E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
pix335i
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Winter Arrives Today -- Give Your BMW a Winter Check-Up

Letís face it; most people in todayís economy do not have the extra money to have a separate car for the winter months. That means that it is even more important that you have the proper tools on hand to make your BMW get through these months in one piece. Here are some quick steps that you can take to help ensure your BMW is ready.

Tip #1 -- Check Your Tires for Wear
It is common knowledge that you should generally replace your tires when the tread has been worn down to about 2/32" left on the tire. While this is generally true, if you are planning on encountering snowy roads, you may want to consider replacements if your tread is less than 6/32".

So how do you check your tread depth? All you really need is a US penny (and possibly a US quarter). You can find all the details and pictures describing this at:
Measuring Tire Tread Depth with a Coin @ TireRack.com

If you find that you are in need of some new tires or if you are looking to get a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels, take a look at what TireRack has to offer for the winter season. You can use the Upgrade Garage to quickly locate a set of wheels and/or tires that will work for your car. Click the link below to get started!

Tip #2 -- Check Your Tire Pressures
Make sure you check your tire pressures on those winter tires; you can lose up to 5psi of pressure from summer to winter months and it can have a huge impact on the tires. If you are lucky enough to have your car parked in an attached or heated garage, be aware that you will lose air pressure when transitioning to the outdoors. According to TireRack.com, you should add 1 psi of "cold" tire pressure to compensate for each 10 degree temperature difference!

Tip #3 -- Check Your Windshield Wipers and Windshield Wiper Reservoir
The winter months can wreak havoc on a set of windshield wipers and it is likely that you havenít replaced yours in quite some time. Make sure you inspect your wipers for damage where the wiper meets the windshield. You want to make sure that you wipers are going to do a good job clearing moisture away - especially if you get caught out in a particularly nasty storm.

You will want to keep an eye on the level of your windshield washer fluid reservoir too; drivers go through a very high amount of fluid clearing off the fluids and salts state/federal agencies use to de-ice roadways. Donít get caught out on the road without any windshield washer fluid!

Tip #4 -- Check All Your Lights!
This seems like a silly step that most people would notice but the winter months and potential for extremely low visibility make this step even more important. Grab a friend, wife, neighbor or fellow enthusiast and have them help you check that all your lights are working on your car. You could probably manage this on your own but it will go a lot quicker with someone there helping you.

Tip #5 -- Put Together a Winter Emergency Kit
You never know when you are going to get stuck on the roadways during a storm - accidents happen and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. Take a few minutes to put together an emergency kit that will fit nicely into a duffle bag or back pack in the trunk of your car. Some ideas on what to include are:
  • Flashlight - yes, one that is better than the one provided by BMW with your car!
  • First Aid Kit
  • Gloves, Hat, Blanket(s)
  • Ice Scraper
  • Jumper Cables
  • Possibly even some food that will last like granola bars, energy bars, etc.
  • Be creative and think of what you might need if you were stranded!

Everyone be safe out there and have a safe holiday season!
pix335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
This is a great thread
On a side note: I had worries my car would slide all over the place this winter because its my first RWD car and a first winter with it.
I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta in the rear and Bridgestone Blizzaks in the front. Not to mention my 150lbs of subwoofers in the trunk. lol
Now my car handles way better than my AWD X3 and my fathers E320 4Matic

Snow tires make all the difference in the world. Get them ASAP!
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Great tips, but why are you working on a snowy driveway? I would think it'd be wise to shovel that snow out of the way first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
Great tips, but why are you working on a snowy driveway? I would think it'd be wise to shovel that snow out of the way first.
I wasn't very well prepared. I didn't even have my breaker bar, I had to make due.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846[1].jpg
Views:	638
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	387457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852[1].jpg
Views:	721
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	387458  
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
nice thread!

i think winters are a must for every car.

to the wrench tim.. the one in the trunk didnt work for you?

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
M3s don't have a lug wrench...

At least mine didn't...

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Holy crap! Well hey man, at least you didn't get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
blizzaks make all the difference in the world.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Jonshmoe

My Ride: (GONE)
Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
if only this applied to me

Jet Black E90
Sienna Red E46 (RIP)
Jonshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
330exeye

My Ride: 2004 330xi
does M3 usually have that much travel in the front suspension. thats enormous! my 330 doesn't eve travel that far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
It is indeed called E46fanatics, not E46wellthiscarisokthewayitissowhymodit
330exeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
FalconBMW

My Ride: '02 325i
Nice write up! My car is too low and tight with the H&R Cup Kit and other mods now though to drive it in the winter conditions around here. Opted for a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 6" lift and big tires to deal with that though =)

Coming Soon: Alpine INA-W910, Alpine Type X 12" (MB Quart Mono), VMR V710 Hypersilver 19's, M-Tech II, more.

Last edited by FalconBMW; 12-21-2010 at 11:07 PM.
FalconBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
to the wrench tim.. the one in the trunk didnt work for you?
As far as I know M3's don't have the lug wrench. You don't have a spare or a jack so why have the wrench must be the thinking in Munich. Luckily I had access to a large bolt, grinder and adjustable wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
M3s don't have a lug wrench...

At least mine didn't...
Me neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330exeye View Post
does M3 usually have that much travel in the front suspension. thats enormous! my 330 doesn't eve travel that far
As far as I know it is the stock suspension (I'm the 3rd owner).

Happy holidays,
Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
PatrickSZ28

My Ride: '02 330i Sprt & Prem
I have a question concerning tire pressure. I know it says above that I can lose up to 5 PSI, my question is, do I need to keep filling the tires with air or wait out the winter? I usually keep around 40 PSI in all of mine, they are reading around 34-35 now. I know this is a stupid question but I wanted to make sure of what I need to do, because I wasn't sure if the tire pressure would go back up when it started to get warm again and I don't want to have too much pressure in the tires when that happens.

Thanks.
PatrickSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
blizzaks make all the difference in the world.
love mine too
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
basketthis

My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSZ28 View Post
I have a question concerning tire pressure. I know it says above that I can lose up to 5 PSI, my question is, do I need to keep filling the tires with air or wait out the winter? I usually keep around 40 PSI in all of mine, they are reading around 34-35 now. I know this is a stupid question but I wanted to make sure of what I need to do, because I wasn't sure if the tire pressure would go back up when it started to get warm again and I don't want to have too much pressure in the tires when that happens.

Thanks.
In my factory owners manual it lists the tire pressures. I don't believe any of them are above 35 psi. The fronts are lower than the rear. I have mine at around 30 psi in the front and a little more in the rear as this is recommended by the factory. You may want to refer to your specific manual to be sure. Hope this helps.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
stefan_

My Ride: 03 PY M3 Coupe
And if you're somewhere really cold.. check your ccv/pcv/cyclone for leaks.
stefan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
EuroSlovakiaE46

My Ride: Toyota Highlander
Send a message via Skype™ to EuroSlovakiaE46
Best all season tires? Best summer tire best winter tire? i know blizzaks are the common favorite. it is always cold as hell in chitown so i need the best..

I need an E46 to replace this Highlander!!
EuroSlovakiaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
three30cic

My Ride: 330ci/m3
Send a message via ICQ to three30cic
Talk about being proactive......

Hate to see activity on winter stuff already lol
three30cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #20
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
:gtfo: It's still summer.