E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
e46_black_on_black

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe
Question Upgrade: BSW Front Midbass Only?

Hey everyone. This is my first post on the forums, but I have been following for a long time. Tons of knowledge and helpful members around here. Anyway, I have a 2004 325ci coupe with the HK sound system. I have a JL 10" sub/amp combo and I am relatively happy with the sound quality. However, I sometimes hear buzzing or distortion in my front passenger midbass speaker when there is a lot of bass or low frequency audio. It sounds like it could be damaged or blown, but it's not a constant issue and it actually sounds fine most of the time. I am considering just upgrading the two front door midbass speakers to the BSW ones. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in overall sound quality? Is it worth it to start by just upgrading the two?
e46_black_on_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Evap

My Ride: rubs tires
Before you worry about replacing anything, I'd just check to make sure the speaker hasn't come loose. That happened to my driver's side stock speaker, and it sounded a lot like the blown passenger one.

I just did a full BSW upgrade, and I can tell a difference in the midbass, but it isn't huge.
Evap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
speedlaw

My Ride: 03 330i Sport
just replaced my rear HK speakers with the BSW units, which after seven years of no garage, were sun baked to a crisp. They sound so much better than the fronts i have the system set toward the rear. The fronts are next, after holiday gifts.

I would have expected better drivers from BMW. The rest of the car is so good that crappy speakers, especially in the upgrade stereo, are inexcusable. When it was new, it was decent but not great, and over time, didn't get better. Since the speakers are funky, along with the mounting, I chose the BSW for the plug n play. This is annoying, as every other car I've had I upgraded the speakers, but it was easy and there were many choices. At least the BSW stuff is good.

Last edited by speedlaw; 12-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
speedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
e46_black_on_black

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go ahead and upgrade my fronts with the BSW front midbass, then I'll tackle the rear if I think it's needed. I'm sure I will be happy with the improvement.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
HI Black on black,

Let us know how your upgrade turns out. I just replaced the front mid-range and tweeter as per BSW's recommendation due to tight budget. They claimed that this will give me the best bang for the buck. However, I am a little disappointed after the installation. The overall improvement is just not good enough. Maybe it's just me being too picky. There're some improvement but I just don't find vocal to be very focused. Maybe I didn't replace the mid-bass which I think is very crappy. When I turn up the bass I can hear the shatter base and the speakers just sound like they are going to blow. Your BSW mid bass should do a better job I think.

Good luck to your installation.
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
e46_black_on_black

got the new front midbass woofers for xmas. install was pretty smooth and i do notice a difference in overall quality. the sound (especially vocals) sound much more "full" whereas the HK speakers sounded tinny and lackluster. I think i'll get the midrange/tweeter upgrade next and i should be good to go. My overall setup: HK system w/ JL audio sub/amp combo in the trunk. Ski pass removed, armrest down. new BSW midbass woofers in front doors. BMW aux port installed in ash tray area. I run most of my music through my iPhone 4. Definitely download the "EQu" app from the app store for a full equalizer to fine tune the overall sound of the system. You can control playlists, artists, albums, songs all from within the app + the power of having an equalizer. My system sounds pretty awesome right now - but there's always room for improvement.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_black_on_black View Post
got the new front midbass woofers for xmas. install was pretty smooth and i do notice a difference in overall quality. the sound (especially vocals) sound much more "full" whereas the HK speakers sounded tinny and lackluster. I think i'll get the midrange/tweeter upgrade next and i should be good to go. My overall setup: HK system w/ JL audio sub/amp combo in the trunk. Ski pass removed, armrest down. new BSW midbass woofers in front doors. BMW aux port installed in ash tray area. I run most of my music through my iPhone 4. Definitely download the "EQu" app from the app store for a full equalizer to fine tune the overall sound of the system. You can control playlists, artists, albums, songs all from within the app + the power of having an equalizer. My system sounds pretty awesome right now - but there's always room for improvement.
I was a little disappointed with the overall sound quality after installing the front tweeters and midranges. Vocal does improve but overall is just still not good enough. I then played with the tonal control and figured the midbasses on both front and rear are causing the muddiness. I am pretty sure if you have the budget to get the tweeters and midranges for the front your sound will even improve more. BSW does provide the best ease of installation so if that's your concern you should definitely go with them. I am a little tight in budget so am mulling over replacing the front and rear midbasses with aftermarket stuff. Good luck.
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bsw, e46, harman kardon