and then draw suction adn fil it again with at least andother quart and a half.
Say what?

ATF has LESS viscosity throughout its temperature range than say BMW 5W-30 Synthetic.

As for the last part....
Old 12-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
As for the last part....
I think silvrronin was referring to the process of starting the car, allowing the pick-up tube to draw fluid up from the pan, running the transmission through all gears, all while constantly adding fluid to keep the pan fluid levels up.

"So when you go for a drive, remember to leave your murderous anger where it belongs - at home."
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
GCoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
I think silvrronin was referring to the process of starting the car, allowing the pick-up tube to draw fluid up from the pan, running the transmission through all gears, all while constantly adding fluid to keep the pan fluid levels up.
A HA. I bet you are right. Even still, with that in mind going back and rereading that... I still dont think I could have deciphered it.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
gordo325xiwagon

My Ride: '01 325xit Step
I have the GM-France built 5L40-E/GM5 (A5S 390R). BMW specs Texaco ETL 8072-B.

Texaco USA does not stock that product in liter bottles. I emailed them (Texaco) and they recommended using Havoline Multi-Vehicle ATF. They attached a product data sheet which cited Multi-Vehicle ATF as a suitable replacement for ETL 8072-B and ETL 7045-E.

I found a local distributor who drop-shipped to me a box of 12 ea. one (1) quart bottles for $47.00.

BTW I found it much easier to gravity feed the ATF into the trans. I used a larger quart sized funnel and some clear plastic tube routed through the engine bay. When the trans was filled, a pair of needle nose vice-grips clamped off the flow.

1993 300 ZX Twin Turbo (360hp @16psi) // 1997 Jag XK8 Luxor Cruiser // 2001 325xit Best Blend of Ride and Handling
gordo325xiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
9000aero2_E46

My Ride: 2003 330xi
fluid changes

Those plastic pumps are a joke
go to a NAPA and purchase a suction gun. I bought one for $10
Makes tranny,ft/rr diff and transfer case fluid changes a breeze
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...245_0282490564
9000aero2_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote