E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #1062
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I've experienced no problems with accuracy using Primo or iGO8, I have the antenna mounted on the rear parcel shelf.
Regarding nav discuusion, best to use the dedicated Primo thread (linked below) which has lots of info and downloads rather than clogging up this and other Dynavin threads, poor Jeff has enough to sift through I'm sure.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797457
Your the man by the way lol, I got my primo download from you, and its pretty nice, I'm deffinetly going to start tweaking this system. How did you mount it in the rear shelf? I've had the deck off before and I'm putting BSW speakers in this weekend so would you reCcomend I move mine?
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #1063
TRBOVNM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 436
My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
I would move the antenna as well. I put mine on the dash in the corner by the a-pillar on the passenger side. not very noticeable and works well.

However, I would recommend trying the NAVTEQ maps instead of the standard teleatlas maps that come with igo. I had the same issue with the teleatlas maps and once I put the navteq maps in, everything worked perfect. and the navteq maps are older than the teleatlas. go figure. teleatlas would be off like you are saying with the house numbers, but numerous address locations were WAY off.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #1064
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
I would move the antenna as well. I put mine on the dash in the corner by the a-pillar on the passenger side. not very noticeable and works well.

However, I would recommend trying the NAVTEQ maps instead of the standard teleatlas maps that come with igo. I had the same issue with the teleatlas maps and once I put the navteq maps in, everything worked perfect. and the navteq maps are older than the teleatlas. go figure. teleatlas would be off like you are saying with the house numbers, but numerous address locations were WAY off.
Right now I have the maps from darkoz's primo download which I don't recall if they are navteq or telatlas... And I'm going to relocate it once I do my BSW install next week. Have you found any updated POI logs online? I think there's room for improvement in this area, I found a few sites that have downloads for IGO8 which I'm assuming works for primo.
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #1065
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
Right now I have the maps from darkoz's primo download which I don't recall if they are navteq or telatlas... And I'm going to relocate it once I do my BSW install next week. Have you found any updated POI logs online? I think there's room for improvement in this area, I found a few sites that have downloads for IGO8 which I'm assuming works for primo.
The US maps download I posted are the latest navteq maps
I have the nav antenna magnetised where the child restraint bolt is in the centre of the parcel shelf
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #1066
tasi333
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 134
My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
I had my GPS antenna where Jeff originally suggested, stuck to that metal bar behind head unit, and I usually got a fix under 45 seconds, sometimes when it was overcast, more like 2 minutes.

Then this past weekend while I was hooking up the reverse camera I moved it, I shoved it right above the duct/vent, fit there nicely, pretty secure. Now I'm getting a GPS fix within 10 to 25 seconds.

T.
__________________



2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #1067
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
I had my GPS antenna where Jeff originally suggested, stuck to that metal bar behind head unit, and I usually got a fix under 45 seconds, sometimes when it was overcast, more like 2 minutes.

Then this past weekend while I was hooking up the reverse camera I moved it, I shoved it right above the duct/vent, fit there nicely, pretty secure. Now I'm getting a GPS fix within 10 to 25 seconds.

T.
I actually don't have bad reception (as far as I can tell). But I will be moving it regardless to the rear deck in the factory position, or where darkoz put it if I can't get it into the factory spot.
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #1068
tasi333
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 134
My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
I actually don't have bad reception (as far as I can tell). But I will be moving it regardless to the rear deck in the factory position, or where darkoz put it if I can't get it into the factory spot.
Would you mind taking a pic when you do please? I have no idea where the "rear deck" is, and I didn't even know there was a factory position
__________________



