E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Dan Rodriguez

My Ride: 02 SMG M3 Vert
RTAB preload with coilovers?

I am lowered to 13.5/13 and am about to install OEM RTABs with RE limiters. Can anyone tell me a good method of preloading them? I have searched the forum, read the TIS, and read the Bentley manual. These instructions and the BMW tool (33-3-280) all assume stock ride height.

Please leave the poly vs OEM debate out of it. I've read plenty of those threads already and I know you don't have to preload poly RTABs. I have the OEM RTABs and limiters in hand already and they are going on. I just want to do it correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Dan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
If you use the Vorshlag limiters and oem bushings, the things seem incapable of retaining preload even when fully torqued. I don't think the preload is important functionally - it's just something that has to be kept in mind so you're not tweaking the heck out of the bushing. So my suggestion, to keep things simple, is use the Vorshlag limiters or another option that sidesteps preload. Or you could just extrapolate the angle difference based on your drop vs standard specs.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 12-23-2010 at 06:37 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
You drive the carbon black M3, right? Let me know if you need any help. The auto skills center on Yongsan has a long pry bar you can use to line up the leve of the bushing carrier and the middle of the hub. I just eyeballed my RTAB last year.

Your real problem will be trying to find a good alignment place that can actually align your car and get your car on the lift. The only place that I could find is in Kangnam.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Dan Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
If you use the Vorshlag limiters and oem bushings, the things seem incapable of retaining preload even when fully torqued. I don't think the preload is important functionally - it's just something that has to be kept in mind so you're not tweaking the heck out of the bushing. So my suggestion, to keep things simple, is use the Vorshlag limiters or another option that sidesteps preload. Or you could just extrapolate the angle difference based on your drop vs standard specs.
For me the biggest function of the preload is to maximize the life of a bushing with a notoriously short life. I don't know if the Rogue limiters are any easier or harder to preload. I will just try to get these as close as I can. Hopefully by the time these crap out I'll be somewhere with better roads. Then I'll put on Powerflex poly bushings which may or may not increase NVH depending on who you ask.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Dan Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
You drive the carbon black M3, right? Let me know if you need any help. The auto skills center on Yongsan has a long pry bar you can use to line up the leve of the bushing carrier and the middle of the hub. I just eyeballed my RTAB last year.

Your real problem will be trying to find a good alignment place that can actually align your car and get your car on the lift. The only place that I could find is in Kangnam.
That's me! I appreciate the offer. It looks fairly simple and I have the MIS RTAB tool so I should be good. I had hoped to do this over the Christmas break but my wheels/tires got put on the slow boat to Korea so they won't be here until mid January. I want to do RTABs/wheels/alignment as close together as possible so it will still be a couple more weeks.

Please let me know what alignment shop you used. I had planned on just using the Bundang BMW dealership but didn't think about possible issues getting on their lift. Kangnam is on my way home from Yongsan anyway. I know there are a lot of performance oriented shops around there vs. my dealership who mainly sees 5/7 series cars. Do you know if they do corner balancing?

P.S. Glad your car is back on the street. I saw it at the auto shop a few weeks ago and was wondering what was going on. I just saw your thread about your clutch. Sucks being in Korea sometimes!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rodriguez View Post
That's me! I appreciate the offer. It looks fairly simple and I have the MIS RTAB tool so I should be good. I had hoped to do this over the Christmas break but my wheels/tires got put on the slow boat to Korea so they won't be here until mid January. I want to do RTABs/wheels/alignment as close together as possible so it will still be a couple more weeks.

Please let me know what alignment shop you used. I had planned on just using the Bundang BMW dealership but didn't think about possible issues getting on their lift. Kangnam is on my way home from Yongsan anyway. I know there are a lot of performance oriented shops around there vs. my dealership who mainly sees 5/7 series cars. Do you know if they do corner balancing?

P.S. Glad your car is back on the street. I saw it at the auto shop a few weeks ago and was wondering what was going on. I just saw your thread about your clutch. Sucks being in Korea sometimes!
Thanks...it was a joyous day when I fired it up and it moved without someone else pushing it!

I have the place programmed into my GPS...you can borrow it whenever you go. You'll need to take a translator and specs if you want something outside of OEM. Not sure if they do corner balancing, that might be hard to find here in Korea.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote