E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
99FRC

My Ride: 06 Aw-Imola M3
ddm coilover tape on camber plate

i have a question ive read before you have to put tape on camber plate so it doesnt make noises when in contact with shock tower?

how do i put tape on and how much maybe some pictures or am i wrong?
99FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
99FRC

i just spoke to a ddm rep he recommended to use tape to minimize noise so i guess ill put some duck tape on top of them
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
never heard of that? what noise is duct tape going to prevent?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
rachel330cic

My Ride: BMW 330cic
I've never heard of it eaither but it makes sense. It prevents metal to metal noise
rachel330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
im wondering if the oem bump stop cut in half like recommend in this thread is better then putting some tape.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=coilover+diy
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel330cic View Post
I've never heard of it eaither but it makes sense. It prevents metal to metal noise
There shouldn't be any metal to metal noise, the plates should be bolted securely to the strut tower.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
99FRC

maybe ur right but i will be installing them next week ill put take on just in case lol if it wont make a difference then its fine and if it will thats even better

custom 3 ur talking about a different thing i belive we dont need bumnp stops with ddm coilovers the tape im talking about goes where the camber plate on top meets the shock tower inside
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
ultraviolet_m

My Ride: E46 325 CI
Send a message via Skype™ to ultraviolet_m
I have the same problem, mine beats on metal like crazy and I was looking for advice on that too. Any suggestions. I believe it happens only when the car is really low to the ground and the nut of the strut meets the strut mount when going through bumps with low speed. Probably some rubber or some Teflon tape?

Pending Current Projects - Full White LED Interior(done)/ ZHP Suspension & Ground Control adjustable coilovers(done)/ Black CF window trim wrapping(almost..)/ ECIS CAI filter replacement(done)/ Sprint Booster(done)
ultraviolet_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
I guess you can try it - wouldn't hurt.

My only concern is that maybe yours are loose somewhere - I've never had any noise coming from my street cars that have camber plates...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post

My only concern is that maybe yours are loose somewhere - I've never had any noise coming from my street cars that have camber plates...
I agree, I'm running the plates that came with my D2's and no noise. Make sure your perches are all tight and not loose. I know a loose perch will cause this, same with adjustable end links or loose bolts. Anyway if your rubbing that tape would only be a short term solution, as rubbing back and forth over time would wear away at it.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 01-03-2011 at 08:03 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote