E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #81
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
anyone in Sacramento area want to help me with this DIY?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #82
dsblk93gt

My Ride: '01 325i
I need to do this and will probably replace all the CV stuff as well. UGH!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #83
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
I just finished mine and was not that bad. Just make sure you have enough time to do it right.
To remove the gasket I used a surgical type pick to get the gasket out. Just dig into the gasket at an angle a little bit and pull upwards. Do it in few areas and it pop right out. Does not scratch the groove at all where the gasket sits.
Also to remove the banjo bolt for the oil line, use a wrench that pivots. I could not get a socket wrench in there. No room. Also dont forget to replace the two crush washers.

E46 Rocks
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #84
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
anyone in Sacramento area want to help me with this DIY?
If I were local, I'd give you a hand with it. Same for any local NYC DIYers. Im always down to lend a hand.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #85
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
If I were local, I'd give you a hand with it. Same for any local NYC DIYers. Im always down to lend a hand.
I just replaced it last weekend with a local fanatic.! Thank you!!

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #86
GRIFFIN
NWS

I just replaced the OFHG. When I removed the housing some oil dripped out, I followed the DIY exactly. I still have drips. I cleaned everything up pretty good. SO, I am not sure if I am leaking from a new place or if the oil that spilled is still falling off engine parts. I cleaned it up again, I will wait 1 week and see if there are new puddles. Anything to check out. I also replace my VCG about 8 months ago.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #87
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
I just replaced the OFHG. When I removed the housing some oil dripped out, I followed the DIY exactly. I still have drips. I cleaned everything up pretty good.
I put some RTV silicone on the outer edge of the housing for some extra insurance. Damned if I will ever be doing it again.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #88
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Thanks for the DIY. Doing this soon. Found that mine was leaking while doing my motor mounts.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #89
bohemianjsr

My Ride: 2001 325I Sport
I followed this DIY to do mine. The hardest part was putting the alternator back on. Tip: use a narrow screwdriver and insert it through the top thread hole (alternator through mount location on engine) so you can line up the bottom bolt. I really have to get a 3/8 in. torque wrench because I cant quite get to 25 m torque on the oil filter cap. I either leave it too lose, or tend to pinch the oil gasket.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #90
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Just did my friends this past weekend, not hard but the cleaning job took some time, alternator was very easy, no problems there. Need to jockey the entire housing a few time to get it lined up and over the dowels but that was all. Will probably do mine this coming weekend or maybe during the week if I get the time. We also replaced the vanos oil line which was leaking as well on the metal ends. Mine is doing the same. It took us about 4 to 5 hours complete off and back on. Next one I can see being quicker.

Last edited by Phoenix330ci; 01-17-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #91
GRIFFIN
NWS

ofhg replaced about 3 weeks ago, and I still ahve a leak somewhere. I have replace the vanos line, crush washers, VCG, and the ofhg twice. I don't have the chebacca sound, so anything else I can check. Not able to trace the souce

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #92
mp333

Quote:
ofhg replaced about 3 weeks ago, and I still ahve a leak somewhere. I have replace the vanos line, crush washers, VCG, and the ofhg twice. I don't have the chebacca sound, so anything else I can check. Not able to trace the souce
Were the six bolts torqued down to spec? Gasket possibly moved during installation.
Try using a flexible magnetic pickup tool that has a LED light on the magnet portion. The light is bright and you can bend it and snake into tight areas to check leaks. Works well. A small flex mirror may help also.
You can pick one up at the auto parts store.

GL

E46 Rocks
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #93
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Probably, it is time to add dye in the oil that will show the source of leak in ultra-violet light.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #94
GRIFFIN
NWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
Were the six bolts torqued down to spec? Gasket possibly moved during installation.
Try using a flexible magnetic pickup tool that has a LED light on the magnet portion. The light is bright and you can bend it and snake into tight areas to check leaks. Works well. A small flex mirror may help also.
You can pick one up at the auto parts store.

GL
everything is torqued to spec. Gasket was placed inside housing and was snug when it was being bolted. I see a bit of oil on the waffle design area on the engine. The oil seems to oil on the drivers side middle of the splash guard.

*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
Quote:
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #95
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Did this last night. Mine was baaaaad.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #96
dsblk93gt

My Ride: '01 325i
I just did this on a 323i a little while ago. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. Not sure why everyone has issues with the alternator, seemed easy to me.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #97
GA-e46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Finished this Saturday on my 325 and my brothers 330. Thank God, now I can go ahead and get my oil changed. Thanks for the DIY
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #98
chetured

My Ride: 2003 M3
2001 330 i

Guys did all that ws listed - gasket and all. Thanks for the great DIY - I have a new problem - Once I put everything back - now oil is pressurizing and leaking in streams from the oil filter cap - in streams like spilling lava over (top is scrwed on and closed of course) And when I turn the engine off it is making a slurping/sucking noise. Everything seems nice and snug.. I did replace the oil switch as well .It is not throwing any codes inside or oil light on either. Did I miss something - is that little fan type thing inside the oild filter housing stuck or something?? I am wondering if I scrwed n teh filter back or if I left some gap... dont even know what to look for. and Dont want to take the whole thing apart. I am hoping its just the oil filter gasket

2001 -330i
2003 m3
chetured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #99
rbryantaz

My Ride: '01 330i
I replaced the housing gasket on my newly acquired 2001 330i that had 117k miles on it.

I told the previous owner that it had an oil leak and he said that it was actually a PS leak that was already fixed. Either it also had a PS leak or his mechanic doesn't know the difference between engine oil and power steering fluid because it was definitely my leak...

I was able to do it all without removing the fan (it is an automatic car so the mechanical fan is a pain to remove). If you remove the fan it is probably a good idea to change the thermostat and possibly the water pump while it is off. And of course check your belt and replace it if needed.

TIP:

Remember to buy both the new housing gasket and new Vanos line crush washers. I forgot the crush washers so in a pinch I reused my old ones (but I plan on replacing them in a week or two when I do the Vanos seal repair).

In a pinch if you forgot to get new crush washers like I did AND you have copper crush washers you can heat them with a propane torch until they start to change color and then pour water on them to quickly cool/quench them. This will re-anneal them so that they will be soft enough to reuse.

I still recommend getting new washers but re-annealing copper washers can work if you forget.

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 03-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.
rbryantaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #100
mp333

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetured View Post
2001 330 i

Guys did all that ws listed - gasket and all. Thanks for the great DIY - I have a new problem - Once I put everything back - now oil is pressurizing and leaking in streams from the oil filter cap - in streams like spilling lava over (top is scrwed on and closed of course) And when I turn the engine off it is making a slurping/sucking noise. Everything seems nice and snug.. I did replace the oil switch as well .It is not throwing any codes inside or oil light on either. Did I miss something - is that little fan type thing inside the oild filter housing stuck or something?? I am wondering if I scrwed n teh filter back or if I left some gap... dont even know what to look for. and Dont want to take the whole thing apart. I am hoping its just the oil filter gasket

2001 -330i
2003 m3
Make sure all the rubber gasket are in place on the oil filter housing cap. (2 small & 1 Large I think?)
Also make sure its not cross threaded.

GL

E46 Rocks