E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Anyone else have issues with the brakes locking?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=812861
My brakes lock up in the snow when I stop short, but this is expected bc the snow is slippery. An XI won't brake any better in the snow than a non-xi. If yours are locking up too much then you should get better tires for the snow, that's the only thing that will make a difference.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Damn that sux. What speed were you going to cause so much damage?

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Damn that sux. What speed were you going to cause so much damage?
Yeah- and what tires were you using in the snow?

Sorry about the car though pal.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Main thing is that he's not hurt.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #25
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Yeah, thankfully I am not hurt and thankfully I was alone at the time and did not have my gf or 16month old son with me.

It was just one of those stupid fluke things that catches you off guard. Here in my part of PA we've had temps in the high 20s for the last couple days....then it started to snow...which due to the cold temps the snow started to stick and freeze to the roads immediately. I was running Michelin all season tires, not the best for snow, I know. In my prior years I've done a couple dozen HPDE events and consider myself a well educated driver when it comes to car control.....I guess this instance was my maker giving me a reality check.

I turned onto a side road, shifted into third, let out the clutch on exit of the turn (mistake number one), the back end swung slightly to the right, I tried to correct with a small opposite movement of the wheel, snap oversteer on the snow / ice, back end now swung more drastically to the left. Milisecond decision, do I try to correct and steer out of it? If I do and steering does not hook up, I risk head on into the telephone pole. Or do I point the car straight towards the curb and hope the car will hop the curb. I chose option B.

However, once the car impacted the curb, it did not hop it. Instead the front crossmember bore the brunt of the impact causing the damage I listed in my prior thread. Estimated impact speed 15 to 20 mph because the two yaws and braking before impact likely scrubbed off several mph.

I'll find out in a few days if the frame rail can be repaired. If not, I might have a nice parts car. :/

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=813054

Last edited by Mark M; 12-30-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
can we all just buy snow tires please!
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
tifreak

My Ride: 04 325xi
I just washed my car outside in a t-shirt today
tifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifreak View Post
I just washed my car outside in a t-shirt today
Yeah, freaky weather...

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #29
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
doing great...fun times

2003 325xi 5MT