E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
328I99E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 73
My Ride: BMW
535i / 550i / 335i tough pick ..

Just thinking of getting one of them more into 535 and 550 since 335 is kind of too small looking to spend about $ 30.000 like years 2007 and up around 35k .. what should i know about them before i buy anything ..... Thanks
328I99E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
tootall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 804
My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
5 series is a lot more expensive to maintain than 3 series. So if you are happy with the 335i, it will save you money. I like BMW sixes better than 8s, but the 35 sixes are trouble prone. Once they get the bugs out of it, it should be better than the V8.
__________________
BMWCCA member since 1990
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
BrownMagic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 184
My Ride: Stays topless
For that price range you should be getting something low mileage and probably CPO'ed so not too much to worry about. If you go for the 335, try '08 or newer as I believe they fitted those with an extra oil cooler. The high pressure fuel pumps have been an ongoing issue with the turbo engines but if you find one that has been replaced by the dealer already it will be beneficial, but like I said you are probably going to grab a CPO vehicle anyway so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
__________________
BrownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
328I99E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 73
My Ride: BMW
ok well made my pick going with 535 now i or xi what you guys think ??? pos and neg about them ?? thank you very much
328I99E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
rkhettry23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ridgewood NJ & NYC
Posts: 1,453
My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
I have an 09 535xi and I love it. I have done a few performance mods. (BMS DCI, RPI scoop, and jb3) The car is fantastic IMO. The AWD was great last week. GL with your decision.
__________________
-Raj
2009 535i w/X-Drive

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
kermitthefloer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
xi burns a lot more gas than i. it is also heavier.
__________________
kermitthefloer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
dji203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 318
My Ride: Z4 3.0si, 135is
i got to drive a 535i for about a week as loaner and i personally thought it was too big? 3's get the bad rep for being the "entry level" bimmer but am i crazy to think it's the perfect size for a sedan? and money is not an issue... i just prefer the 3 over the 5.
dji203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Riverbmr3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: H-town
Posts: 4,010
My Ride: slow 3
get the 5's for a bigger space
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328I99E46 View Post
Just thinking of getting one of them more into 535 and 550 since 335 is kind of too small looking to spend about $ 30.000 like years 2007 and up around 35k .. what should i know about them before i buy anything ..... Thanks
I've been looking hard at all these cars since last year summer:

550i vs 535iThe E60 550i is a waste of money compared to the E60 535i.
With the 550i you get worse MPGs and only 60 more HP than a comparable 535i. A 535i with the M Sport Areo kit and M5 rims look like a 550i. In fact, most reviews on the E60 550i pretty much said to skip it's 360 HP engine and either get the just as sporty 535i at 300 HP or the M5 at 500 HP.
CONCLUSION: Your BEST bet is to land a 2008 535i Sport Package (don't get the xi unless you really really need it). You can still find these cars fully loaded with under 50k on the odometer for around $28,000 to $30,000.












E90 335i vs E46 330i
BMW has made the 335i, and all 3 series since 11/2009, more spartan than before. The average E90 335i will be more technologically advanced to an E46 330i but gone are lots of luxury features like proper padded seats, HK surround sound option, ashtray, proper cup holders, seat pockets, foot well lamps, glove box flashlight and charger, etc... The 2008 335i still has the horribly effeminate daily-driver Bangle design and the 2010 - 2011 335i have recall issues with the fuel pump and engine fuel line failure - even if you get one that is trouble free it will in the long term put a dent in resale value and a HUGE cloud over the car's post-warranty reliabilty (see under E46 subframe issue for a great historical example).

CONCLUSION: Your BEST bet is to land a 2009 335i (stay away from the xi and the d models unless you really need it). You can get one with less than 30k on the odometer for around $30,000.









__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Tate325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CO (home) & FL (school)
Posts: 617
My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I've been looking hard at all these cars since last year summer:

550i vs 535iThe E60 550i is a waste of money compared to the E60 535i.
With the 550i you get worse MPGs and only 60 more HP than a comparable 535i. A 535i with the M Sport Areo kit and M5 rims look like a 550i. In fact, most reviews on the E60 550i pretty much said to skip it's 360 HP engine and either get the just as sporty 535i at 300 HP or the M5 at 500 HP.
CONCLUSION: Your BEST bet is to land a 2008 535i Sport Package (don't get the xi unless you really really need it). You can still find these cars fully loaded with under 50k on the odometer for around $28,000 to $30,000.












E90 335i vs E46 330i
BMW has made the 335i, and all 3 series since 11/2009, more spartan than before. The average E90 335i will be more technologically advanced to an E46 330i but gone are lots of luxury features like proper padded seats, HK surround sound option, ashtray, proper cup holders, seat pockets, foot well lamps, glove box flashlight and charger, etc... The 2008 335i still has the horribly effeminate daily-driver Bangle design and the 2010 - 2011 335i have recall issues with the fuel pump and engine fuel line failure - even if you get one that is trouble free it will in the long term put a dent in resale value and a HUGE cloud over the car's post-warranty reliabilty (see under E46 subframe issue for a great historical example).

