E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #41
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
So another update:

Things have been pretty tough the last month or two. Some personal stuff has gone down that may force us to make decisions we don't want to make if things don't improve by January (or mid-December).

Car is down to $4k and one of my student loans is nearing the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #42
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
^^Keep up the work. Unfortunately plans always change with circumstances and we can't always make as much progress as we'd like.

I had about $6k in unexpected expenses pop up in the last 2 months, so there went my plan of paying off the car by end of year. Add to that another baby on the way (wife will be quitting work in May) and my financial plans are going to change completely.

Hang in there!

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #43
BimmerFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
^^Keep up the work. Unfortunately plans always change with circumstances and we can't always make as much progress as we'd like.

I had about $6k in unexpected expenses pop up in the last 2 months, so there went my plan of paying off the car by end of year. Add to that another baby on the way (wife will be quitting work in May) and my financial plans are going to change completely.

Hang in there!
Thanks man. $6k sound steep, hope you are alright!!

Hanging in there has paid off, we have been struggling, but we just caught a huge break and our income will go up by a decent amount.

Also, I got our Sky hammered out on all of its issues (it was having electrical problems). A fuse was causing 1,000 different things to go wrong and now that I replaced it the car is running stronger than ever!

So no hard decisions, now it is on to enjoying Chicago this November and getting this stuff paid for!!!

Quote:
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #44
BimmerFerret

Another update... still on the upward swing. Income is doing better than ever now and a lot of stress I have been having has been relieved. What is bad is now that now that we've bounced back I'm being tempted at some great car deals... Especially at E46 M3s.

However, I decided to think things over, and did some searching on detailed maintenance costs as well... I think that was enough to scare me out of it for now. I want to have more discretionary income before I consider an E46 M3. I probably could do an M3/4/5, but my wife hates the looks (sorry E36 guys) lol.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #45
BimmerFerret

Alright... End of 2010 Update for me.

Left to go:

Car: $1,558
School Loan 1: ~$350
School Loan 2: ~$1,200.
Medical Debt: $3,487.26

Total: $6,595.26

Highest Interest Rate - Car @ 6.49%
Lowest Interest Rate - Medical Debt @ 0.00%

Highest Payment - Car @ $289/month
Lowest Payment - School Loans @ $50/month

Almost there...

Quote:
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #46
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Good job. Keep it up and debt free will be here before ya know it
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #47
BimmerFerret

Thanks! I'm putting all my monies towards the car right now because of the higher interest rate. After that its the student loans then finally the medical debt.

Quote:
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #48
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
Great job man. I refi'ed the rental property to 4% and used the extra money to make two additional payments a year and still be in the positive every month. That out of the way, traded in the 2010 Corvette at 41K for 2007 E 350 at low 20K. Going try and pay it off this year with blood and guts, lol. Still working, but hell progression always came with hard work!! Dont be like everyone else who wake up and live the life of the Matrix, lol.

PS I know my sig is old, but I did have a car fetish lol

Last edited by dynamictype; 12-29-2010 at 10:53 PM.
dynamictype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #49
BimmerFerret

This is sort of related to the Dave plan... I guess. We just got a huge income boost today. My wife's boss just informed her she can expense the gas from her trips to and from work. Fuuuuuuuck yeah!!! Woohoo! Going to save us about $40/week, if not more!

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #50
BimmerFerret

Big, Big Update!

I paid off our car today!

Man it feels great. We have scaled back quite a bit with extra payments, but now instead of sending that extra $1,000 or $2,000 to the bank. I can now pocket the money. I can also pocket the $289 payment and the interest that I would have paid the bank from that payment.

I know it isn't a $42,000 BMW M Car, 323i, or a PCar, but this car means a lot to my wife and now it is truly ours.

Attached are the "final" payment screens

Now onto my student loans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payoff1.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	389011   Click image for larger version

Name:	payoff2.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	389012  

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #51
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
CONGRATS!

love the "reason"
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #52
BimmerFerret

Thanks man. We are going out to eat tonight for celebration

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #53
SLVR JDM

Congrats! I'm targeting my payoff for April or May. I'll be glad to finally be rid of a car payment, just in time for my wife to have our second baby, quit work, and be a stay at home mom too

Lots of changes in my finances this year for sure!

** Removed **
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #54
ejheverest

My Ride: E90 330i sport
Awesome about the car loan!!! We are focusing on mortgages for this year and will continue to send extra payments to our mortgage on the vacation house and I do the same to the other rental property we have. Looking at selling the rental in 2013 and should have no mortgage on the vacation home at that point. That means we'll be 100% debt free by 2013-2014. (I'll be 31-32 and she'll be 30-31 at that point)
ejheverest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #55
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Awesome about the car loan!!! We are focusing on mortgages for this year and will continue to send extra payments to our mortgage on the vacation house and I do the same to the other rental property we have. Looking at selling the rental in 2013 and should have no mortgage on the vacation home at that point. That means we'll be 100% debt free by 2013-2014. (I'll be 31-32 and she'll be 30-31 at that point)
That is outstanding! Do you have any kids? Now that I'm in baby making mode, I'm seeing how many expenses pop up as a result

** Removed **
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #56
BimmerFerret

Quote:
Congrats! I'm targeting my payoff for April or May. I'll be glad to finally be rid of a car payment, just in time for my wife to have our second baby, quit work, and be a stay at home mom too

Lots of changes in my finances this year for sure!
Thanks! That is awesome about the wife being able to stay home. If we have a couple of kids I would like for my woman to stay home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Thank you

Aweeeeeeeeesome! No mortgage in your early 30s? HOLY CRAP. I mean, you guys should be insanely wealthy by the time your 40 if you just have some common sense!

Quote:
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #57
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
I was on the plane yesterday telling someone 99% of people spend their life working to pay a mortgage and a car note, lol. Congrats!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #58
BimmerFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamictype View Post
I was on the plane yesterday telling someone 99% of people spend their life working to pay a mortgage and a car note, lol. Congrats!!!
Thank you very much and you are exactly right.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #59
ejheverest

My Ride: E90 330i sport
Quote:
That is outstanding! Do you have any kids? Now that I'm in baby making mode, I'm seeing how many expenses pop up as a result
We don't have any kids. I do see some large expenses for us in the next 3 years since she wants to eventually get married and pop a kid out.

I am finding it very difficult to think of even having one kid since it is a huge expense and I'd rather own an E30, E46 and E90 M3.....

Lucky for me I enjoy handling all the major finances and investing decisions we have. We each have 2 401k's, small pensions and I actively trade with my ThinkorSwim account.

I'll be in a completely different career most likely by the time I'm 31 so that will also affect how much we are able to invest and pay down mortgage debt after that point. I have had enough with working for- R I G (ticker)
ejheverest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #60
BimmerFerret

Well, got the official lien release for my car. I also got a letter from the lender congratulating me, but the reminded me that they would be more than happy to give me a loan on a new car. No thanks.

So, now that we have smelled blood, the wife is wanting to accelerate our debt payments. So we may pay off a student loan at the end of the month.

Left to go:

Car: $0.00
School Loan 1: ~$350
School Loan 2: ~$1,200.
Medical Debt: $3,320

Total: $4,870

Highest Interest Rate - Student Loan 1 @ 2.22% (I was wrong about that)
Lowest Interest Rate - Medical Debt @ 0.00%

Highest Payment - Medical Debt @ $167/month
Lowest Payment - School Loans @ $50/month

So after this... 3 to 6 month emergency fund.

Quote: