E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
delboylee

My Ride: BMW M3
Wiring question... Help please

Hey guys,

I have an e46 saloon (sedan) which was running the following system before it got stolen. I had a Sony headunit and a 5 channel Alpine amp running my 2 front, 2 rear and my sub. The amp was intalled the boot. The whole system was stolen unfortunately apart from the front and rear speakers. They kindly left the wires for me!

Here's my question... I now have bought a new head unit and want to run my 2 front and 2 rear speakers directly from the head unit, ie. no amp.

As I didn't do the original installation, as far as I can see, the cables that existing in the car are currently 3 phono cables, remote, running to the hole in the dash to the boot. In addition, there are 4 pairs of white speaker cable that were installed and are all now exposed in the boot, I followed this cable and it goes all the way to the front of the car and 'taps' into the loom that the head unit would plug into.

My question is how are the speakers now wired? And what do I need to change to run my speakers directly from the new head unit? I know this isn't ideal but I don't want to get another amp!

Thanks in advance guys.

Derrick

Last edited by delboylee; 01-04-2011 at 04:12 PM.
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Where the speakers tap, is the headunit now disconnected from the speakers?

If yes, you need to repair the cuts.

If no you just need to chop off any exposed metal and thoroughly insulate the wires in the boot.

Do you still have the 5 BMW to ISO adaptor for the headunit?
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
delboylee

I still have the BMW iso adapter. The only exposed wires are the speaker cable in the boot so I don't think I need to do anything up at the front where they tap in? My headunit arrives today so I will plug it in and see what happens. Thanks for the help!
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Arty

I'd check on where the amp power and remote on wires have gotten to also.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
delboylee

Thanks Arty. I have removed the red and black cables already, the remote is still there. My head unit hasnt come yet unfortunately so I cant test but I went to have a look at my cabling left in the car and took some photos. As you can see the white cable (4 pairs) comes from the back of the car (exposed wires at the moment) and into the black plastic part. Would the original cables be in there somewhere?

Cheers

Del

Head unit black hole :

Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Arty

Ah that's a nicer install than you originally described (except for the bullet connectors, tut tut). The factory harness is not cut. Unplug the 17 in adaptor by sliding up the lever lock. Take the blue wires, the speaker wires and the black Sony power plug and ziptie them out of the way behind the glvebox or deep under the radio. There is next to no room behind the headunit for wires.

Next get on eBay, search BMW ISO. Buy a 17 pin to ISO adapter for a fiver (25 at Halfords). Plug it in, lower the locking lever and rotate and shove the 17 pin block back through it's hole into the glovebox area. You need the space. It fits - just - it was installed that way.

Plug the ISO into the new HU ISOs. Slide the new HU back while withdrawing the 17 pin connector and BMW-ISO into the glovebox area with your other hand.

If you want to centre the radio, order a 65900410495 Centre DIN bracket 55.54 $92.76 (Prices may have increased since Q3 2010).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&fg=95&hl=12
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
delboylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Ah that's a nicer install than you originally described (except for the bullet connectors, tut tut). The factory harness is not cut. Unplug the 17 in adaptor by sliding up the lever lock. Take the blue wires, the speaker wires and the black Sony power plug and ziptie them out of the way behind the glvebox or deep under the radio. There is next to no room behind the headunit for wires.

Next get on eBay, search BMW ISO. Buy a 17 pin to ISO adapter for a fiver (25 at Halfords). Plug it in, lower the locking lever and rotate and shove the 17 pin block back through it's hole into the glovebox area. You need the space. It fits - just - it was installed that way.

Plug the ISO into the new HU ISOs. Slide the new HU back while withdrawing the 17 pin connector and BMW-ISO into the glovebox area with your other hand.

If you want to centre the radio, order a 65900410495 Centre DIN bracket 55.54 $92.76 (Prices may have increased since Q3 2010).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&fg=95&hl=12

Thanks arty. I still have the fascia front so can reuse that.

Could I use my existing adapter if I disconnect the white speaker cables? Or will it be easier just to buy a new adapter for the 5 you mention on ebay?