CONCLUSION: Your BEST bet is to land a 2009 335i (stay away from the xi and the d models unless you really need it). You can get one with less than 30k on the odometer for around $30,000.









i must ask, what makes you so opposed to x-drive?
__________________
-Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
i must ask, what makes you so opposed to x-drive?
I own two cars one is the 2001 330i the other is a 2010 C300 4matic and between the two cars 4matic guzzles gas needlessly and takes away from the sporty-ness (especially trying to launch off from a red light-all wheel drives seems to want to spent a few seconds thinking about what it wants to do after you floor the pedal - rear wheel drive just launches)

We live on the bottom of a hill facing the Hudson river so to drive anywhere involves going up and down steep hills (google Yonkers). In the winters because we are on the river the weather is really bad and can get icey and snowy really quick.
Over the last 4 years of living and driving under these conditions I've come to find that all wheel drive car is not really any advantageous over a well maintained rear wheel drive (or even front wheel drive) car with good all season or winter tires.

Unless I move to Saskatchewan or Calgary I doubt I will ever buy an All Wheel Drive car for urban or suburban driving.

That said I have not driven a BMW X drive car but I can only imagine the experience to be similar to the 4matic.

Like I said unless you are 100% sure you need an all wheel drive car don't go out of your way to buy one and I doubt most people buy BMW sedans to drive them over on mounds of snow or across frozen lakes of black ice.
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Tate325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CO (home) & FL (school)
Posts: 617
My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
you definitely have some valid points. i originally bought an xi for driving in the colorado snow, but have really come to appreciate it for summer driving too. the torque is a front/rear 38/62 split, so it really feels like an rwd car. i have a feeling your Mercedes sends most of its power to the front wheels, so i understand your frustration with it. you should try driving an E46 xi sometime. i think you'd be surprised.
__________________
-Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
delmarco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 6,287
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
you definitely have some valid points. i originally bought an xi for driving in the colorado snow, but have really come to appreciate it for summer driving too. the torque is a front/rear 38/62 split, so it really feels like an rwd car. i have a feeling your Mercedes sends most of its power to the front wheels, so i understand your frustration with it. you should try driving an E46 xi sometime. i think you'd be surprised.
I spent a summer in Leadville Colorado and the drive alone from Denver to Leadville in the middle of June would make me WANT to buy an XI car if I lived there year round.

I mean when a place has snow on the ground in the middle of summer you can imagine what winter will be like.

Yeah I have also heard from the Benz fanatic crowd that the Mercedes Benz 4matic tend to remove all sportiness from the Benz cars which is why the AMG and the 350 and 550 models do not have 4matic.
__________________




VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-08-2011 at 12:56 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,898
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
you definitely have some valid points. i originally bought an xi for driving in the colorado snow, but have really come to appreciate it for summer driving too. the torque is a front/rear 38/62 split, so it really feels like an rwd car. i have a feeling your Mercedes sends most of its power to the front wheels, so i understand your frustration with it. you should try driving an E46 xi sometime. i think you'd be surprised.
I've driven several xi cars... E46 325xi, E46 330xi, X5 3.0i, X3 3.0si, E60 525xi, and E60 535xi. I really do not like the feel of the cars compared to their RWD equivalents - especially when comparing to a ZSP RWD model. BMW does RWD really well... only thing missing is the LSD on the non-Ms.

About 550i vs 535i... If you're not a fan of the turbocharged feel, then I'd say go with the 550i (ideally the M-sport). The N54 is a great engine, but there definitely is a slight lag before the turbo spools up completely. If you don't mind the slight turbo lag, definitely go with the 535 and then chip it. I've seen mildly tuned 535s keep up w/ E39 M5s...
__________________

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
ILLuSioNz X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: All Over NJ...
Posts: 653
My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
i've driven the newer turbo 5-series, the power is definately there, and the car feels pretty torquey, i don't see the need to upgrade to a 550, when the lower models will suffice.
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Tate325xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CO (home) & FL (school)
Posts: 617
My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
What you also have to take in mind are the JB and Dinan upgrades that crank up the boost, making the TT I6 potentially much faster then the V8.
__________________
-Tate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
rkhettry23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ridgewood NJ & NYC
Posts: 1,453
My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
My 535xi (6sp) is tuned with Juice Box3 2.0 running only on map 4 (out of 7) and its very very quick.
__________________
-Raj
2009 535i w/X-Drive

2002 325xi--Parted Out

Last edited by rkhettry23; 01-11-2011 at 06:19 PM.
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
rcsummers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suburbia, NJ
Posts: 3,729
My Ride: M3
go 535i

you get the best of both. TT inline six + all the extra room. and you can easily mod the TT6 to 350+ hp/lbft
__________________
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
rkhettry23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ridgewood NJ & NYC
Posts: 1,453
My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
go 535i

you get the best of both. TT inline six + all the extra room. and you can easily mod the TT6 to 350+ hp/lbft
Plus better gas mileage! (Than v8)


__________________
-Raj
2009 535i w/X-Drive

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
ItsMeTyler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 10
My Ride: 3 Series
335i All The Way....
ItsMeTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use