2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #1069
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
Would you mind taking a pic when you do please? I have no idea where the "rear deck" is, and I didn't even know there was a factory position
Sure no problem, and don't quote me on this but I had the rear deck apart (where the rear speakers are) and in the grill that typically causes all the pops and rattles in the e46's there's a rectangular spot where I believe the factory gps antenna is supposed to clip in, my plan was to put my antenna there with some doublesided gooey tape... Its a thick spongy tape, this way the antenna won't resonate when the puny harman kardon sub kicks ;-) .
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1070
95seriesbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 89
My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
I read a few pages back about the usb size limitations. I know the 32 gb was apparently causing issues for some. Has anyone figured out for sure what size is the largest it can support. I wana buy a larger usb stick so can get the most music on one drive but dont want to have problems with it. I have about 20-25 gb of music i want to put on one. Will the 32 work or better off with 16gb due to issues?
__________________
95seriesbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #1071
TRBOVNM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 436
My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
Right now I have the maps from darkoz's primo download which I don't recall if they are navteq or telatlas... And I'm going to relocate it once I do my BSW install next week. Have you found any updated POI logs online? I think there's room for improvement in this area, I found a few sites that have downloads for IGO8 which I'm assuming works for primo.
you can confirm if you want, but darkoz said it has the navteq maps. look in the map folder and look at the name of one of the maps. it will either have a TA or NQ in the file name. I don't have the issues you are experiencing with the NAVTEQ maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
The US maps download I posted are the latest navteq maps
I have the nav antenna magnetised where the child restraint bolt is in the centre of the parcel shelf
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #1072
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
I read a few pages back about the usb size limitations. I know the 32 gb was apparently causing issues for some. Has anyone figured out for sure what size is the largest it can support. I wana buy a larger usb stick so can get the most music on one drive but dont want to have problems with it. I have about 20-25 gb of music i want to put on one. Will the 32 work or better off with 16gb due to issues?
Dynavin on their website state that it supports up to 32GB USB
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #1073
95seriesbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 89
My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
thanks i will try that then. i didnt even think to look there given that it really didnt have much detailed last i remembered.

also darkoz i downloaded your link to primo and maps. Was having trouble finding a place to download it. thanks its much better than the igo8.
__________________

Last edited by 95seriesbmw; 12-21-2010 at 07:17 PM.
95seriesbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #1074
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
thanks i will try that then. i didnt even think to look there given that it really didnt have much detailed last i remembered.

also darkoz i downloaded your link to primo and maps. Was having trouble finding a place to download it. thanks its much better than the igo8.
You're welcome, glad I could help
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #1075
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Dynavin on their website state that it supports up to 32GB USB
If I remember correctly though it only supports 198 folders of music correct? Or artists? A hardware limitation correct? I personally haven't done it yet but once I figure out how to set up the wolf ncu I planned on putting my music on the sd card and playing it via wolfncu and the windows board for awhile and seeing how that works out... 95seriesbmw you should look into this as a possibility as well. It seems like an easier option.
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #1076
KamPow3r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 827
My Ride: ....
Yeah I want to move my GPS Antenna too because it keeps on dropping signal or doesn't pick up signal at all. Can someone post a picture as to where the moved it so that it gets better reception and doesn't drop, thanks!
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines..."
- Enzo Ferrari
KamPow3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #1077
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Plus I don't really care for the usb folders, because you can't listen to a song and then open another folder up to find your next song, as soon as you press another folder it starts playing out of that folder. Kindof annoying to me. I will take a picture tomorrow of the 3 possible places that I see possible for the antenna. There's obviously many places but the 3 cleanest places would be, the corner of the A-pillar and dash, the rear deck corner or child seat anchors like darkoz said, or the factory spot that I might try to mount mine in which is under the grill in the bottom of the rear deck all the way at the rear of the window.
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1078
reynaldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Overseas
Posts: 967
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
The antenna was placed on top of the bar not under but still having issues with the signals... I guess i got a dud DYNAVIN ... Lucky you all...
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #1079
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
Plus I don't really care for the usb folders, because you can't listen to a song and then open another folder up to find your next song, as soon as you press another folder it starts playing out of that folder. Kindof annoying to me. ........
Of course you can, you can view the artist folders and choose another song while you're listening to the current song
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #1080
nunnink23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: connecticut
Posts: 17
My Ride: 05 zcp m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Of course you can, you can view the artist folders and choose another song while you're listening to the current song
Yeah but let's say I'm in folder A. Listening to song B. Then I want to go to folder F but just open the folder so I can browse thru the songs and pick one for the next song to play, but the annoying thing is as soon as I click on folder F. A song automatically starts playing out of that folder.

This is why I want to get wolfncu setup and see how I like it.
nunnink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use